Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We hunt for culinary trophies at La Chasse

by Robin Garr » Wed May 04, 2016 11:24 am

We hunt for culinary trophies at La Chasse

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Fennel and citrus braised fried rabbit at La Chasse.

Sure, Louisville is named after a French king - Louis XVI, who later lost his head in the French Revolution - but let’s face it: This decision didn’t make us French.

Consider the obvious: Louisville has had damn few French restaurants over 238 years of corporate identity. Save for the long-running Le Relais and the attractive Brasserie Provence, French restaurants don’t come often, and they don’t usually stay long.

So I’m happy to report that our latest French arrival, La Chasse, which opened last autumn in the Highlands quarters vacated by Palermo Viejo, looks like a keeper. It builds on the strengths of its founders, Chef Alexander Dulaney, who came from Le Relais; and Isaac Fox, who presides over the front of the house, from Volare.

Palermo Viejo had a cozy atmosphere; so does La Chasse. At first glance, you might think it hasn’t changed much. But a closer look reveals a substantial redo, with thoughtful, urbane decor that speaks more of Paris than Provence. Think of a neighborhood bistro - earth tones, painted brick, a few paintings - that sets a comfortable feel, then stays out of the way. Same goes for earth-color tablecloths and napkins, fine but unobtrusive flatware and plates, and classy wine glasses.

A stylish bar now runs full-length, and it offers a thoughtful drinks program, which features creative cocktails sorted by style and a well-chosen, international wine list with most bottles starting around $40 and wines by the glass around $10.

La Chasse defines itself as “farm to table inspired French and Spanish fusion,” although I’d spread a broader net, calling it French-accented with highlights from Old World and New alike. Perhaps it’s the rabbit and elk entrees that underscore the name “La Chasse,” meaning “the chase” or “the hunt.” ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5574

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2016/05/hunt-c ... und-many//

La Chasse
1359 Bardstown Road
822-3963
http://lachasselouisville.com
http://facebook.com/LaChasseLouisville
Robin Garr's rating: 87 points
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Re: We hunt for culinary trophies at La Chasse

by Bill Veneman » Mon May 09, 2016 11:53 am

La Chasse has fast become on of my go to staples for the simple reasons that 1) the hospitality can't be beat, 2) the food is to-die-for incredible, and 3) Chef Alex ALWAYS has something intriguing up his sleeve for specials!

Isaac and Alex have teamed up to produce a product that not only filled a niche on Bardstown Road, but have also made it feel as welcoming as your own dining room with excellent service. The staff is not only proficient, they are actually glad to see you and answer your questions.

Isaac behind the bar is a true master! I've often caught myself watching him at his craft. And I am assured of a grand evening when I park the car and am walking to the door while my nose catch the undeniable whiff of wood smoke coming from the grill.

If you've not been go! Price wise, it's inline with the neighborhood. And you won't think twice about it!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Wed May 11, 2016 7:22 pm

I had a great time there. Service was excellent, great cocktails. The food was good but weird. I felt bad so I didn't ask for the salt shaker but I needed to. It was still a good experience.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 12, 2016 7:45 am

Adam C wrote:The food was good but weird.

Yeah, we felt like that with some of the dishes. Overall, though, an excellent experience.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri May 13, 2016 11:01 am

This is my #1 restaurant in town right now. My wife and I love it. The food does push the envelope, and occasionally misses, but there is a lot of thought, effort and skill going into this food. nothing is being mailed in.

The service is top drawer and the cocktail/wine program is excellent as well.
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Tue May 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks to everyone for the kind words! It's been a crazy few months after opening, and we are always looking to smooth out wrinkles, receive guest feedback, and continually improve every detail we can. We look forward to improving our product, atmosphere, and service each month.

Bill, it's always a treat to see you at the bar or at table 31. I know it's going to be a good night when you come in the door!

Ron, I can't tell you how much your support has meant to all of us here on the staff. We look forward to seeing you all again soon!

Adam, don't ever hesitate to ask for the salt! :D However, I'll pass this along to the Chef, and see if we can make the need for added salt disappear entirely. I unfortunately can't put a face with the first name here, so please introduce yourself to me next time you're in, and I'll do my absolute best to ensure that you (and all of our patrons) have an exceptional dining experience!

Robin, so glad you and Mary were finally able to make it in after we unfortunately had to cancel your last reservation due to our electrical issue. We felt terrible about that, but canceling 92 reservations is just plain depressing.... Hopefully, these issues are now in the past and we can keep moving forward! Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:25 pm

My fiance, parents and I had dinner there a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed and honestly thought it to be better than LeRelais. Especially after they changed chefs the place has gone down hill. LeRelais is tired and Louisville needed a new, fresh "French" restaurant. Excellent service (except for the part where our server failed to tell us the about $75 price tag of the bottle we ordered after pouring our glasses, just assumed we would pay for it. weird). Great cocktail list and perfectly crafted drinks. I'll definitely be back.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:23 pm

It makes me sad, but I agree. Le Relais was so fine for so many years, and the venue is one of the city's most pleasant. But in my opinion you nailed it with "tired."
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:06 pm

neal.johnson wrote:...better than LeRelais...

I don't agree. My visits to Le Relais have far surpassed two visits to La Chasse based on food, service, ambience and entertainment. No question. I will give La Chasse another shot, though, as others seem to have had better experiences than I have.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:33 pm

Good to know, Jay. It's been a year or two for me. My last two visits were both disappointing, and with the toll for Le Relais, that took it off my "visit regularly" list. I'd be happy if they did get back on track, though, and with your testimony, I might just have to try it again soon. :)
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:39 am

I have always been a big Le Relais fan, but for whatever reason it has slipped a few notches. Still beautiful space and ambience, and one of the most attentive and caring owners in the biz, but just too many missteps during a recent dinner there. Our server was clearly in over his head. Our bottle of wine didn't arrive until well after the food, despite having been ordered at the outset of the meal. We only received it when we told Anthony, who was very apologetic. The food was ok, but not exciting and perfectly executed as it has been in the past. I think that Anthony is plagued by employee turnover and having to teach new people. I could be wrong, and maybe it was just an "off night" We will certainly give them another chance in the future.