Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Extreme beers

no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Extreme beers

by Will Crawford » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:49 am

Will Crawford
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:41 am

Great article.
Beer heads check it out.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:47 pm

thanks

i just had the Dogfish Head Fort for the first time - wow

shawn
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:04 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:thanks

i just had the Dogfish Head Fort for the first time - wow

shawn
I had the Dogfish 90 on tap at my old place but (though mighty potent) I was still partial to Roger's Croupier......only good for two, after that, I was relegated to sleeping at work...
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:22 pm

hye clancy, what are you up to??
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Matt B » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:43 pm

Nice article. I just started drinking hoppier beers (couldn't get away from the Belgians) and really like the 90Min IPA from Dogfish.

It seems more balanced than most hoppy beers. Don't get me wrong, it has the bitterness that hopheads are looking for but...there is a sweetness to it too.
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:08 pm

by Caleb Weber » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:02 pm

the 90 minute ipa is pretty good, but i definitely prefer stone's ruination over it.

i'd rather drink stouts or porters, however.

young's double chocolate stout, bell's kalamazoo, rogue's shakespeare stout, and three floyds alpha klaus right now.
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Caleb Weber wrote:i'd rather drink stouts or porters, however.

Me too. I just had a Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout with dinner. Delish. I've yet to meet an IPA that I like.
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

by Scott_Shreffler » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:29 pm

I am a devoted hop-head and the 90 Minute has been my favorite for quite some time. Rarely do you find a beer as highly hopped as that one that still maintains such a great balance between the hops and the malt. L&N has the 90 Minute in the bottle. If you go there, order one, and they serve it to you in a Pinot Noir glass. Just as the right glass can positively influence wine, the same holds true with beer. In that glass the beer takes on a elegance I didn't know that it had.
Caleb, all of those stouts you mentioned are great ones. I love Stone's Russian Imperial Stout.
Also, Hoppin Frog's B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher is amazing. I definitely recommend finding a few people to share a bottle with however, as it is pretty stout stuff, pardon the pun.
My wife's favorite beer in the world is DFH's World Wide Stout. It's usually around $10 a bottle, but at 18-20% ABV, you only really need one.
Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the imperial stout that we (Schlafly) make. 10.5% ABV Imperial stout, aged for two months in Jim Beam bourbon barrels. Full bodied with lots of great vanilla and caramel bourbon characters. It's great right now, but here in a few months it will absolutely amaze. I had an '06 a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.

Scott Shreffler
Schlafly Beer
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Caleb Weber » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:21 am

Erin Riedel wrote:
Caleb Weber wrote:i'd rather drink stouts or porters, however.

Me too. I just had a Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout with dinner. Delish. I've yet to meet an IPA that I like.

its so damn good, but i prefer the oatmeal slightly to the imperial
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Caleb Weber » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:25 am

Scott_Shreffler wrote:I am a devoted hop-head and the 90 Minute has been my favorite for quite some time. Rarely do you find a beer as highly hopped as that one that still maintains such a great balance between the hops and the malt. L&N has the 90 Minute in the bottle. If you go there, order one, and they serve it to you in a Pinot Noir glass. Just as the right glass can positively influence wine, the same holds true with beer. In that glass the beer takes on a elegance I didn't know that it had.
Caleb, all of those stouts you mentioned are great ones. I love Stone's Russian Imperial Stout.
Also, Hoppin Frog's B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher is amazing. I definitely recommend finding a few people to share a bottle with however, as it is pretty stout stuff, pardon the pun.
My wife's favorite beer in the world is DFH's World Wide Stout. It's usually around $10 a bottle, but at 18-20% ABV, you only really need one.
Finally, I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention the imperial stout that we (Schlafly) make. 10.5% ABV Imperial stout, aged for two months in Jim Beam bourbon barrels. Full bodied with lots of great vanilla and caramel bourbon characters. It's great right now, but here in a few months it will absolutely amaze. I had an '06 a few weeks ago and it was fantastic.

Scott Shreffler
Schlafly Beer

i like stone's RIS a whole lot but i've found it difficult to come by. BORIS is awesome and i had one of those less than a week ago with some friends. i tried your imperial stout at the keg liquors tasting in december and thought it was really good, but for the most part i tend to stick with lower alcohol content beers for when i'm drinking in quantity.

i'd rather drink 1/2 or a 1/3 of a bomber than drink the full thing at one time. it just seems a bit excessive.
no avatar
User

Caleb Weber

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Caleb Weber » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:27 am

also, i'm pretty stoked on bell's expedition right now, as far as high alcohol beers go. i picked up a few from keg liquors a few weeks back and i had more than i should have at uncle pleasant's on new year's eve.

i had no idea that uncle pleasant's had such a sweet bar.

bell's java stout rules as well.

beeeeeeeeeeer
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Stone's RIS

by Scott_Shreffler » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:54 am

Stone's RIS comes out, I believe, in the spring and quantities go very, very fast. Last year, the distributor ran through their supply in less than two weeks.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:51 am

Caleb Weber wrote:the 90 minute ipa is pretty good, but i definitely prefer stone's ruination over it.

I concur. I find the DFH minute series IPA's far to sweet. The 60 min. has a touch of balance IMHO. The Stone beers are more to my taste and given the choice I go for the Stone.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Shawn Vest » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:03 pm

great comments

for me, not a hop fan, by the way

The Dogfish and Stone both make great IPAs, but i prefer the Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA, great balance and hop flavor, but probably not bitter enough for most of you HOPheads

my favorite BIG stout though, has to be THUNDERFOOT from the NABC, great balance, the high alcohol is very sneaky and you don't notice until it is far too late
rich, creamy, notes of cherry and vanilla, yummy

the old Bourbon Daddy from NABC was pretty darn tasty as well, something with those Woodford Reserve barrels i bet

shawn
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
Next