Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tazakis sucks

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Tazakis sucks

by Linda C » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:32 pm

Just popped in, didn't realize it was a chain. I had the beef tenderloin and my husband had the lamb entree and I think we were served the left andright soles of the shoes.
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Tazakis sucks

by Joel F » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:38 pm

I assume you mean taziki's

http://tazikiscafe.com/
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:38 pm

I went once. It's all very mall food courtish.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:20 pm

Isn't that the company that's supposedly moving into the long-vacant Lynn's? I'm trying to decide whether it will be much of an improvement over a decaying empty building. :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Isn't that the company that's supposedly moving into the long-vacant Lynn's? I'm trying to decide whether it will be much of an improvement over a decaying empty building. :mrgreen:

That's certainly one of the rumors along with the rumor that is going to be a barbecue place. If it is Tazikis I certainly don't see it being a good fit. It's way too large for their typical place and the type of food they have is not something makes it a destination for people to go to. It's more like a place that you stop into if you're in the area because you're hungry.

For Greek food we certainly prefer "Little Greek" which is in the Shelbyville Road Plaza. Much more authentic food and the prices are a little better. Still a chain but run much more like a local business.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Isn't that the company that's supposedly moving into the long-vacant Lynn's? I'm trying to decide whether it will be much of an improvement over a decaying empty building. :mrgreen:

That's certainly one of the rumors along with the rumor that is going to be a barbecue place. If it is Tazikis I certainly don't see it being a good fit. It's way too large for their typical place and the type of food they have is not something makes it a destination for people to go to. It's more like a place that you stop into if you're in the area because you're hungry.

For Greek food we certainly prefer "Little Greek" which is in the Shelbyville Road Plaza. Much more authentic food and the prices are a little better. Still a chain but run much more like a local business.

Whoops! It was Little Greek I was thinking of when I said very mall food courtish. I went about a month ago. It wasn't bad by any means but nothing that warranted a return trip.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:17 am

Went to Taziki's once - wasn't impressed. On the other hand we happened to end up at Little Greek yesterday after a failed attempt at eating at Jason's Deli next door and we both really liked it a lot! So there you go....different strokes and all that I guess!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:21 am

I too like Little Greek and think they have some of the tastiest falafel around. Tazikis did suck.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:00 pm

I stopped by Little Greek this afternoon. My feeling afterwards was much like eating at a place like Subway, Fazoli, Qdoba, etc.---I met my needs without any fanfare. In other words, mainly pre-made stuff with mediocre flavor and texture.

My take? Way too many eating establishments in this city to settle for such corporate-produced mediocraty. I'll add that I had a lengthy discussion with two guys from Lexington while in West Virginia earlier this week. They lamented, what was in their view, Lexington's inclination towards chain eating establishments. They really admired our food scene.

Folks, let's don't take it for granted. We don't need to settle for these Tzaziki/Little Greek and other types of mediocre franchises, at least not on a regular basis.
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:07 pm

James Natsis wrote:Folks, let's don't take it for granted. We don't need to settle for these Tzaziki/Little Greek and other types of mediocre franchises, at least not on a regular basis.

Unfortunately when you have a desire to have some Greek food the options are quite limited. Little Greek is certainly the better of the 2 in that case. For other food types you are certainly right it's basically silly to go to a chain restaurant of any type.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Mark R. wrote:
James Natsis wrote:Folks, let's don't take it for granted. We don't need to settle for these Tzaziki/Little Greek and other types of mediocre franchises, at least not on a regular basis.

Unfortunately when you have a desire to have some Greek food the options are quite limited. Little Greek is certainly the better of the 2 in that case. For other food types you are certainly right it's basically silly to go to a chain restaurant of any type.

We're sharing the same pain!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:19 pm

Falafel House for the win. Excellent service with free lentil soup and hot tea with you meal. The prices are absurdly cheap.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:12 am

Mark R. wrote: For other food types you are certainly right it's basically silly to go to a chain restaurant of any type.

White Castle should not be included in the above. Nothing like slyders and beer.

Otherwise .. I aagree
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

by Jason H » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:47 pm

Actually, there is a rumor that the old Lynn's could be a future Trader Joe's. The developer is known to work with Trader Joes and the area is in need of a specialty market, but I could be mishearing things.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Jason H wrote:Actually, there is a rumor that the old Lynn's could be a future Trader Joe's. The developer is known to work with Trader Joes and the area is in need of a specialty market, but I could be mishearing things.

Hmm ... that would be consistent with TJ's practice of re-using interesting buildings in urban neighborhoods. Really, the one in St. Matthews is less typical, a boring storefront in a suburban shopping center.
Next