Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

North End Cafe

no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

North End Cafe

by Sherrie G » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:39 pm

After months, and months and months, of trying to get hubby to try North End Cafe, he finally agreed this past Monday. He called and asked me if I made reservations, as he was running a little late at work. I said, "no, I don't think it will be a problem getting in on a Monday night."

Funny thing, the "problem getting in" was not due to hordes of people wanting to dine there, but due to the doors being locked. :lol:

Just a heads up to y'all... North End Cafe is now closed on Mondays, even though their website says they are open "Seven days a week".

Hopefully I can get hubby to go again...maybe tonight if I'm lucky. It sounds like many people on this forum enjoy NEC and I want to see what it's all about.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:09 pm

NEC is one of our favorite spots. We go for the burgers! They are really good. Plus the baked goat cheese! Keep working on him.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

Guess we should fix that!

by Nora Boyle » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:10 am

Hi, I've only been working for Christopher this last month. I've really enjoyed being on his team, and know that the "closed on Mondays" is very recent. In fact he made exception with the way the holidays fell this year and was open Christmas eve, as well as new years so it's very few mondays this has been in effect! I'll bring it to his attention tomorrow. I certainly hope that it won't let it stop you from trying us out. Especially the day-tiime menu which is the one I'm always working. I love anybody that will serve a decent brekky 'till 3pm Tuesday thru Sunday. Even before I worked for him. Just so we're clear.....we are open every day from 8am until 10 pm.....except for monday.
Nora
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Great food, great service

by Sherrie G » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:41 pm

Hubby, his dad, and I made it in just days later. We started with the Hummus appetizer. For dinner, typically none of us order the same thing. I'm the steak eater in the group. Hubby and his dad usually order the seafood dishes. I guess we were all in the mood for steak 'cause we all tried the Flat Iron steak. There wasn't a morsel left on any of our plates. It was great. And my FIL and I both ordered the bread pudding for dessert which was very good (my favorite bread pudding in the city so far).

Our server, Bryan (?), was great. He had a dry sense of humor which I love. He looked so serious most of the time, but then he would crack a joke that had us all laughing. We had mentioned this was our first time in and Bryan (?) told us about the huge breakfast they offer and even brought us over some menus to look at while we waited for our meal to arrive.

Nora, don' worry... we made it in and we'll be back to try breakfast, or lunch or maybe for another dinner. Thanks for getting the website updated so quickly. And I'll be sending you a PM.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

NEC.

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Sherrie, I have literally had everything on North End's breakfast menu. I love breakfast and NE's is way up there. Some of my personal faves are the steak and eggs, migas and corned beef hash. You really can't go wrong. Enjoy.

Here is a pic of the corned beef hash they serve.

Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sherrie G » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:56 pm

Doogy,

Thanks for the info on NE. It took some prodding to get my husband to go so I was disappointed when we arrived and found them closed (but crud, shouldn't a place that serves 3 squares-a-day get one day off?). Hubby probably figured it would be like when I took him to Toast: a lot of hype, a long wait and service which took away from the food experience. We love Wild Eggs (even though I believe service can be slow), but I liked having Toast as another option. I can't wait to add NE into the mix.

Someday, if no one else does it, I'm going to start a thread on "The forumite you'd most like to meet". (Maybe that's already been done. Or everyone knows everyone else.) The forumites I'm most like to meet would start out with you, Ron Johnson, Leah S and Marcia. You, Ron, Leah and Marcia always have intriguing posts. They are informative, humorous, and unlike mine, they are usually succinct. Thanks for your words of taste-dom.

Finally, thanks for your tip on spell-check. I had been doing it the way you recommend (when I have time or the inclination) but didn't know if there was an easier way that I overlooked.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Kindness.

by Doogy R » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Sherrie, thanks for the kind words. You are much too generous with your compliments, but again, thanks for the kind thoughts.

As always....wherever you go, and with whoever you take along...
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: North End Cafe

by Jay M. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm

Sherrie G wrote:Hopefully I can get hubby to go again...maybe tonight if I'm lucky. It sounds like many people on this forum enjoy NEC and I want to see what it's all about.

Tell hubby another hubby here highly recommends it. :) We were just there this past Friday night after a long absence. The scallops and grits were a major hit, and my wife loved her cheese enchiladas.

I noted that they offer several vegetarian options that looked really good on the menu to this non-vegetarian.
no avatar
User

Jenny H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 pm

by Jenny H » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 pm

My husband and I went there this evening. I had the Flat Iron Steak and hubby had the Scallops and Cheese Grits. They were both very good. They were out of mashed potatoes so instead of having that on my plate there was a risotto with asparagus and butternut squash. Yum! We had the spinach salad as well and it was very good with pears and candied pecans. We used a restaurants.com gift certificate, so that made it all even better. Highly recommended!