Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

ibrahim.kul

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Döner Kebab German Style

by ibrahim.kul » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:35 pm

Hey Guy's

I wanted to ask if somebody knows about an authentic Döner Kebab shop in Louisville like we have in Germany? If yes please post a link or even better a picture of it.... :wink:

Thank you best regards ibrahim.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Döner Kebab German Style

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:42 pm

Gasthaus might have it, at least now and then. I can't think of anyplace else that's likely to have a treal European-style Döner Kebab.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:43 pm

By the way, I see that your Facebook page shows you are in the Czech Republic. Are you planning to visit Louisville?
no avatar
User

ibrahim.kul

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:28 pm

by ibrahim.kul » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:30 am

Hey i am sorry to answer late bud we have a time difference here in the Europe and i was tired.... I am planning to open Kebab Shop in USA bud looking for a City wich is big enough and so far as possible without competition..... I will visit the cities wich looks like they're good enough for my investment of time and money in some month :)

Yes you are right i am living in the Czech Republic but original we are Turkish Family wich moved in 1993 to Germany we own here in Czech 1 Kebab Shop and in Germany my Family ownes one.

I saw much German's are starting with idea to open an Kebab Shop in the USA but no one of them do know how to make the meat or even cut it after looong investigation online Louisville looks best for now to open something if somebody could post me a picture of the Kebab wich are actually sold there wiuld be nice :wink:

Pozdravem ibrahim
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:07 am

Thanks for the reply, Ibrahim! I wish you well in this venture, wherever you end up. On the one hand, Louisville is growing increasingly diverse. Children with more than 100 native languages are being taught in our local public schools. We do have lots of restaurants from different cultures.

But on the other hand, when we welcomed a lot of Bosnian refugees a few years ago, quite a few Bosnian restaurants opened, but only one or two have survived. We had a good Turkish restaurant for a while, but it did not survive. So I won't pretend that the road is easy for a new restaurant with less familiar food. Of course, good marketing and a very good product can make a difference!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:59 am

The Grape Leaf (http://www.grapeleafonline.com/) has a variety of kebabs. While none are what you are describing, they do represent what people here might envision when they hear the term "kebob"! I can't find a picture, sorry.
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 am

This sounds interesting. Over here, what the Turkish call a doner kebab is more frequently labeled a gyros, particularly if the owner's background is Greek, or shawarma if the proprietors have an Arabic background. Most Americans associate the term 'kebab' with skewered meats as in shish kebab, although I'm sure those of Turkish descent would beg to differ. Regardless, semantics mean little if the food is good.
In addition to Andrew's recommendation of the Grape Leaf, which is a good one, you may want to google Safier Louisville for images of a shawarma, or Eat-A-Pita Louisville for pictures of a gyros. I didn't post those links because you'll probably have better luck finding pictures through Yelp or Facebook.
As Robin mentioned, Louisville has a large, and growing, immigrant population. While I'm not sure of any particular Turkish neighborhoods, there are certainly sizeable pockets of various Middle Eastern-background communities. Finding a location close to one of those areas might help you get your feet on the ground.
Question: Do you use the bread that looks a bit like a waffle, as is common in Germany? I've always thought that looked good, and I regret not trying it when I was there.
Best of luck in your endeavors, the world (including Louisville) needs more food ambassadors!
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:20 am

Ibrahim, would your kebab shop offer schaschlik?
(I hope so!)
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:21 pm

Hi Ibrahim

I've eaten about a million Doeners in my time in Germany. Steve is right. Americans associate them with the Greek Gyro so this food is already known (by another name) and available in the States.

You may want to differentiate with your bread offerings (dueruem) or by offering super spicy levels. Pick a place near bars since Americans often like to have spicy/meaty snacks after a bit of drinking. Also, since you have some experience with German street food... you might even consider including some currywurst in your menu.
User

DanB

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:47 am

San Francisco

by DanB » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:30 pm

If you're in Ostrava I know a Louisville guy in F-M who could maybe tell you more about the city. He speaks Czech.
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi I have a greek gyros place just 20 minutes out of Louisviille, AJs Gyros To Go. As you are most probably aware, the British adopted the Turkish Doner Kebab and the Americans adopted the Greek Gyros. There are plenty of vendors and places that sell the meat, pitas and tzatziki sauce etc. Mine are generally known as the best gyros people have ever had, so I look forward to a little competition should you decide to open in Louisville, Ha ha.
Alison Hanover
User

nina.greipel

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:10 pm

by nina.greipel » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:56 am

I would love to see a real Döner place open in Louisville, you know with real tzatziki sauce and shredded slaw, yum!! The closest I've seen is Jasmin's Bakery, but I think we could use more.
no avatar
User

sargon.ca

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:09 am

by sargon.ca » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:11 am

Hello everyone,

Check out www.GN1Food.com or like fb.com/GN1Food and try the first authentic German Döner Kebap in Louisville!

Thanks,
Sargon
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:54 am

sargon.ca wrote:Hello everyone,

Check out http://www.GN1Food.com or like fb.com/GN1Food and try the first authentic German Döner Kebap in Louisville!

Hello, Sargon! This is your food truck?
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:53 am

It's definitely legit. I've seen this truck many times on Main st. downtown. I don't usually fawn over food trucks like most people in Louisville do. The price and quality are the issues I have with them (maybe it was Celtic Pig that was the nail in the coffin). This looks good though.
Next