Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Pho Ba Luu coming to Butchertown

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:59 pm

Interesting stuff ... I'll just print the whole press release.

Pho Ba Luu to Open This Summer in Butchertown
Fast casual Vietnamese restaurant will bring authentic food from the streets of Saigon to town

A new fast casual Vietnamese restaurant is coming to Louisville. Pho Ba Luu will open in the soon-to-be-renovated Butcherblock Properties, located at 1009-1019 East Main Street, sometime this summer. The nine-building complex that anchors the crossing where Wenzel, East Main, and East Washington Streets all intersect in Butchertown is the perfect space for the 2,200 sq. ft. modern eatery.

"As I learned more and more about their concept, I became more and more certain that Pho Ba Luu was the right fit as the anchor for this development," said developer Andy Blieden. "And now, after seeing the design that they have put forward, and now tasted the food for myself, I can't imagine anything else in the space."

Blieden, along with Pho Ba Luu partners, is transforming the cinderblock building that features 13-ft. bays, and once housed a service station, into a 75-seat dining destination located at 1019 East Main Street. An outdoor patio will provide an al fresco experience with an additional 40 seats.

The menu will include Vietnamese staples like chicken or beef pho and several varieties of banh mi, plus imperial rolls, spring rolls, vermicelli bowls with the choice of a protein, and a few other entree options like chicken curry with coconut milk rice bowls and shaken beef rice bowls. All of the dishes, including entrees, fresh bread, and desserts, will be made in house. Beer, both draft and bottles, and wine will also be offered.

The concept has been a dream for several of the partners for more than a year now. It has just been within the last 6 months that Mimi Ha and Jessica Mach have been able to bring their culinary dream to reality as the perfect location became available and the perfect developer was added to the team.

"I've been blessed to be part of August Moon for over 25 years," says Ha, Managing Partner of August Moon and Partner Consultant of Pho Ba Luu. "It's so exiting to now collaborate with Jessica on the food of my childhood with our new venture together. We have had so much fun the past several months fully developing the Pho Ba Luu concept."

Mimi will continue in her role at August Moon moving forward, and will work with Jessica simultaneously as they get the new concept off the ground.

"I'm honored to have the opportunity to work with and learn from someone so successful in the restaurant business," says Mach, Managing Partner of Pho Ba Luu. "Mimi and I, from the very first moment we met, shared the same vision of creating a restaurant serving freshly made authentic Vietnamese food that you might find cooking in the typical Vietnamese home or on the streets of Saigon."

Pho Ba Luu partners, along with Blieden, orchestrated the overall design of the space relying on the talents of Chris Burgin, lighting and scenic director at Axxis Inc.; Scott Rudd of Chef Suppy; and, architect Ted Payne of St. Mathews.

"We let the menu lead the design of the open kitchen with the intention of maximizing efficiency and speed of service," said Mach. "Likewise, we let the building, and what we were calling the 'Butchertown aesthetic,' guide our design choices in the overall interior space and patio. There will be subtle hints of an Asian aesthetic in the design, but any overt Asian theming of the restaurant will be experienced on the plate, or better yet, in the bowl."

Pho Ba Luu will be open 7 days a week from 11am to 10pm. Updates and grand opening information will be released as they become available. For more information, visit www.phobaluu.com
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Pho Ba Luu coming to Butchertown

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:22 pm

This is exciting!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:09 pm

Has anyone been by there lately? Has renovation started yet?
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:39 pm

James Natsis wrote:Has anyone been by there lately? Has renovation started yet?

We went by their couple of weeks ago and I don't recall seeing anything much going on but I was really looking for anything either so we could have missed it. It's a pretty nondescript looking building that sits right on the street. Given the release said the address was 1009-1019 Main St. I wonder if they are going to turn down a couple of the old shotgun houses next door to the building they are making into the restaurant. Otherwise is likely to be much parking at all since the street parking in that area, especially during the day is pretty well used.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Yes, the plans Blieden put together included renovating the shotguns and including them in the development.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:07 am

Wow! Looking forward to this!
(Could someone post , phonetically, how the name is pronounced and if it translates into something or is merely a proper name? Thanks!)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:48 am

Carla G wrote:Wow! Looking forward to this!
(Could someone post , phonetically, how the name is pronounced and if it translates into something or is merely a proper name? Thanks!)

