Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Fresh Thyme grocery

by SilvioM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:51 am

It opened this week. Has anyone been? Is it like/unlike other places here? Curious to know, thanks for any info. I might be in that area later today, will check in if I can.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Fresh Thyme grocery

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:34 am

Here's one short forum report!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24039
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:38 am

Richard and I went opening day - his idea, not mine. It is small but has a good variety. They make good use of every square inch. Much like Lucky's and Fresh Market. So far the quality of what we bought is very good to excellent. The Boar's Head cooked prime rib from the deli made a great roast beef sandwich and Rich said the pastrami is the best he has had this side of NYC. The nuts and candy we got at bulk foods were fresh and good. The salt water taffy was the only letdown, OK, but not great.

Most of the prices that were not sales were cheaper than Whole Foods, more in line with Lucky's. I looked at their sale flyers on line for other areas and if you shop sales, they are very competitive, even with Krogers.

Several of the employees I recognized from the other 3 markets (Fresh Market, Lucky's, Whole Foods) and from the departed Earth Fare. They issue coupons on-line and you can scan it from your phone at checkout. Omce the opening frenzy is over, we will see how they do.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:16 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:Richard and I went opening day - his idea, not mine. It is small but has a good variety. They make good use of every square inch. Much like Lucky's and Fresh Market. So far the quality of what we bought is very good to excellent. The Boar's Head cooked prime rib from the deli made a great roast beef sandwich and Rich said the pastrami is the best he has had this side of NYC. The nuts and candy we got at bulk foods were fresh and good. The salt water taffy was the only letdown, OK, but not great.

Most of the prices that were not sales were cheaper than Whole Foods, more in line with Lucky's. I looked at their sale flyers on line for other areas and if you shop sales, they are very competitive, even with Krogers.

Several of the employees I recognized from the other 3 markets (Fresh Market, Lucky's, Whole Foods) and from the departed Earth Fare. They issue coupons on-line and you can scan it from your phone at checkout. Omce the opening frenzy is over, we will see how they do.

+1
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:14 pm

We just dropped by a few minutes ago, on the way home from Whole Foods. :oops:

My take is similar only different: It looks a bit like a Whole Foods, but its selection and pricing is more in line with a Kroger. They don't show me any evidence whatsoever of the quality control and preference for organic that makes me willing to pay Whole Foods' prices. The chirpy, eager staff are reminiscent of Trader Joe's.

My sense of it is that they hope to carve a chunk out of the Kroger/Meijer's space by presenting an experience that feels more like a Wegman's than a corporate grocery store. But it's no way a replacement for Whole Foods, and the clientele that wants organic and natural is going to recognize that immediately.

Also, it's a chain, and I'll continue to give preference to Rainbow Blossom when I can, because it's local.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Sorry about the topic doubling, didn't scroll down.

I can't think of any reason why I'd stray from my regular spots, but it's more convenient than Lucky's and Fresh Market, so I'm curious.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:31 pm

Robin Garr wrote:We just dropped by a few minutes ago, on the way home from Whole Foods. :oops:

My take is similar only different: It looks a bit like a Whole Foods, but its selection and pricing is more in line with a Kroger. They don't show me any evidence whatsoever of the quality control and preference for organic that makes me willing to pay Whole Foods' prices. The chirpy, eager staff are reminiscent of Trader Joe's.

My sense of it is that they hope to carve a chunk out of the Kroger/Meijer's space by presenting an experience that feels more like a Wegman's than a corporate grocery store. But it's no way a replacement for Whole Foods, and the clientele that wants organic and natural is going to recognize that immediately.

Also, it's a chain, and I'll continue to give preference to Rainbow Blossom when I can, because it's local.

This was pretty much my impression minus the "chirpy, eager staff." All in all, a disappointment.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:44 pm

James Natsis wrote:This was pretty much my impression minus the "chirpy, eager staff."

I guess we got lucky. :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:07 pm

I tried visiting around 4 or 5 PM today and there was nary a parking spot anywhere with a line of cars circling the lot airing for someone to leave.
I'll wait.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Thu May 05, 2016 4:25 pm

And...today there is a coupon in my email for $5/25 purchase at Lucky's. :wink: I love grocery wars...
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Fri May 06, 2016 9:43 am

Opening day, we stopped by, and saw no parking available around store. Entered at the light by Heine Bros., so drove behind them to the big parking lot and parked there - away from Heine Bros.
That was opening day. There may be no parking signs put up since then.
Using the traffic light helped.
With just the two of us, there are too many grocery choices 'near' us so we pick and choose, depending on what we like at each one.
Prospect Kroger has the growler fill, so we will go there, maybe once a week.
Prefer Trader Joe's over Luckys but TJ doesn't have the butcher shop and Luckys has growler fills.
Whole Foods to walk through once a month or so to check out any perimeter specials. (miss Friday Night Flights)
Did buy a few things at Earth Fare and was my closest grocery.
My husband likes the coffee at Fresh Market.
We like Paul's especially their prepared spreads, salads, sides.
To think that the west end doesn't have these choices.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri May 06, 2016 9:55 am

They have a few things there that I haven't been able to find elsewhere very easily, at least not without driving out to the south end, including nice ground goat, ground venison, etc.
no avatar
User

Catie Sparks

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:12 am

by Catie Sparks » Mon May 09, 2016 3:45 pm

My husband and I went, armed with our $5 off $25 coupon. Our impression: exactly like Lucky's, except no bar. Lucky's has really spoiled us on being about to shop while sipping on a beer. Plus, Lucky's is much for convenient for us (we try to avoid St. Matthews traffic if at all possible). If we lived in the neighborhood we could probably frequent, but I cannot see ourselves ever going back there.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 09, 2016 4:48 pm

We've been twice and really like it, probably a little better than Lucky's because they're pretty seems to be better. The fact that Lucky's has the beer bar doesn't affect us one way or the other, not they opened a bourbon bar it would be something completely different! I just wish it was a better more accessible location, almost anytime of the day that section of Shelbyville Road has terrible traffic. The only good thing is that you can use the traffic light in front of Heine Bros to get out.

It won't be a place we go to every week because it really doesn't do anything that different than the places we regularly shop but it will be an occasional place we shop just for some variety. They also had a nice selection of prepared foods for quick meals.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue May 10, 2016 8:33 am

Yeah, traffic in that area can be a bear. Coming from Crescent Hill, I avoid it by coming at Fresh Thyme via Brownsboro, Hubbards, and the Beechwood Village side streets. Never have to go out on Shelbyville Rd if I don't want to.
Next