Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Doc's a great addition to River Road Restaurant Row!

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:49 am

A group of us went to Doc's Cantina last night. It was with some trepidation – it's usually a risk when a place has only been open for two days beforehand – but we had a great night!

We did have reservations (the wait without them was 90 minutes!), so I'd definitely recommend that.

Their menu is outstanding. It's not as broad as most Mexican restaurants, but does have every category covered, along with a number of seafood dishes. They also had a small but well chosen list of beers, including several interesting ones on tap (including Negro Modelo) and a range of Margaritas, sangria, and other options.

We had:

Started with chips and salsa on the table . . . two in our party are spice wimps, and couldn't handle the salsa, but the rest of us thought it had a nice level of zing to it . . . there was little liquid; it was a chunky blend of veges and spice, and the chips were unique (resembled a high fiber chip with body and taste, rather than the standard).

Guacamole . . . theirs was smooth, not chunky, but with a good flavor . . . I found it mild, although one of the spice wimps thought it too spicy. . . $7

Doc's Queso . . . queso is queso . . . this didn't appear that different from the norm, but I like the norm! . . . $7

The three women all had the grilled corvina . . . they had three empty plates afterwards, and all would order the flaky, meaty, perfectly cooked fish again . . . it was moist, and perfectly cooked and seasoned . . . most places in Louisville typically overcook fish, but maybe their Basa training took over as the fish was cooked to the exact right degree. . . $16

Two ordered the Burrito . . . there was a large portion of food, and neither could finish it, but both liked the meal . . . as these were two who worried about spice levels, I'd guess they were mild dishes, but didn't try it myself. . . $16

I had the Chicken mole . . . a half chicken, covered with what was more a mole paste than a true "sauce", served with fried plantains and Blue Cornbread . . . the chicken – on its own – was well seasoned and full of flavor, but with the mole took on a whole other level of flavor; similarly, the cornbread at first appeared to have a different profile than I am used to (more fiber, chewier, stronger grain flavor, likely from using blue cornmeal) but when eaten with the leftover mole proved an inspired combination . . . the plaintains were the perfect foil for the spice level of the dish (not hot-spicy, but spicy with a broad range of flavors hitting different parts of the tongue). . . I was the fourth member of the "clean plate" club . . . $16

The downstairs level of the restaurant is relatively plain, bare wood, loud, lively, fun, and with a great view of the river and the large bar . . . upstairs is quieter, dimmer lighting, and appeared more relaxing if that's what you want . . . upstairs also had a great river view.

Parking can be tough. They are restricted to the city lots adjacent (which are relatively small) and River Road (always available, but a walk).

Between this, River House, the redecorated Kingfish, and Captain's Quarters, the River is becoming a true focal point for the city's food – maybe a new restaurant row if you go up to Cunningham's and Cast Iron?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Doc's a great addition to River Road Restaurant Row!

by SilvioM » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Great review, sounds very appealing. The prices aren't as bad as I thought they might be given the location and (surely high) renovation costs. Glad they opened with a bang.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 am

I know YELP reviews are unreliable but there sure are a bunch of very bad ones along with some unappetizing photos. I think I'll give them another week before I venture out.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:26 am

Carla G wrote:I know YELP reviews are unreliable but there sure are a bunch of very bad ones along with some unappetizing photos. I think I'll give them another week before I venture out.

The service was pretty appalling when we went, though I don't entirely blame our server for that. I'd definitely give it a while to get that under control. Food was OK to good, depending on the item -- I don't think anything will knock your socks off, but nothing was bad. I don't ever use Yelp, but I'd say the reviews from people I know personally have been about 60/40 bad to good. I do think, though, some of it is just not being ready yet.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:14 am

I can definitely see such a huge restaurant, with so many diners at once, having more than the normal amount of service and process-related issues to get worked out.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I can definitely see such a huge restaurant, with so many diners at once, having more than the normal amount of service and process-related issues to get worked out.

It'll get worked out!

As I mentioned, we were concerned going so early, but decided to "go with the flow" and just enjoy ourselves, not worrying about service glitches. We enjoyed the food, had another sip of an adult beverage, and talked to our friends and had a great time with good food.

Note that according to Insider, they use many recipes from the chef's mother-in-law, who owns a cantina in Mexico; as such, I'd guess the tacos and burritos might be different flavors than many are used to (which explains several Yelp comments), but we liked them!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Perhaps they just opened prematurely give that the Derby dollars are only weeks away? I'll wait a month or so to check it out.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:27 am

I was going to try this place Sunday but the Yelp reviews were brutal.

I take that with a grain of salt, but where there's smoke there's probably fire. Probably a bit unfair to be so harsh being opening week, but some of them seemed pretty inexcusable like servers standing around everywhere while the table sat with no drinks for 20 minutes, cold/bland food etc.

I'll give them a little more time to hit their stride and then give it a try.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:19 am

We tried to stop in Sat. at 3:00 for a drink and snack at the bar and the place looked packed. The waiting area was overflowing, not a seat available at the bar, but about 40% of the tables were empty. None of the plates I saw looked any different than standard "chain" type Mexican food.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:48 am

Jason G wrote:I was going to try this place Sunday but the Yelp reviews were brutal.

I take that with a grain of salt, but where there's smoke there's probably fire. Probably a bit unfair to be so harsh being opening week, but some of them seemed pretty inexcusable like servers standing around everywhere while the table sat with no drinks for 20 minutes, cold/bland food etc.

I'll give them a little more time to hit their stride and then give it a try.

I agree vis opening week. We went for soft opening. I almost never put up anything on a soft opening unless it's fabulous, but one or two things did happen that just aren't excuseable (a quick perusal of the Yelp reviews showed they had the same experience), even for a soft opening. That said, I really do think they'll get it figured out. I totally did _not_ get the servers didn't care vibe, just more of a "everything is currently on fire and we're doing our best to make it appear normal." Their POS system appears not to be very flexible or accurate, or maybe the server just didn't understand how to use it, which I think was a big part of it.

I'd be super happy if they get it worked out. The location itself is beautiful.