Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Why we don't eat out very much

by Ellen P » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:13 pm

Service.

No details but having had two disappointing experiences in two days. Glad we didn't spend a lot at either location - around $25 at the bar; about the same for lunch today.

Anyway, a new position needs to be created in the restaurant industry - and maybe it's just Louisville.

Someone needs to walk through the restaurant and ask how is your meal; thank them for coming in; can I get you anything.

Food can be disappointing but if your server takes care of you and someone comes through the dining room to thank you again for coming, that can make up for a lot.

Recently we went to Silvio's for the first time. Sat at the bar. The owner stopped by twice while we were there. The bartender was attentive, pleasant, fun which made it very nice for all 10 of us at the bar.

I would rather enjoy my grocery shopping and cook/prepare at home than pay someone who doesn't care.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

Re: Why we don't eat out very much

by Nora Boyle » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:42 pm

I actually think the problem is servers and the service industry not taking their jobs as seriously as they should be. Of course the owners of the restaurant demand good thoughtful service, but the job in recent years is treated as a go between middle thing on the way to something else. Or they're "stuck there" and thus are apathetic. I personally have only found enjoyment in my job solving problems and answering questions, fielding that line between what a customer wants and what the kitchen is trying to portray, but really what it comes down to is if you aren't happy in your career then you should be working towards something else. But in the mean time, shouldn't you be doing the job to the best of your abilities???? Chaps my ass on a regular basis.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:42 am

Ellen P wrote:
Anyway, a new position needs to be created in the restaurant industry - and maybe it's just Louisville.

Someone needs to walk through the restaurant and ask how is your meal; thank them for coming in; can I get you anything.

I thought we had this position. It used to be called "Manager."
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:29 am

RonnieD wrote:
Ellen P wrote:Anyway, a new position needs to be created in the restaurant industry - and maybe it's just Louisville.

I thought we had this position. It used to be called "Manager."

I thought that when I 1st read her post. Can't see what's different about what she's proposing and a manager. The managers are very good about doing that but good ones certainly are and that's why the restaurants succeed!

In the worst-case if you're having problems you should seek out the manager instead of waiting for them to come to you.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:17 pm

When was the last time the minimum wage for servers was increased? How many times have we heard "these are unskilled starter jobs for people just getting into the work force; that's why the pay is so low."
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Richard S. wrote:When was the last time the minimum wage for servers was increased? How many times have we heard "these are unskilled starter jobs for people just getting into the work force; that's why the pay is so low."

Exactly! It's like everyone wants it both ways - artisanal service with the pay of an unskilled laborer.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:30 am

If servers made more hourly the anti-tipping faction would be up in arms demanding a lower tipping standard. Just saying.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:55 am

Gary Z wrote:If servers made more hourly the anti-tipping faction would be up in arms demanding a lower tipping standard. Just saying.

Yup. I totally agree.

Not meaning to stir a hornets nest here BUT...the way things are set up now, a diner has no idea what kind of service they will be getting when they sit down to dine. In most other work situations, if an employee shows poor work ethics or functions below a standard they are let go, fired. The business quickly realizes they are not getting their investment back from that employee. But it seems when a business only pays a fraction of MW then they often (not always) accept minor excuses to keep that below par employee. "They fill a scheduling hole" being the usual excuse.

I waver back and forth on the "tip/no tipping" issue and I (as well as my family) was in the biz myself for many years. There are valid arguments for both sides. The bottom line in most given situations is you are courting trouble if you don't pay people what they are worth. If an employer doesn't show his appreciation for his employees then the really good ones go elsewhere.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:53 am

New business idea: "Rent-a-Waiter" Think of a maid service mixed with Uber. You put in a cellphone request for a waiter, they meet you at the restaurant of your choosing and then you two negotiate payment. You can read reviews of them and leave them as well. You don't have to worry about poor wages or tipping, you will be the manager of your own personal server. They won't have other tables or chores, just your top flight service.

It's a whole new world, let's get creative. :wink:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:05 am

Adriel Gray wrote:New business idea: "Rent-a-Waiter"

Disruptive! :lol: I may steal this ... with credit ...
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:21 am

Adriel Gray wrote:New business idea: "Rent-a-Waiter" Think of a maid service mixed with Uber. You put in a cellphone request for a waiter, they meet you at the restaurant of your choosing and then you two negotiate payment. You can read reviews of them and leave them as well. You don't have to worry about poor wages or tipping, you will be the manager of your own personal server. They won't have other tables or chores, just your top flight service.

I like someone that thinks outside the box!
Women frequently follow their favorite hairdresser or manicurist to whatever establishment they move to. People already follow favorite bartenders. Maybe Adriel isn't far from the mark.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:30 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Adriel Gray wrote:New business idea: "Rent-a-Waiter"

Disruptive! :lol: I may steal this ... with credit ...

Steal away, I got plenty of ideas.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:29 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:New business idea: "Rent-a-Waiter" Think of a maid service mixed with Uber. You put in a cellphone request for a waiter, they meet you at the restaurant of your choosing and then you two negotiate payment. You can read reviews of them and leave them as well. You don't have to worry about poor wages or tipping, you will be the manager of your own personal server. They won't have other tables or chores, just your top flight service.

I suppose this would work if you wanted a server with absolutely no product knowledge of what they're serving. Or I guess they could memorize 500 different menus.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Gary Z wrote:
I suppose this would work if you wanted a server with absolutely no product knowledge of what they're serving. Or I guess they could memorize 500 different menus.

Maybe in reality you would actually need 2 waiters, one from the restaurant to tell you about the menu and then your personal one to take care of your service once you've ordered!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:00 pm

So people that choose to wait tables are the victims here? Nope. Big fat hairy nope. No one forced them into this line of work. Nobody did. Not on person. I CHOOSE IT. If you can't respect it and do your best at it, do something else. A manager may or may not be good at their job. They certainly don't control the level of good service. If anything they go behind and fix it. Which means you shouldn't be waiting tables.
If I choose to be your robot server, I'll be good at that as well. Because it's my job. V
Next