Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

NCAA Visitors / Downtown Restaurants

no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

NCAA Visitors / Downtown Restaurants

by Jay M. » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm

Velocity's "5 must-dine downtown spots for NCAA fans" are listed today as:

1) Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse
2) Bristol Bar & Grille Downtown
3) The Brown Hotel
4) Sidebar
5) Bistro 301

One of the criteria was that they "...also serve up Bud Light, Budweiser, and Corona."

Would you offer different recommendations to visitors??
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: NCAA Visitors / Downtown Restaurants

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:47 pm

Jay M. wrote:Velocity's "5 must-dine downtown spots for NCAA fans" are listed today as:

3) The Brown Hotel
4) Sidebar
5) Bistro 301

One of the criteria was that they "...also serve up Bud Light, Budweiser, and Corona."

You could definitely take the 1st 2 off the list. The 3rd depends on the group of people who were visiting, some people might really appreciate it while others wouldn't. Just go there for lunch and have a Hot Brown in J. Graham’s Café, save yourself some money and you can still see the grand old hotel. Sidebar is definitely a good choice and very convenient and I really don't know a lot about Bistro 301 although their menu doesn't really look that interesting.

There are so many excellent dining choices downtown and throughout the Louisville area it's hard to recommend anyone place without knowing what the visitors are looking for. Of course another defining factor would be what type of transportation they have available, if they have a car it's one thing but if they are dependent on taxis or whatever to get there some of the better place are going to be harder to access.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:00 pm

Jay M. wrote:Velocity's "5 must-dine downtown spots for NCAA fans" are listed today as:

3) The Brown Hotel
4) Sidebar
5) Bistro 301

Sounds like a Gannett report, all right! :twisted:

Bistro 301 has not been memorable in my experience, and I've felt for years that the corporate hand lies heavy on the Brown. Bristol, serviceable but meh, but Scott Harper's wine program kicks it up a notch. Ruby is fine if you like high-end steakhouses.

Marketplace certainly belongs on this list. Also Milkwood, for sure. I'd argue the Oakroom over the Brown personally, although it, too, rides a bit on past laurels. Proof on Main probably ought to be on the list, too. Frankly, I think I'd incorporate NuLu into downtown and suggest they take the short cab ride (or walk! It's spring! ... to Decca, Rye, Wiltshire or Mayan Cafe. Or, heck, Royals Hot Chicken or Feast BBQ.

If they're really confined to downtown, though, 8Up for the bar scene alone ... I haven't been back since their first chef and host blew town almost simultaneously in the early days. Is Atlantic No. 9 open for dinner these days?
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:05 am

Atlantic No. 5 is only open for breakfast and lunch, until 2:30 PM. They missed Mussel & Burger Bar, which is a short stroll away. Manny & Merle's is another good addition.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:33 am

The man may be a dbag, but Jeff Ruby's is the best steak in town, not sure it's even close either. Nice atmosphere as well, it definitely belongs on a downtown visitor list.

While I'm sure there are hardcore foodies among those visiting, most are just basketball fans. A Steakhouse dinner is always a popular choice.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:54 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:The man may be a dbag, but Jeff Ruby's is the best steak in town,

Have you been to Le Moo yet?
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:34 am

Not yet, on my list...

.., but I've been to Peter Luger, SW, Keen's, Sparks, Cut, Gibson's, Bavette's, and a host of others...

Ruby's stacks up to any of them in my opinion. Of course, I love a hard sear.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

by Ellen P » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:45 pm

UofL fans before/after games go to O'Sheas, Troll Pub, basically Whiskey Row on both sides.

A nice place to gather is the Galt House 'bridge' bar, the one over 4th Street. Lots of nice seating and views. Close to a lot of parking (take the Pedway over to the arena.) Bar with a local beer or two. Plus the deli area with food to munch on there or to go. Depending on the crowd, there might be table service beyond the bar area.

BBC. Either level. If you are fortunate that the 3rd level is open, go up there - wonderful spot

None of these places are necessarily great foodie places but before/after games, I recommend these. You want to be close to the arena.

The new restaurant at 4th Street Live that Junior has an interest in, was very nice. Gordon Biersch Brewery.

I realize you guys are giving them the foodie places but sometimes visitors are looking for location, beverage, then food. :-)
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:33 pm

^ correct.

I'm a hardcore foodie, who also travels all over the country following UK during the tournament...haven't missed a game in 5 years through the Final 4 (not this year. :oops: )

...We typically go to a nice meal one night on the "off day" assuming we win and have to stick around. The rest of the meals are dictated by convenience to the arena, # of TVs to watch the other games, and overall "tournament" atmosphere, which is the most fun part of sports travel, being (aka, drinking) with all the fans.

99% of the people visiting for the games aren't here on a foodie mission...which is why Troll Pub, O'sheas, etc will be wall2wall all weekend. I get it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:18 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Not yet, on my list...

.., but I've been to Peter Luger, SW, Keen's, Sparks, Cut, Gibson's, Bavette's, and a host of others...

Ruby's stacks up to any of them in my opinion. Of course, I love a hard sear.

There ya go! I'm not hating on Ruby's, btw. You stated it very nicely in your first post. :mrgreen: We went to Le Moo recently and were pretty impressed with their commitment to sourcing quality beef. Their attitude struck me as a cut above the chains and some of the locals.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:06 am

I actually think the Bristol may be the best choice on that list for pre-game dinner simply because it's always empty on game day. If you tell them you're trying to make the game they'll rush your order, too.

I wouldn't recommend trying to get into any of the places right by the arena before the game.

Strange that they'd pull in the Bristol, which is further away than Proof, and they mentioned Jeff Ruby's but didn't mention Proof.