Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Derby Reservations - Still Open?

by RichardM » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:49 pm

An acquaintance of mine posed the question about should they make reservations for a meal Derby Evening AFTER the race. I responded back she was too late, but, told her that the Porcelain Palace at 7th & Berry had a few seats left.

But, do you restauranteurs have reservations left and what times? It's 21 days, is it too late for her and guests?

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Derby Reservations - Still Open?

by GaryF » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:58 pm

Equus/Jack's Lounge has some reservations left for Saturday.
I will post a menu.
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:48 pm

As a former hostess at a now-defunct Louisville Original, I can tell you that at least 50% of our Derby night reservations cancelled. Also, our parties of 12-16 turned into parties of 6-8. People party way too hard on Derby day and then by dinnertime are either sick or passed out. People who did show up to reservations were drunk and often couldn't sit through a meal. It was nuts. Most people are spent by Derby night and want to go home and get out of their restrictive clothing. Sometimes folks hedge their bets and make reservations and various spots and then decide where to go that night. (This is obnoxious.) This practice leaves a lot of open tables too.

My advice? Call ahead around 6:00 and see if anyone has cancellations. They'll know by then and 6:00 is about an hour from when you'll be getting there anyway. Most restaurants are ready to bring their A-game on Derby night want to turn tables. They'll work with you.

That being said, this is NOT true for Oaks night (Friday). If you don't have a reservation by now, you're likely outta luck. Most people show up for those reservations (and even try to make their parties larger) and EVERYONE wants to go out to eat that night.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:46 am

Alexis Rich wrote:As a former hostess at a now-defunct Louisville Original, I can tell you that at least 50% of our Derby night reservations cancelled. Also, our parties of 12-16 turned into parties of 6-8. People party way too hard on Derby day and then by dinnertime are either sick or passed out. People who did show up to reservations were drunk and often couldn't sit through a meal. It was nuts. Most people are spent by Derby night and want to go home and get out of their restrictive clothing. Sometimes folks hedge their bets and make reservations and various spots and then decide where to go that night. (This is obnoxious.) This practice leaves a lot of open tables too.

My advice? Call ahead around 6:00 and see if anyone has cancellations. They'll know by then and 6:00 is about an hour from when you'll be getting there anyway. Most restaurants are ready to bring their A-game on Derby night want to turn tables. They'll work with you.

That being said, this is NOT true for Oaks night (Friday). If you don't have a reservation by now, you're likely outta luck. Most people show up for those reservations (and even try to make their parties larger) and EVERYONE wants to go out to eat that night.

Agreed.

Thurby is pretty aggressive, as well.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Over the 9 still has openings for both Oaks and Derby. Come see us for Falls City beer, Old 502 wines, and a selection of craft cocktails. We're also offering a special Derby 3 course tasting menu that I will post Friday for anyone interested.
no avatar
User

Chad Coulter

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:43 pm

by Chad Coulter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:17 pm

LouVino has some Oaks reservations available at 9:15 and Derby at 8:30-9ish
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:22 pm

We still have a few spots open at La Chasse, and openings for our Tuesday and Wednesday of Derby Week "Tent Events". (502.822.3963.) Cheers!
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:10 am

I agree with the previous post. Thursday and Friday nights are crazy. Saturday is a whole other ballgame. We don't take reservations on Friday and Saturday nights but you can call and see how the restaurant is doing. We will probably be able to accommodate you on Saturday. I have no idea how Middletown Coals will perform derby weekend but St Matts is steady but not crazy.

Another thing to consider is the special menus that restaurants use to serve so many guests during that busy night. We don't do that..same menu, same price.
User

Michaelle W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:37 am

by Michaelle W » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:09 pm

The North End Cafe, both locations still have some openings available, Thurby, Oaks and Derby Day. Call 502-896-8770 for Frankfort Ave. location and 502-690-4161 for Highlands.
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

by looi » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Asiatique still has some openings for Oaks and Derby evening. We are only offering the four course pre fixe menu at $65.00(excl. beverages, tax and gratuity) and will need a credit card to hold the reservation.
no avatar
User

Isaac F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:10 am

by Isaac F » Wed May 04, 2016 7:28 pm

We are now full for Oaks, but have a few tables left for Thurby ( :) ), and Derby.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 04, 2016 8:41 pm

Isaac F wrote:We are now full for Oaks, but have a few tables left for Thurby ( :) ), and Derby.

La Chasse?
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Fri May 06, 2016 6:44 am

We are doing a killer Derby Breakfast/Brunch from 8:30 till 1pm. Closed Sat. night.