Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ loves Gospel Bird but only finds 3 1/2 stars

by Robin Garr » Wed May 04, 2016 12:41 pm

The CJ just loves Gospel Bird, an justly so. I'm not sure why only 3 1/2 stars, since it reads like a teen-ager's love note.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /82955736/
no avatar
User

paula.evans

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Re: CJ loves Gospel Bird but only finds 3 1/2 stars

by paula.evans » Mon May 09, 2016 10:57 am

We went there on Sunday afternoon about 1:15 pm. Called right before we left the house and they had a table for 4 for us. The smells when you hit the outside of the restaurant were phenomenal. My sister and I had the fried chicken with the cauliflower grits and a biscuit and both of us went with the honey hot sauce. Delicious sauce and the chicken crust was crunchy, flakey and with just the right amount of heat and spices. While we could have gotten more chicken if we so desired the 2 white pieces we had were more than satisfying with the grits. My husband had the chilliquilles and declared them a hit - he loved the chorizo sausage, the sauce and the over easy eggs on top. He said it was more than he should have eaten but he clearly did not regret it. My mom had the Yard Bird chicken sandwich which had the same crisp exterior as the fried chicken, along with a wonderful pickled slaw, cheese and a terrific spicy sauce and their gospel frites which were crispy but moist on the inside. We all had iced tea and could not stop drinking it. Some of the freshest and best brewed iced tea I had enjoyed in a while. In all, we had a great time! Their bar area inside is very nice and they've done a terrific job building out the patio out back. We'll definitely be back again!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon May 09, 2016 12:05 pm

I looked it up. This is at 207 E. Main St. in New Albany. It's on Main near the intersection with Bank Street about 2-3 blocks east of The Exchange and Feast.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat May 14, 2016 2:33 pm

My wife and I stopped here Friday night on our way to a concert at Horseshoe. I'm generally suspicious of the upscale chicken places that have popped up recently, but we were thoroughly impressed with Gospel Bird. I had the Thunder Thighs dinner and she had Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits, with the crab dip as an appetizer. The thigh dinner had two boneless chicken thighs, heavily battered and deep fried with honey hot sauce on the side, a biscuit and an order of mac and cheese. I gave my wife a taste and she demanded that we split the entrees and share them. She loved the shrimp & grits (compared them to Silver Dollar's) but she loved the chicken a bit more.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Richard S. » Sat May 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Only related to Gospel Bird because they're next door to each other, but why in this day and age is there a Redman Club?
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat May 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Richard S. wrote:but why in this day and age is there a Redman Club?

Probably for the same reason there ar still Knights of Columbus, Sones of the Confederacy, DAR, Masonic Temples, etc.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Richard S. » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Made a return trip here over the weekend and lost most of the enthusiasm I had for the place. The Thunder Thighs and the crab dip appetizer have both disappeared from the menu. My wife had the ribs, which were overcooked and extremely salty. I had the fried chicken, which was pretty good but a disappointment after finding out the thigh dish was gone. Service was great, though.