Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Organic certification for restaurants: Necessary or useful?

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:01 pm

Have any Louisville restaurants taken the necessary steps to be certified organic? Would doing so win your support? Read the article, and tell us what you think.

http://civileats.com/2016/04/18/why-org ... n-matters/
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Organic certification for restaurants: Necessary or usef

by Richard S. » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:48 pm

Two thoughts: One, I don't people have enough trust in the system for it to make a difference. Maybe that will change. Two, while people often say they'll change their behavior if this or that was available, that rarely translates to action. People always complain about the nutritional content of McDonald's food, but the sale of Big Macs still outweigh the sale of their salads., I'd bet.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:54 pm

The onus of making your restaurant organic is daunting enough, but the regulation and bureaucracy of the certification makes the hurdle that much higher. The paperwork, accountability to overseers, the cost, and extra work of compliance, balanced against actual benefit to this program make this a non starter for most small restaurants that would be interested.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:48 pm

I love the concept of organic, and while I'd love to say certification at a local restaurant would influence me, I'd, in reality, still assume that 75% of it is a scam, even while believing the local restaurant believes their food to be organic.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:20 pm

I'd rather see steps taken to remove the pesticides from all of our good stuffs rather than put the burden on those that can least afford the ordeal. I think it's important we don't allow ourselves to fall into the notion that "it's all a scam anyway so why bother?" Bayer and Monsanto would just LOVE that! Seriously, is it too much to ask to have fruits and vegetables that are free from poisons that cannot be washed away?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson