Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

America. The Diner closing tonight

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Sad news: America. The Diner is closing. From owner Dustin Staggers: "Much to my disappointment, we will be closing the doors to America. The Diner after our service on Sunday, March 27th.

"I’ve mentioned many times over the years that restaurants are still businesses, and when one fails to meet the bottom line on a consistent basis; at some point you have to make the call to close the doors.

"We will be focusing our efforts at Roux, which is doing very well and we look forward to providing our guests with the same amazing atmosphere and food that they’ve grown accustomed to. As we move into the beautiful Louisville summer months, look forward to more events such as Oysterfest and our Crawfish Boils, and don’t be surprised if you see some remodeling to Roux’s patio area soon!"
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: America. The Diner closing tonight

by Mark R. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Sorry to hear that they are closing. We've been there several times and have enjoyed each visit because of the food and the atmosphere. Not convenient to home, but certainly we went to when we were in that part of town.

I really wonder if parking wasn't part of the problem.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:32 pm

I'm curious as to why it was unprofitable. Does anyone have a theory? Was it busy enough? priced fairly?
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:53 pm

James Natsis wrote:I'm curious as to why it was unprofitable. Does anyone have a theory? Was it busy enough? priced fairly?

I've heard from several former employees of this restaurant group, who have worked in each of their concepts, that they're all terribly mismanaged, the food quality is inconsistent, and that the higher ups in the company treat the restaurants like their personal social clubs. I don't know how much truth there is to any of it, especially coming from FORMER employees, but when you hear the same things from different people about the overall culture of the company, it's hard to dismiss such things. I've never eaten at any of these concepts because I tend to avoid restaurants that hop on trends, but they were obviously doing something right in the beginning to have opened four different concepts in such a short time.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:57 pm

James Natsis wrote:I'm curious as to why it was unprofitable. Does anyone have a theory? Was it busy enough? priced fairly?

Dustin has been known to pass through here, and I'd love it if he's willing to share a few thoughts. My opinion, based on observation at Rumplings in particular, is that they tend to start with great spirit and a lot of passion but are also realistic and willing to do a reboot if it's clear that the concept was fun and looked good but can't hit the numbers ho need to keep a business going. Purely my opinion/intuition, not based on any inside knowledge at all.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:21 pm

I posted awhile back -- so-so food, but lousy service that never did anything about it, nor did we get a table visit between entrees and the check despite it not being at all busy. And I know I'm not the only one. I went once, did not return even though it was the type of place that I would like.

I don't wish to see anyone out of work. OTOH, I'm glad that places with poor service get bitten by it. Hopefully the staff at his next venture will treat their customers better, as they did at the ramen place.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:30 am

The nail(s) have pretty much been hit dead on in the thread! Service was spotty at best, food didn't meet expectations, management wasn't there. I went maybe 3 times, and vowed not to return because of these very issues.

How can you run a place when you're constantly in traveling without adequate backup in the house?
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:34 am

I'm no restaurant expert, but opening a restaurant seems too expensive a proposition for a throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach to building one's business. None of these concepts seemed like obvious flops to me; I can't help thinking that with a slower, iterative approach and a little more attention to details like location, training, staffing, etc., most of them could have been successes.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:02 am

I just find it remarkable that the last time I visited this page, the partners were lecturing me on what concepts would and wouldnt work in Louisville.
Seems they definitely have nailed down what doesnt work.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:46 pm

I got a coupon in the mail today for El Nopal that says they're opening a restaurant at 962 Baxter Ave., which is the old America the Diner location. I'm surprised a chain like that would open in that area.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:53 pm

Someday, in the not too distant future, we will be left with Corbett's, Seviche, 400 pizza joints, and an El Nopal and El Tarasco diagonally across from one another on every available corner.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:41 pm

Rich S wrote:I got a coupon in the mail today for El Nopal that says they're opening a restaurant at 962 Baxter Ave., which is the old America the Diner location. I'm surprised a chain like that would open in that area.

It's a chain, but it's at least locally owned by a Mexican-American family, not a mega-corporate complex without a Spanish-speaking frijole-counter in sight.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:31 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Rich S wrote:I got a coupon in the mail today for El Nopal that says they're opening a restaurant at 962 Baxter Ave., which is the old America the Diner location. I'm surprised a chain like that would open in that area.

It's a chain, but it's at least locally owned by a Mexican-American family, not a mega-corporate complex without a Spanish-speaking frijole-counter in sight.

This is true and the way he opens/operates his new restaurants gives talented managers a chance to own a pie of the pie instead of just working 90 hours a week for 50 hour a week salery.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:47 pm

I will fully admit that I enjoy going to El Nopal and I'm excited they will be occupying that space. Is the food memorable? No. But I've ALWAYS had a positive experience there. Service is friendly and prompt and their jumbo margs are potent.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:12 pm

neal.johnson wrote:I will fully admit that I enjoy going to El Nopal and I'm excited they will be occupying that space. Is the food memorable? No. But I've ALWAYS had a positive experience there. Service is friendly and prompt and their jumbo margs are potent.

I think you've just explained why they thrive. :)