Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Who's been to Doc's Cantina?

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Who's been to Doc's Cantina?

by Robin Garr » Tue May 03, 2016 1:44 pm

What did you think? Good, bad or indifferent, don't hold back!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Who's been to Doc's Cantina?

by Carla G » Tue May 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Frankly I've been holding off because I haven't heard a single good report on them yet.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue May 03, 2016 3:33 pm

I had a margarita there. Seemed like the bar was either weeded, or the bar staff was pretty green from how the drink was constructed, and how long it took the staff to create it. Holding the glass in hand while constructing the cocktail, using the bar top to assemble ingredients, not using the drink mat below the bar, using the cocktail shaker to scoop ice. It was a strange experience. Especially when the margarita was pretty underwhelming.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue May 03, 2016 4:07 pm

I've tried, even got a table. But after 10 minutes of not being acknowledged by ANYBODY, I left. It wasn't busy at all, and staff was buzzing all around, but I was ignored.

I may go back, but right now there're too many great places to go to worry about it.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Brett Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 pm

by Brett Davis » Wed May 04, 2016 10:56 am

I've been!

Just thought I would jump in and let you guys know what has been going on.

First off, Bill, I'm sorry you had that experience. Please come back in!

I will admit we have had a rough start. We slightly underestimated the volume and way overestimated our preparedness for it. We actually shut down for two days at the beginning of last week to retrain the staff and re-strategize our approach. Since then, the food has been coming out more consistent and way better overall. Service is slowly getting there as well. The runner system we use takes some getting used to with a staff that is not accustomed to it.

One of the decisions we made last week was to stop taking reservations outside of large private parties. This has cut our wait time in half and has helped the flow at the front door, bar, dining room and kitchen. We have also had some POS issues that have mostly been resolved that were wreaking havoc on the wait staff and kitchen crew.

What I can assure all of you is we are improving every day in all departments. We went through this at Doc Crow's as well and like Doc Crow's we are working on how to make all aspects better every day. We still have a few rough patches here and there but those patches are getting and will continue to get smaller and smaller. If you come in and are not satisfied, PLEASE let the manager on duty know so they can try to fix whatever has gone wrong and have the chance to turn your experience around.

Thank you for your patience!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed May 04, 2016 7:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:What did you think? Good, bad or indifferent, don't hold back!

Check out viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23994
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:What did you think? Good, bad or indifferent, don't hold back!

Check out viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23994

Thanks for the reminder, Andrew!
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri May 06, 2016 9:56 am

Brett Davis wrote:I've been!

Just thought I would jump in and let you guys know what has been going on. ...

I'm glad you got your POS issues fixed. That was apparent even on soft open, and was clearly a big part of why our waiter was struggling so badly.
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Tue May 10, 2016 12:43 pm

We were pretty excited to check this place out, but to be honest, the people I know who have gone have all had similar bad experiences, so we have not ventured down there yet. In addition, the majority of the facebook reviews are terrible and mostly mirror the experiences our friends have had. In a town so full of amazing choices, we are likely to steer clear of one with so many red flags :(