Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ trashes DiFabio's, knocks off 1/2 star ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:11 pm

The CJ trashes DiFabio's in a review that reads more like 1 star than the 2 1/2 assigned. Perhaps they should have gone on Secrets of Louisville Chefs? ;)

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /82178610/
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

Re: CJ trashes DiFabio's, knocks off 1/2 star ...

by John NA » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:51 pm

I've been there. I've been to better places but I've also been to far worse places. Her experience did not match my experience at all. Our food was good and we had great service. I plan to go back.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:56 pm

John NA wrote:I've been there. I've been to better places but I've also been to far worse places. Her experience did not match my experience at all. Our food was good and we had great service. I plan to go back.

That's pretty much my take on it, John. It's not the best family Italian ever, but it's generally decent. And as she did notice, to her credit, the service is generally exceptional, not fawning Vincenzo's style but warm and welcoming family style.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm so sorry to say, the one time we went there it smelled awful in the dining room, so awful that we only ordered drinks from the cook who came from the back of the house to be our server. We went across the street for pizza at Clifton's. I really wanted to like it, too.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:13 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I'm so sorry to say, the one time we went there it smelled awful in the dining room, so awful that we only ordered drinks from the cook who came from the back of the house to be our server. We went across the street for pizza at Clifton's. I really wanted to like it, too.

I wonder what was up with that? We eat there fairly often - well, maybe a half-dozen times since it opened - and I never had that issue. Could you identify the genre of the smell, Marsha? Sewage? Spoiled food? Green-can Par-mee-jun cheez? :P
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 pm

I hate to say it, but it was a sewage smell. Maybe it was a one time thing, but I looked at my companions and said "I can't eat here." I've only done that a couple of times in my life. And the cook, in his less-than-spotless t-shirt, taking our order. Truly, it was very early in dinner shift, maybe 4:30, so I guess they weren't ready yet. And he was charming, and friendly, but I just couldn't bear it.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Marsha - I'm not doubting your personal experience, but we have never had an issue with smells or unkempt server. We are frequent patrons and we're just there Saturday night. Devin was a new, but earnest and attentive server. Some things on the menu we love, and some dishes we won't get again, but we love the neighborhood feel and they do have excellent escargot.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:51 pm

I don't get the one-star comment. She had several positive things to say (pesto, meat sauce, escargot, A+ service) and things that she didn't like. Mixed, hence the 2.5. I've only been once, was fine but not memorable, so I can't comment about the place much myself, but I don't think the review was, based on one experience, off by that much.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:47 am

SilvioM wrote:I don't get the one-star comment. She had several positive things to say (pesto, meat sauce, escargot, A+ service) and things that she didn't like. Mixed, hence the 2.5. I've only been once, was fine but not memorable, so I can't comment about the place much myself, but I don't think the review was, based on one experience, off by that much.

Silvio, I've tried to express this before, in critiquing the CJ's reviewer: There's the issue of her accuracy, and there is the issue of her tone and style. I agree that she said some kind things, and I agree that some of her criticism may be justified. But throughout her tenure, I've found something troubling about the personality that she projects, and - when she goes negative - the way she does it. I think a Facebook commenter hit the nail on the head about this review: " The writer was unnecessarily rude ... and over the top in her cruel attacks that seemed personal."

I'll leave separate the issue of whether she avoids snark on chefs with whom she's worked in PR or Secrets of Louisville Chefs, although I do intuit a troubling pattern there. But primarily, the big issue I take with her is that her approach to negative criticism quickly turns to the nasty and mean, and I just don't see that as a necessary element in fair reviewing.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:41 am

Robin Garr wrote:There's the issue of her accuracy, and there is the issue of her tone and style. I agree that she said some kind things, and I agree that some of her criticism may be justified.

I don't care for her style either. That's been present in all of her reviews, but by criticizing it each week, one runs the risk of being overly redundant. I try to look past it, along with her weekly odd comments (stacks of olive oil cans, how the place isn't "fancy" or whatever) to see what is written about the food and the service, my main concerns. One those fronts, it was not a one star review. A one star piece of writing? Maybe.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I'm so sorry to say, the one time we went there it smelled awful in the dining room, so awful that we only ordered drinks from the cook who came from the back of the house to be our server. We went across the street for pizza at Clifton's. I really wanted to like it, too.
Marsha....if you were "across the street" from Clifton's, no WONDER "it smelled awful".....you were dining at River City Tire Co.! :wink:
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:04 pm

My wife and I love DiFabio's. We have been with big groups and just us two always great service and consistent food. We love it. It's mellow and I feel good in there. The escargot, the pastas.. I like the mom and pop feel. I enjoy the ambiance and food at DiFabio's over Volare.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:31 am

Sewage comments. Not about this restaurant but a year or two ago, we couldn't eat at Troll Pub (before games) because of the smell. Seemed to move to O'Sheas. Cleared up this past year.
I worked at Chi Chi's (Shelbyville Road) decades ago. Always had sewage problems. Went in a restaurant, same spot, (Roosters, maybe?), same problem, 30 years later.
BBC St. Matthews had that problem.
I don't know what the restaurants can do about it but we don't stay or return - for a long time, if ever.

Ellen
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

by Christina Firriolo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:55 pm

I had a smell issue at Silvio's the one night we ate there. They had cleaned so well, I just kept smelling bleach all night. (I'd rather that than sewage smell but really, I just prefer to smell garlic and meatballs when going out to an Italian restaurant.) I don't remember any offending odors when we went to Difabios, however.
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei