Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Separate tip line for kitchen staff? What say you?

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:29 am

Alimento restaurant in Los Angeles a few months ago came up with the idea of adding a separate tip line to the tab, offering diners the option of sharing a little love with kitchen staff, I kind of like the idea. Without getting into the usual back-and-forth about the pros and cons of the tipping economy, given current realities, what do you think?

alimento.jpg

http://www.lamag.com/digestblog/aliment ... ty-checks/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Separate tip line for kitchen staff? What say you?

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:42 am

I really don't like the idea that well. In my mind it's hard to pick somebody that you have no contact with even though they contributed to your visit. I like the concept but...
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:17 pm

My reaction to the second sentence in the restaurant's offer would be to write on the ticket: "To management: Please note that 'current labor laws' do not prevent you from offering a higher wage to the kitchen 'lads and ladies'. Maybe management could consider participating in that."

Realize that diners, too, have a budget. I budget 20 to 25 percent to gratuities. If I were to designate a gratuity for the kitchen staff, the total gratuity for them and the server would stay within my budget. So, anything designated for the kitchen would come from the server's portion. The server might not be happy with that, but isn't that essentially "tipping out" ("sharing server's tips" in the restaurant's explanation language). The only difference is that the customer does the tipping out (legal) vs. the server doing it (apparently illegal).
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:18 pm

Jay M. wrote:My reaction to the second sentence in the restaurant's offer would be to write on the ticket: "To management: Please note that 'current labor laws' do not prevent you from offering a higher wage to the kitchen 'lads and ladies'. Maybe management could consider participating in that."

Realize that diners, too, have a budget. I budget 20 to 25 percent to gratuities. If I were to designate a gratuity for the kitchen staff, the total gratuity for them and the server would stay within my budget. So, anything designated for the kitchen would come from the server's portion. The server might not be happy with that, but isn't that essentially "tipping out" ("sharing server's tips" in the restaurant's explanation language). The only difference is that the customer does the tipping out (legal) vs. the server doing it (apparently illegal).

Dear diner: We are prevented from offering higher wages not by current labor laws, but by the amount you and your fellow diners are willing to pay for dinner. We'd be delighted to be able to pay our staff more, but it would mean significant menu price increases that we don't think the market would bear. So we've come up with this strategy as a way to let those who are able and willing be generous and show their appreciation to the kitchen staff.
no avatar
User

TimT

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 10, 2011 4:43 pm

West of the Mississippi

by TimT » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:14 am

Dear Ownership,
It is your responsibility to create a business plan that works for every stakeholder. That means wage scale, pricing, and profitability. Those for whom the plan does not meet their needs may seek alternate dining, employment, or investment opportunities applicable to your stakeholder position.
"I dined at my favorite restaurant last night. It was like Heaven, only better. They let me in".
no avatar
User

Beth Thorpe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Highlands

by Beth Thorpe » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:29 am

Yes, I would do it. I have liked places that offer a line for buying a beer for the kitchen staff as well. I might not do it everywhere, but places where I loved the food? I would be hard put to not show the love if I possibly could.
no avatar
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:58 pm

To me, menu price + expected tip is the same as a higher menu price + no tipping allowed. I prefer the latter.

I don't typically leave a bad tip anywhere when I eat out because I don't want to be labelled as a poor tipper if I decide to return. I go out to restaurants to eat not to critique service or give tips to managers on how their service or food could be better.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:16 am

Robin Garr wrote:Alimento restaurant in Los Angeles a few months ago came up with the idea of adding a separate tip line to the tab, offering diners the option of sharing a little love with kitchen staff, I kind of like the idea. Without getting into the usual back-and-forth about the pros and cons of the tipping economy, given current realities, what do you think?

alimento.jpg

http://www.lamag.com/digestblog/aliment ... ty-checks/

No.

/I really don't think it deserves more words than that in response
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:18 pm

NO
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 pm

Beth Thorpe wrote:...buying a beer for the kitchen staff...

Funny you mention that. Last time at Rye they had a dessert offering of "Buy PBRs for the Kitchen". I thought that was clever and we ordered the dessert. It was getting late and they were near the end of service. With the open kitchen I could see they did indeed deliver the beers to the "lads and ladies" there.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:20 am

TimT wrote:Dear Ownership,
It is your responsibility to create a business plan that works for every stakeholder. That means wage scale, pricing, and profitability. Those for whom the plan does not meet their needs may seek alternate dining, employment, or investment opportunities applicable to your stakeholder position.

I agree.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:33 pm

It's a Tip.

You can't compel anyone to do it, but you can encourage it.

This seems a bit much to me- this number of pushing people to tip people they aren't supposed to tip. It can be a turn-off. A much more elegant way of going about the affair (what I do) is to mention the cook's name in conversation:

'Matt worked on this all day.'

'That was Darius's concept.'

'Arthur worked hard on that.'

People appreciate this stuff. They know BOH work their butts off. FOH is in the business of service and promotion. It's an easy sell- six words, off-handed. You're not going to turn anyone off.

Time-willing, they'll get a 'Chef-visit,' making for a better meal and one helluva happier cook.
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

by Paula B » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:56 pm

We have a guest that regularly walks back and tips out every kitchen team member--- It is an amazing , generous, thoughtful thing for him to do,,, and that he does it almost every time he comes in our restaurant has not been forgotten by any of the boh staff...However, adding a line to tip the boh-- just doesn't seem "right" to me.... just my 2 cents..
no avatar
User

sofia.mj

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am

by sofia.mj » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:39 pm

As a customer I don't like it one bit. I would feel compelled by politeness to tip the kitchen staff, but because it is not customary I would feel slightly taken advantage of by the situation. But if I don't tip, I would end up feeling guilty. Either way, I end up feeling stressed out and would probably avoid returning to the restaurant.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 am

sofia.mj wrote:As a customer I don't like it one bit. I would feel compelled by politeness to tip the kitchen staff, but because it is not customary I would feel slightly taken advantage of by the situation. But if I don't tip, I would end up feeling guilty. Either way, I end up feeling stressed out and would probably avoid returning to the restaurant.

Why would you feel that way when it says in big bold letters that there's no expectation?
Next