Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Shout out to Monnick!!!

no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Shout out to Monnick!!!

by Carol C » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:50 pm

Saturday we went to Monnick with 2 other couples and we were all a bit skeptical after looking at the menu :roll: . Everything we had was wonderful!!! The Spent Grain bread with beer cheese was to die for! Several of us had the Saubratuen which was fantastic; several had the burger and fries (which may the best fries I've ever had!) and another had the Breakfast special and totally licked his plate!!! I'm not a beer drinker but those were truly seemed to enjoy their brews :) . Definitiely recommend and we can't wait to go back!!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Shout out to Monnick!!!

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks for the report, Carol! For some reason, Monnick has been a little under my radar. I will raise its profile soon ...
no avatar
User

Troy Schuster

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:39 pm

by Troy Schuster » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Thats great to hear! I wish my experiences were similar. Beers great! Food and service i thought needs attn. but hopefully they have stepped up there game. I want to like that place so much.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:42 am

I second that shout! Sure, much of my enthusiasm is down to my love for Belgian/European ales. Their Saison focus is certainly in my wheelhouse. Still, I do find their food to be quite good. The sauerbraten is very good (not Gasthaus good, but is at least much cheaper) as are their burgers and English style pies. I do hope they expand the menu a bit, or repeat some of their specials (schweinshaxe was a treat!), but those war fries alone keep me coming back. Who knew peanut sauce goes so well with frites?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:52 am

I've only eaten there three times, but I thought the food was both distinctive and good. Got the pork pot pie, war fries, and curry beans and liked them all a lot.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

LOCATION!

by Jay M. » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:52 am

I've seen it spelled Monnik, too.

In the old Zeppelin at 1036 Burnett Ave. in Schnitzelburg. This is across the street from Check's Cafe and a few blocks from DANNY MAC'S place. This is fast becoming another "restaurant row".

(Major nearby intersection would be Eastern Parkway and Poplar Level Road.)

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: LOCATION!

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Jay M. wrote:(Major nearby intersection would be Eastern Parkway and Poplar Level Road.)

There's also a traffic light at Eastern and Burnett, isn't there? That makes it relatively easy to find, then a straight shot north to the about-to-be-restaurant-row?
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:There's also a traffic light at Eastern and Burnett, isn't there? That makes it relatively easy to find, then a straight shot north to the about-to-be-restaurant-row?

Yes. I believe there is a florist at EP and Burnett intersection.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Yes. I believe there is a florist at EP and Burnett intersection.

It seems to me that there was once a very short-lived restaurant in that location, but I may just be making that up.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jay M. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Yes. I believe there is a florist at EP and Burnett intersection.

It seems to me that there was once a very short-lived restaurant in that location, but I may just be making that up.

There was a restaurant in that building. Can't remember what it was called but two ladies ran it. One got sick and they had to close.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Steve Shade wrote:There was a restaurant in that building. Can't remember what it was called but two ladies ran it. One got sick and they had to close.

I seem to recall that they were friends of Ms. Reigler, and got a glowing CJ review that didn't help prevent it from closing after just a few months. :oops: