Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

What is the most important aspect of a restaurant?

by Adam C » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:13 pm

I had this conversation with my sister the other night.. for her the biggest importance was the food (duh) but I stumped her and said the food is almost secondary to me. How I FEEL in the place is more important. Do feel comfortable and welcomed? Does the room have character and feels inviting? Yes the food is important. But some of my favorite places, Check's Cafe for example, is not great food. It's ok but it's not great. But I love going in there. Cunningham's too. I could eat lunch every day at Cunningham's Creekside but the food is meh.. the camaraderie and ambiance is more important.

I go into Cunningham's, sit at the bar with my dad, and commence to "breaking balls" with everyone around me. It's like being at a football game or something. We order wings which are straight from Sysco's freezer, eat semi decent cheeseburgers and have a blast. Kern's Korner too. Their chili dogs are a mess but something about going in there and having a subpar chili dog in THAT environment is more appealing to me than a stuffy, expensive place with amazing food yet this cold, sterilized, overly proper feel. Of course in a perfect world you would have both (The Admiral in Asheville, NC comes to mind, dive bar atmosphere with 5 star food) but I don't need the food to be spectacular for me to have a great time out. It's kind of second place. Is that weird? Any thoughts?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: What is the most important aspect of a restaurant?

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:25 am

I agree.

I think there is a "threshold" level for food, but as long as the restaurant is over that level everything else becomes equal to more important.

One of our favorite things to do in summer is to go to Captain's Quarters, eat outdoors, have a drink or two, and relax looking at the river. The food is OK - nothing to write home about, and definitely not worth a trip just for an entree - but the overall experience is wonderful.

Similarly, we really liked River House. Great location, wonderful service, stunning decor, and (barely) adequate food (an oyster poor boy with 4 oysters? fried seafood with 90% fried dough and 10% seafood?). We'll be back, tho, due to the intangibles and will order very differently (maybe just appetizers, or a drink before or after dinner elsewhere).

Mike Linnig's also comes to mind, as people go possibly for the size of the portions, but few go for the five-star food!

Yes, we do make special trips to certain restaurants where the food justifies a special trip, but we also go out for other reasons.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:37 am

I didn't respond right away because I'm still wrestling with this. I get the point that Adam is making, and to some extent I agree with it. But I'm reluctant to step away from the argument that great food has to be the No. 1 goal.

I agree completely that good atmosphere and service will make up for a lot, and I don't expect four-star cuisine out of every neighborhood tavern, either.

I do expect the food to be good, though. Maybe it's like this: If I love a place for all those other reasons, I'll go. I'll hang out with my friends. But I might order a beer or a glass of iced tea, and at most some innocuous sandwich.

Maybe it's as simple as this: When I rate a restaurant, I take all those elements into consideration. To earn my top rating, it has to score on food, mood, service, and all the other intangibles. But if it doesn't have great food, it loses points, and even the greatest atmosphere won't fully make up for that.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:44 am

Food, atmosphere, price.

I love the food and atmosphere at Ruby's and Seviche, but my wallet couldn't take eating there every night.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:52 am

I like Andrew's take on it. I agree there is a "threshold" level for the food. It might vary according to the circumstances and price point. Are we looking for a sports bar, a romantic dinner, or a celebratory gathering. Quick bite or just hanging out?

The food's gotta be good, but what constitutes that is not an absolute.

Now, having written that, the food remains the first hurdle at any restaurant. It just doesn't have to be the most creative, picturesque or authentic cuisine in the world for it to part of a good restaurant.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:51 am

Kind of like asking "what's your favorite movie?"
I think a great many people look for the total experience. Others simply need 'good enough' .
Personally, even the best, most remarkable food experience can be ruined with poor service.
Other times I feel unsatisfied if I have a dish I can prepare better.
Maybe be bottom line is we all only have so many hours, how do we want to fill them?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:37 pm

I certainly have mixed feelings about my response to this thread. I guess it probably depends on why you're going out at any particular time. Obviously the food has to be good but as others have mentioned above a certain threshold other things come into play. If you are going out with friends who aren't really foodies than the atmosphere comes more into play as long as you're over that threshold. If you're going out with friends who are foodies or just yourselves then the the quality of food may become the overriding factor. I really don't think there's any stock answer for this question, it just depends on the circumstances.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam C » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:03 pm

I agree that no matter if the food is great and atmosphere is meh or vice versa bad service will ruin the experience almost every time.

I kind of like Hammerheads for this reason. I like the atmosphere (kinda loud and grungy) and the food is top shelf (my opinion). The Admiral in Asheville again comes to mind.. it looks like the old Dedden's Highland Fling (now La Chasse) on the inside but the food was amazing. Fresh, well seasoned, local.. everything. Maybe I want a dive bar with over the top amazing food.. does that exist here?
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Adam C wrote: Maybe I want a dive bar with over the top amazing food.. does that exist here?

Hilltop Tavern is the closest I've found
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam C » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:04 am

I like Hilltop too but I am talking sit down, high end stuff inside a bar also serving 16 oz Pabst cans. Maybe I am dreaming haha.. the old Red Lounge was pretty close.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:13 am

Adam C wrote:I like Hilltop too but I am talking sit down, high end stuff inside a bar also serving 16 oz Pabst cans. Maybe I am dreaming haha.. the old Red Lounge was pretty close.

Garage Bar too hip and upscale, I assume? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:22 am

One could claim that Rudy's fits the bill, especially if one restricts onesself to the category of "wings."
Andrew Mellman
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:01 pm

I think the most important aspect of a Restaurant is the people.

Be it dive bar or takeout, delivery or fine dining, the great company or the atmosphere. You have a reason for going there- and it's the people.

So, in my World, low turnover is the brass-ring. The staff and guests care enough about the place and its people to invest themselves in it.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:30 pm

Maybe I'm alone in this opinion, but I think Louisville has no shortage of places of places with good food/beer and good atmosphere. So I vote both... of course, I'm probably a bit more lenient on grading atmosphere and food than most.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:07 am

Stephen D wrote:I think the most important aspect of a Restaurant is the people.

Be it dive bar or takeout, delivery or fine dining, the great company or the atmosphere. You have a reason for going there- and it's the people.

So, in my World, low turnover is the brass-ring. The staff and guests care enough about the place and its people to invest themselves in it.

I agree with you Stephen. There are plenty of places that I have avoided through the years because I don't like the clientele, the employees or the vibe. Cahoots for example. Before it was a heroin den it was a yuppie bar and then a hipster bar. I don't do heroin, khakis or patchouli.

On the flip side, I want nothing to do with Norton Commons. Cant deal with the pretention or entitlement.

I'll find contentment in a simple neighborhood bar or a mom and pop restaurant. It really is about where you feel comfortable and everyone knows your name.
Next