Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Play Games At Restaurant Table for $2 on their tablet.

by RichardM » Mon May 09, 2016 10:53 pm

As usual on Monday evening Suzi and I were in the Southend and chose Olive Garden because we have a coupon. (We so wish there were more independent restaurants) We go in and get a table within 6 minutes. There on the table is a Ziosk. Much like Chili's you can get appetizers, drinks, desert or pay your bill at the end of a meal. BUT, in this case you can pay $2 and play games on the small tablet computer provided by the restaurant.

So what do you think of this?

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Play Games At Restaurant Table for $2 on their tablet.

by Mark R. » Mon May 09, 2016 11:36 pm

It's something we just ignore whatever a restaurant has them. It is a more convenient way to pay the bill sometimes instead of having to wait for the waitress but other than that they are totally useless. I put them in the same category as parents who allow their children to bring in video games to play while eating dinner, then need to learn better table manners!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue May 10, 2016 5:59 am

:(
What a shame. No conversation over a meal. No ideas shared, no thoughts exchanged.
(Heavy sigh)
And like Mark, I think it's a poor substitute for child amusement. Why not engage them in conversation and use the time to find out what's on their mind?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue May 10, 2016 7:30 pm

Man, I hate these things. Maybe the essence of a dining experience is evolving, or maybe this is just trashing up the place. I can't tell yet, but I am not a fan. The real kicker is that most of these places already have huge TV's to keep you from noticing that your meal has been microwaved from the freezer.

I blame hipsters and millennials. :lol:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Thu May 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Red Robin has something like that too...but I also very much prefer service from real live people!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Fri May 20, 2016 8:09 am

I guess the Olive Garden tablets are to distract their guests from the food.