Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Carp

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Carp

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Not always first on anyone's list of best tasting fish, but hat's off to Nick Sullivan for putting it on the menu at the Oakroom.

Not sure how it gets the $43 price tag, but I'll keep an open mind . . .

Maybe carp just needs a PR makeover like the Patagonian Toothfish received when it became Chilean Sea Bass.

Suggestions?
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Carp

by Joel F » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:15 pm

if someone comes up with a tasty way to eat the invasive asian jumping carp it'll be a win-win

this is not a joke: http://www.asiancarp.us/
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:44 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/1 ... _n_6324896

Supposed to be good eating. Kentucky Afields' Tim Farmer had a segment on it including cooking it and said it was a good eating fish.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:55 am

I've caught a bunch of them (by accident), and have heard of eating them, but have never tried a carp. Somebody report back on how you avoid the bones.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:32 am

Tim Farmer knows his fish, so I am willing to give it a try.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:52 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Tim Farmer knows his fish, so I am willing to give it a try.

I actually enjoy his cooking show. It doesn't get more basic than what he does.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:14 pm

That story reminded me of similar attempts in New Orleans to put nutria on the menu as a way to fight coastal erosion. If you're not familiar with a nutria, it's pretty much a possum that swims. I went back and looked for the story and they mention carp as well.

http://www.newsweek.com/invasive-menu-e ... ans-269425

Nutria hasn't quite taken off as an entree, but you can shoot one and take the tail to the sheriff's office in Jefferson Parish. They'll pay you $5 for each tail.

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.s ... nt_in.html
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Richard S. wrote: it's pretty much a possum that swims.

That's hilarious.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:25 pm

TP Lowe wrote:I've caught a bunch of them (by accident), and have heard of eating them, but have never tried a carp. Somebody report back on how you avoid the bones.

As I remember it, the Asian carp, unlike native carp, has little or no bones except the spine when filleted. This would be according to Tim Farmer. Unfortunately Tim as retired as of a week or so ago. New fellow now has the show.

Please understand, I eat fish, I do not fish and when I do I catch old plastic and other such things.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:55 pm

Richard S. wrote:Nutria hasn't quite taken off as an entree, but you can shoot one and take the tail to the sheriff's office in Jefferson Parish. They'll pay you $5 for each tail.

It's a double payout! Take the tail and get $5 from the state, and at the same time a wholesale furrier will pay $12-25 for the pelt.. The NYTimes has called Nutria the non-guilty fur.

They are also edible; here's a link for Andrew Zimmern's recipe for nutria, andouille, and oyster gumbo:
http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/biza ... ster-gumbo
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:02 pm

Eating them would make it a triple payout.
no avatar
User

Nick Sullivan

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Louisville

by Nick Sullivan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks for the recognition for using this fish. I'm serving it because I believe in the story and the good that it is doing for our Kentucky waterways. I wanted to touch base and give everyone a lot of knowledge about this fish because I needed it as well. First off, The Silver Carp is an envasive top eating fish that are eating 40% of their weight in food a day. They are going through the KY waters and pushing all the other fish, that are indigenous to our water, out. In 6 months they can grow to be 8 pounds and typically the ones we are getting are an average 30-50 pounds. Dr. Lula and Dr. Crilly are the minds behind FIN Gourmet, the company we are buying the meat from. In a 3.5 oz portion of meat, it contains 17-22 grams of Protein and it has Omega-3's that are comparable to that of Wild Salmon. That's impressive to me. Also, the skin is 6x more durable than cow hide so they have been working with a company that is making shoes for the less fortunate across the globe. After hearing all of this, I decided to give it a shot. I ate it raw as sashimi with a little lemon, Olive oil, and Salt. It was impressively clean tasting and had a bright finish. I was sold. It also cooks very easily and it's hard to mess up. Captain Ronny and his team of fisherman can catch 4,000 # of fish on a bad day and 15,000 # on a good day. Ronny is a very awesome man, a very seasoned veteran who lives off the land and is humble to boot. Smart is also an understatement, He even says, "I may not be able to read or write but I can do anything else that any other man can do." (As he is tearing down engines and putting them back together) Anyways, these are very boney fish and Dr. Lula and Crilly have designed and patented a special piece of equipment that helps with the de-boning process so we get clean fillets that are fresh and never frozen. The price tag that the dish has most definitely has to do with the fish but the other many components in the dish as we are sourcing specialty ingredients for it as well. Please help us spread the word about this destructive yet flavorful fish. Cheers, Louisville Community. You all rock!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:57 pm

Nick Sullivan wrote:Thanks for the recognition for using this fish

Thanks to you for dropping in to give us the rest of the story, Nick. Don't be a stranger ... you're welcome here any time.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:21 am

Super explanation. Thanks much - and I'd love to see the machine that cleans a 50 pound carp full of bones!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:57 am

Is there contact info available if another restaurant would like to add it to their Menu?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next