Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

jacob.james

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:39 am

Help with tablet-based point of sale systems

by jacob.james » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:50 am

I am hoping to get some insight from restaurant owners/operators about their experience with tablet-based restaurant point of sale systems. Are they really worth the hype?

I've seen the presentation from different POS provider, but would like to see it in action in a restaurant environment. ( without going for the demo offered by them) .

I'd really appreciate it if someone who has the system would let me come and see how it works.

Google search returns many names that I haven't even heard of. So, please do suggest some POS providers as well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Help with tablet-based point of sale systems

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:34 am

Thinking out loud, I've seen tablets at (I think) Feast BBQ, and definitely at Con Huevos on Frankfort and The Hub Cafe in Jeffersonville. They're all friendly, and the Con Huevos people speak English well, so I'll bet if you put out a call they'd respond. Feel free to tell them I suggested you call.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:32 am

May we ask the name of the restaurant you operate?
no avatar
User

MaggiePatterson

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:52 pm

by MaggiePatterson » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:48 am

Papalinos in springhurst uses Revel POS system. It's iPad based. In the beginning it was a pain to deal with but I think as we all know it's gotten better as they've gotten older. I have had a couple of updates and know how to make the system work for us so that helps. I think there will always be a learning curve with any type of tablet based anything.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:01 am

Jumbo Buffet on Hurstbourne is using a tablet-based payment system with a portable printer. The server does it all at the table. I didn't catch the name, but it worked very well. After having my bank account hacked multiple times I've become hesitant to let my card disappear to the back of the house.

I asked the name of the OP's operation because I suspected it might be a back-door pitch from a POS salesperson.