Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Pho Ba Luu coming to Butchertown

by Mark R. » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Why is it that every story you read about parking in downtown Louisville says that we have too many surface parking spaces and we need to get rid of some of them. Yet every time you need a parking space there is never one to be had! Sounds like we have too many in the wrong places but not too many overall. I thought there was a section of Metro codes that placed a minimum number of parking spaces based on the occupancy load for the restaurant or retail facility.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:27 am

It's in an urban environment! Of course you might have to walk a bit.

Louisvillians are so car-cultured, it's insane. We'll walk from the back of the Kroger parking lot to the store doors and then to back of that giant store, but heaven help us if we have to walk half a block to a local restaurant, even if it's the same distance. "There's no parking." "Too much hassle." "Don't think I'll be returning."

Edit to add: Mark R, I didn't see your comment on the next page before I responded. My comments about walking weren't directed at you, though it appears that way now. I'm a firm believer in accommodating the differently abled.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:14 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It's in an urban environment! Of course you might have to walk a bit.

Louisvillians are so car-cultured, it's insane. We'll walk from the back of the Kroger parking lot to the store doors and then to back of that giant store, but heaven help us if we have to walk half a block to a local restaurant, even if it's the same distance. "There's no parking." "Too much hassle." "Don't think I'll be returning." ...

Jeff, would you concede an urban-suburban difference here? I'm not sure Highlands, Clifton and Crescent Hill, Old Louisville and Germantown residents have quite the same acquired attitude as those with two-car attached garages and houses on cul-de-sacs.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:55 am

My issue with parking at pho baa lu wasn't that I had to walk, it was that physically finding a spot was difficult due to one-way streets, no parking signs, and road work. Maybe it has improved since then.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:56 am

For those complaining about a lack of urban parking in a city that has been practically paved over, do us a favor and stay in the east end.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:48 am

I can't find my "like" button...^^^^
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:51 am

Jeremy J wrote:I can't find my "like" button...^^^^

I chuckled, and I do speak fluent snark. Let's try to crank down the less-than-civil behafvior, though, folks. That's how we try to distinguish this place from Teh Face Book. :mrgreen:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:23 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It's in an urban environment! Of course you might have to walk a bit.

Louisvillians are so car-cultured, it's insane. We'll walk from the back of the Kroger parking lot to the store doors and then to back of that giant store, but heaven help us if we have to walk half a block to a local restaurant, even if it's the same distance. "There's no parking." "Too much hassle." "Don't think I'll be returning." ...

Jeff, would you concede an urban-suburban difference here? I'm not sure Highlands, Clifton and Crescent Hill, Old Louisville and Germantown residents have quite the same acquired attitude as those with two-car attached garages and houses on cul-de-sacs.

Yes, I do recognize that. My point is that expectations should be calibrated to a business's location and environment.

I've been to PBL three times and haven't had trouble finding parking within a block on any of those occasions. Twice I parked right around the corner on Story, and once across Main and around the corner on Baxter.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:37 am

Robin Garr wrote: I'm not sure Highlands, Clifton and Crescent Hill, Old Louisville and Germantown residents have quite the same acquired attitude.

Well, based on board postings, they've certainly acquired some kind of attitude...although I don't know that "condescending prick" isn't more of a disposition...

I am, of course, joking because nobody would be so ignorant as to ascribe personality traits based on zip code.

Well, except maybe a holier-than-thou, my-way-is-better snobbish pseudo-hipster restaurant sect...

For the record, I enjoy walking and, personally, wouldn't want to live in the east end, but this thread makes me shake my head in a bemused fashion.

I live in St. Matthews, so, I can't tell if I'm cool or not :(

Can one of you let me know?
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Since I mentioned the lack of parking here, too, I feel like I should expound on my post. I mentioned it because sometimes it makes a difference in if I will patronize a restaurant or not. If I'm eating out with a mobility limited companion or an elderly relative I want to know if there is parking close to the restaurant, I also want to know if it's easily handicapped accessible. If I'm in a time crunch and am ordering take out it makes a difference if I can park close and run in and out or have to park a block or two away. I'm not demanding every place have a parking lot with expansive parking, I'm just noting that sometimes it's handy to know what the parking situation is. Now we all know.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Dan E wrote:"condescending prick"

I'm just going to let that one lay right there for everyones amusement.

I live in St. Matthews, so, I can't tell if I'm cool or not :(

Can one of you let me know?

Used to be a suburb, but now it's inside the Watterson. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Dan E » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:49 pm

Oh, Robin, your geographical and homophonal superiority know no bounds. I am sure that everyone west of an undisclosed waypoint will have a good snicker!

For clarification, highway construction has made me cool again?

Where do I apply for my Snark Card?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Dan E wrote:Where do I apply for my Snark Card?

I think you already have one, Dan. Next step, learn how to use it intelligently.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Dan E » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:05 pm

I think it is unfair to ask me to "learn to be intelligent". As you established beyond a shadow of a doubt the last time I disagreed with a popular stance, I am actually fairly stupid.

I think it would be nice if, understanding my limited faculties, you merely applauded my participation.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Dan E wrote:I think it would be nice if, understanding my limited faculties, you merely applauded my participation.

Deal. Thanks for being here, Dan. :)

PreviousNext