Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Shalimar in the CJ

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Shalimar in the CJ

by SilvioM » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:15 pm

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /82801676/

I've learned how to read her reviews -- skip the first half (past the pic of the vegetarian appetizer platter) and you avoid the pained exposition and get straight to the comments about food. Really, it works. I've not been to Shalimar, but it sounds good.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Shalimar in the CJ

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:27 pm

SilvioM wrote:I've learned how to read her reviews -- skip the first half (past the pic of the vegetarian appetizer platter) and you avoid the pained exposition and get straight to the comments about food. Really, it works. I've not been to Shalimar, but it sounds good.

Thanks for the pro tip, Silvio. :lol:

I hadn't gotten there yet this week. I appreciate you taking it on!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:36 pm

SilvioM wrote:

I've learned how to read her reviews -- skip the first half (past the pic of the vegetarian appetizer platter) and you avoid the pained exposition and get straight to the comments about food. Really, it works. I've not been to Shalimar, but it sounds good.

Shalimar is very good. I agree with her stars. Has a pretty nice buffet at lunch.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:11 pm

I tried their buffet years ago and was completely underwhelmed. It hasn't really been on my radar since then(mainly because it's out in the sticks) until a couple months ago when I had dinner there with a buddy. Dinner was fantastic, I've gone back a couple times since then. Can't easily get out there for the buffet, but if it's on par with the dinner it'll be killer.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:31 pm

Josh A wrote:I tried their buffet years ago and was completely underwhelmed. It hasn't really been on my radar since then(mainly because it's out in the sticks) until a couple months ago when I had dinner there with a buddy. Dinner was fantastic, I've gone back a couple times since then. Can't easily get out there for the buffet, but if it's on par with the dinner it'll be killer.

How was the service? I liked Shalimar when it was new ('90s) but found that after a while the service seemed to mirror Kashmir: Unsmiling, sullen, reluctant. This can kind of take the edge off even a decent meal. I'd be glad to know if it's not like that nowadays.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:19 am

I did some family work for an Indian family with beautiful twin baby girls. Every time I entered the home it was filled with amazing, mouthwatering aromas from mom's cooking. I asked her where they liked to eat out when they wanted a treat . She believed Shalimar was the only authentic Indian restaurant with which to bother. (Shrugs....)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:12 pm

Shalimar is our 'go to' for Indian. The food is always consistent and the service is great.
no avatar
User

stacey.borah

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:48 pm

by stacey.borah » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 pm

I also love Shalimar. Hubs and I have been going there for 12ish years now. They did have a rough patch several years back when the service took a nosedive. Happy to say its back to what it should be and I love love love their lunch buffet. My favorite Indian buffet in the city ( I also enjoy dakshin and shandaar, for what it's worth).

And now I'm hungry.....