Pho is Vietnamese soup, and geeks pronounce it "phuh" in a rude effort to replicate the original. "Ba" means "three" in Vietnamese, I'm pretty sure (from the notorious "33" beer, "Ba mi ba") and it's just like "baa, baa black sheep." Luu, I dunno, but I'm guessing it's pronounced "Loo."

So, "Foe Baa Loo"? Or "Phuh baa loo"? Just guessing here ...
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:57 pm

The C-J's story explains the name:

The family collaboration gets a nod in the restaurant's name. Ba means mother or Mrs., [partner Stewart] Davis said, and, “Luu is Jessica's mother's family name [Jessica Mach is another partner]. It's to honor her mother.” It's also a shout-out to Louisville.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /81434146/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:29 pm

The more I think about this the more I love the concept that I really wonder if it's the ideal location for it. It's close to anything other than the elementary school and the Swift/Armor slaughterhouse complex. Also, especially during the day parking in that area is a complete mess. Unlike Butchertown Grocery this doesn't sound like a destination restaurant.

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:41 pm

Mark R. wrote:The more I think about this the more I love the concept that I really wonder if it's the ideal location for it. It's close to anything other than the elementary school and the Swift/Armor slaughterhouse complex. Also, especially during the day parking in that area is a complete mess. Unlike Butchertown Grocery this doesn't sound like a destination restaurant.

Your concern is understandable. However, the area is in transition and will be an easy walk for many. I think it could go either way. If the design, visibility factor, parking, and product are done well it could be a hit. Besides, the Vietnamese offerings in the immediate area are sparse, at best.

I'm often in that area so I could see myself popping in from time to time.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Stewart D

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:46 pm

by Stewart D » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Thank you for all your interest in our project. Pho is pronounced "fuh". And, to anwer the question regarding the name...it's to honor Jessica's mother who's family name is Luu. And, yes BA is 3 depending on the accent mark. In our case it is meant to convey "Mrs.", again to honor Mrs. Luu...Jessicas Mom back in Vietnam. Vietnamese is tricky, as pronuciation and situation can dramatically change the meaning. If you want see the design of the space, we have a photo loop posted on www.facebook.com/phobaluulouisville . We are converting a cynder block service garage with a 14ft garage door in the front and back into a modern space. The kitchen will be open. The patio will open up into a larger courtyard. It's truly unique.

Part of the reason we loved the location...is the building and the patio / courtyard that we get to be part of converting. Believe me, we struggled with the idea of the lunch-time parking but finally got past that issue by realizing the business that are located right in the neighboorhood that would support us. Feast is 2 blocks away and can do over 300 for lunch. And, after 5pm on weekdays and on weekends we will have plenty of parking. The patio for happy hour is really going to be a focus after Jessica and Mimi get lunch and dinner solid. We're excited to finally get this going after 2 years in the planning.

Thanks again for all the interest.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Stewart D wrote:Thank you for all your interest in our project. Pho is pronounced "fuh". ...

Thanks for all the info, Stewart, and welcome to the forum!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks for chiming in Stewart, the information on Facebook looks nice. What are you going to do with the houses next door to the block building? The original article I read shows your dress including them. We are certainly looking forward to you opening.

no avatar
User

Stewart D

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:46 pm

by Stewart D » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:42 pm

Again, thanks for your support. We are just in 1019 East Main Street. The shotguns are being developed to house individual business. The real cool thing is that Andy Blieden purchased nearly the entire block that wraps around to the back of the buildings, so there is a courtyard that all the buildings will share. We will have a patio that will overlook the courtyard. Regards, Stewart and Jessica
Next