Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Fresh Thyme grocery

by SilvioM » Tue May 10, 2016 3:25 pm

I went and it also reminded me of Lucky's, even though I've only been there twice. Curious that they are so similar in style, even layout. It is fine, but they don't have much that my current choices do not have, so I doubt I'll become a regular. Some of their current intro specials and sales are nice.
no avatar
User

Susan Mann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:53 pm

by Susan Mann » Fri May 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Haven't been there because of the crowds. Although I live in the St. Matt's area, I doubt if I will go there very often. I don't buy farmed fish (except Whole Foods shellfish and Scottish salmon) and I was put off by Fresh Thyme's description (flier) of their fish as "fresh water." Their meat is often described as "natural," a particularly squirrelly term.

Looks like a good place to pick up kettle chips or marmalade, perhaps.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Susan Mann wrote:Haven't been there because of the crowds. Although I live in the St. Matt's area, I doubt if I will go there very often. I don't buy farmed fish (except Whole Foods shellfish and Scottish salmon) and I was put off by Fresh Thyme's description (flier) of their fish as "fresh water." Their meat is often described as "natural," a particularly squirrelly term.

Looks like a good place to pick up kettle chips or marmalade, perhaps.

I find it strange that you make a decision like this without ever having visited the store. You may feel that way afterwards but having a predisposed position that may be based on something you've heard isn't giving the store chance. It's certainly not our favorite but they do have some things that are more interesting than what some of the stores in the area have. Delegating them to the same category as a Fast Fare certainly isn't giving them enough credit.

Also most of their prices are much more reasonable than "Whole Paycheck"
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri May 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Wait, you're saying they described a salt water fish as a fresh water one?
no avatar
User

Cynthia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:46 pm

by Cynthia L » Fri May 20, 2016 3:48 pm

They have had shrimp in the advertisement from fresh water.
Not sure that is what we want to cook.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Cynthia L wrote:They have had shrimp in the advertisement from fresh water.

The majority of shrimp you find in stores and restaurants these days are farm raised and all farm raised shrimp and I'm aware of our freshwater. Not sure what that has to do with wanting to use them or not? Actually in many cases they probably grow in water that's better than a lot of seawater

no avatar
User

Susan Mann

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Susan Mann » Sat May 21, 2016 8:54 pm

"Fresh water" does mean farmed shrimp, which I find inferior in taste, texture, and generally healthfulness to wild, salt-water shrimp. If you prefer farmed, great; I grew up on the Atlantic and I don't. You can easily get wild shrimp at Fresh Market or Whole Foods. Yes, wild shrimp is more expensive and I think they're worth it. My comments on Wild Thyme are based on their own advertising flier, as stated in my earlier post.
no avatar
User

Susan Mann

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Susan Mann » Sat May 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Cynthia L wrote:They have had shrimp in the advertisement from fresh water.

The majority of shrimp you find in stores and restaurants these days are farm raised and all farm raised shrimp and I'm aware of our freshwater. Not sure what that has to do with wanting to use them or not? Actually in many cases they probably grow in water that's better than a lot of seawater

"Some information about shrimp included the Consumer's Report:

Americans eat, on average, nearly 4 pounds of shrimp per person each year, and the amount is increasing.
Nearly 94 percent of the U.S. shrimp supply is imported.
FDA examined 3.7 percent of foreign shrimp shipments in 2014 and tested 0.7 percent.
Raw, farmed shrimp from Bangladesh and India were the most likely to carry bacteria, with 83 and 74 percent tainted, respectively.
Raw, wild-caught shrimp from Argentina and the U.S. were the least likely to be tainted, at 33 and 20 percent, respectively.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon May 23, 2016 11:14 am

I have not yet been, but just was told that according to the butcher they always carry a selection of game (bison, elk, venison, et al). Can anyone confirm if that's true? If so, it's enough of a reason for me to hit them on occasion!
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 23, 2016 11:46 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:I have not yet been, but just was told that according to the butcher they always carry a selection of game (bison, elk, venison, et al). Can anyone confirm if that's true? If so, it's enough of a reason for me to hit them on occasion!

I don't know if I always carry it but they certainly had it when we were there.

Previous