Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Azalea survives sharp criticism to win CJ's 3-star rating

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:13 pm

I'm just taking a peek, no time for an in-depth analysis from over here, but at a glance, it looks like another slight discord between Marty's three-star rating for Azalea and the following observation about the food and service:

" ... there are perplexing discordant notes — uneven temperatures on the plate, nearly raw potatoes in the accompanying vegetable medley, and exceedingly long waits between courses — so long that in the absence of any comforting news from our server, we sometimes felt like exiles."

In last week's review, you'll recall, we had to dig long and hard to find the minor nits that seemingly knocked Perla del Pacifico down to a 2 1/2-star rating. It's a little puzzling, but the bottom line seems clear: Don't pay much attention the stars. Just read what the man says.

Azalea's appetizer, entrees have impressive flavors

<B>Azalea</b>
3612 Brownsboro Road
895-5493
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Yeah, as I was reading, I was constantly thinking to myself, "Well this is clearly gonna be a 2.5 star review."

The reviewing is certainly competent, but the discord between the prose and the stars is perplexing.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:09 pm

He admitted he doesn't like to "dwell on the negative" awhile back when he explained his review technique.

So maybe he's keeping most of the negatives to himself?

I dunno. I kind of appreciate knowing the good and the bad. And frankly, even though it's not really the job of the reviewer to help a restaurant improve, it would be nice for them to know how to bring their 2 1/2 up to a 3.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:48 pm

I don't see the disconnect between the La Perla review and the star rating it received. His review came off as though the place was good, and 2.5 stars means "good."

In the entire Azalea review this was the only criticism:

But in the midst of all that, there are perplexing discordant notes — uneven temperatures on the plate, nearly raw potatoes in the accompanying vegetable medley, and exceedingly long waits between courses — so long that in the absence of any comforting news from our server, we sometimes felt like exiles.

The rest of the review is glowing. Not sure why an overall excellent review with two specific criticisms doesn't qualify as 3 stars?

I think Marty is far more consistent, accurate, and and informative than any C-J reviewer in recent memory. I've actually started reading them again.
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:12 am

Just to clear some things up, we don't serve potatoes in our veg medley; they're raddishes. Now I don't know if the server didn't properly explain the medley, or Marty doesn't know what a raddish taste like? But that would explain why he thought they were under cooked. We serve our vegetables al dente.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:40 am

Wow, one would hope that the restaurant critic for the Courier Journal would not mistake a radish for a "nearly raw potato". If that is the cae, Marty might want to print a retraction or clarification next week.
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

Marty...

by amy lyons » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:02 pm

I would think, could tell the difference between a radish and a potato. I think most of us could.
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Marty...

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:57 pm

amy lyons wrote:I would think, could tell the difference between a radish and a potato. I think most of us could.

does that mean you think that the Azalea dude is lying about there not being potato in the veg. medley? I mean if they don't put potato in it, they don't put potato in it. How could he be tasting raw potato then?
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:04 am

As the current sous chef or the "Azalea dude" as Ron likes to put it(whichever is fine w/me). I know what goes into each and every dish. And I can assure you that they are radishes. Look, I'm not here to bash Mr. Rosen. I'm glad the CJ chose Azalea's to do the review. I just wanted to bring some clarity to the matter. The review has already been published and we got what we got (all-n-all I think it was positive). My main concern is having the general public think that we serve half raw potatos when they are actually al dente radishes; thats all, nothing more. Okay, maybe one more thing....just to let everybody know. We re-open for lunch April 2nd and weather providing, the patio also. So come on out and be your own critic! Have fun, eat great food/drink with friends; thats what it's all about anyway right?
Last edited by Bradley C. Pearce on Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Azalea survives sharp criticism to win CJ's 3-star rating

by Doogy R » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:20 am

This is one of the main reasons I love this board. Bradley, and others in the Ville, please keep posting. In some way, it may keep the reviewers a bit on edge and surely let the populace of the Ville know you care. Now, is this site a know all and be all, NO WAY. But it's a great start and when people like Bradley post, I give a bit more credence.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:59 am

Bradley C. Pearce wrote: Look, I'm not here to bash Mr. Rosenburg. I'm glad the CJ chose Azalea's to do the review. I just wanted to bring some clarity to the matter.

Just for the record, it's "Rosen."
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:04 am

. . . and he and Guildenstern are still dead
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Bradley C. Pearce wrote:As the current sous chef or the "Azalea dude" as Ron likes to put it(whichever is fine w/me). I know what goes into each and every dish. And I can assure you that they are radishes. Look, I'm not here to bash Mr. Rosen. I'm glad the CJ chose Azalea's to do the review. I just wanted to bring some clarity to the matter. The review has already been published and we got what we got (all-n-all I think it was positive). My main concern is having the general public think that we serve half raw potatos when they are actually al dente radishes; thats all, nothing more. Okay, maybe one more thing....just to let everybody know. We re-open for lunch April 2nd and weather providing, the patio also. So come on out and be your own critic! Have fun, eat great food/drink with friends; thats what it's all about anyway right?

Mr. Pearce (aka Azalea Dude), thank you for the valuable information. I think it's safe to say that Marty muffed this review. What's interesting is that if he had told his server that the "potato" in his veg med. was raw, the server could've informed him that it was actually a radish.

all in all, I expect that you are pleased with the 3 star review though?
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:01 am

Went to Azalea for a Girls Night Out on WEds and sat outside-loved it-was not too crowded and the food was good! Calamari was delicious and the sauces perfect and the Hummus was good! Split the Red Snapper with a friend and that was Super! All and all a nice night! :D