Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

VK

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

VK

by Tony G » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:34 pm

I know most all of y'all know how good VK is. Just a shout out to a fabulous meal there tonite. It's no surprise to anyone that's been there. Friendly, exceptional service. Quality food at unreal prices. I tried something different tonite. Spicy chicken and rice noodles. We left SO happy! This place is a Louisville gem/institution. I can't say enough good about them. Something about being home and 100% satisfied with your meal and service. Just 2 miles from our home. I hope they never close, also hope they know how cherished they are to us that visit there.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: VK

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Tony! It's a few more miles from our place off Frankfort Avenue, but still well worth the trip.

The only issue I have is that I love Annie Cafe and some of the other less-known Vietnamese places in the South End, too, so I have to get out there more often to give them all a little love. 8)
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:41 am

Robin Garr wrote: I have to get out there more often to give them all a little love. 8)

+1 It takes a concerted effort and I agree completely.
no avatar
User

alejandro.magallanez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:12 am

by alejandro.magallanez » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:10 am

This is not the first, and most certainly won't be the last, post expressing love for VK. I notice however every time regrets about the distance from the posters to the restaurant, as if driving to the south end (my neck of the woods BTW,) likens to the Hebrews' journey through the wilderness. Having worked on and witnessesed the development of Frankfort Ave, seeing what seemed like a new restaurant every week along Market and Main push east from downtown, now the rise of Buchertown to connect the two, a thriving Bardstown Rd scene better than it ever was and now pushing into Germantown maybe, and the rise of our southern Indiana friends, my question is when will this movement push to the south end? With the continuing marketing of Churchill Downs as more than just the Derby it would seem that the time is right to give diners an option that is not a 30 minute drive away. (And before anyone says, "Why not you chef?" while I would love to, not in a position to do so right now)
Alejandro Magallanez
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:16 am

This really is a kind of food desert out here. I'm from Middletown, went to Eastern. My wife is a South ender. So we frequently will Gene Snyder or Watterson all the way across the county for food/drinks. But living very close to VK makes it so easy to frequent there. With the upcoming renovation of Dixie I really hope some upscale restaurants give us a try out here. But we really don't mind driving 10-20 miles to a place.
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:30 am

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks for the reminder, Tony! It's a few more miles from our place off Frankfort Avenue, but still well worth the trip.

The only issue I have is that I love Annie Cafe and some of the other less-known Vietnamese places in the South End, too, so I have to get out there more often to give them all a little love. 8)

I actually prefer Annie Cafe, but it doesn't seem to get the same press.

To the extent that places like these get press anyway... :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:12 am

Personally, I like the upscale/city/French-inspired Vietnamese food at Basa better than the "country" or street food at VK.. We were at Basa over the weekend, the food was wonderful (as always), imaginative, and inspired!

Quite frankly - while we like River House - we ordered some similar seafood at Basa, and the food quality was definitely superior at Basa.

I don't understand how Basa has continued this long without raising prices to any major degree . . . it's still low 20's/upper teens, for great service and top food.
Andrew Mellman