Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Most annoying restaurant trend?

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Susanne Smith wrote:Our Facebook page covers everything you could possibly get from a web page. Plus links to reviews. And we can respond instantly to any questions or comments... I honestly don't know what the problem is. It would be nice to have all social media covered, but otherwise Facebook does the trick for me.

Yep, and you use Facebook well:
https://www.facebook.com/Shady-Lane-Cafe-176090429755/

A poorly curated Facebook page that's not updated or out-of-date isn't worth much more than a poorly curated Web page, though. Two different roads to the same destination ...
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:11 am

I had a web page when I first opened the Westport General Store ( I owned a web business) and then I set up a Facebook page a few years later. The results were awesome! I not only kept my current customers up to date but I grew my business with the FB page. My web page stayed the same for almost nine years and I relied on my FB page. I still get new views and likes on that page and I have been closed for almost 4 years. By the looks of the wonderful crowds at Shady Lane it seems to be working fine for Bill and Susie. Keep on keeping on.
Will Crawford
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Taking this in a different direction if that's ok. Perhaps this trend is related to the talent shortage or maybe I'm just old fashioned like the guy in the OP, but I really hate it when a host/hostess drops me off at my table and walks away before I am seated. This has been happening A LOT to me lately, even at really service-driven places. As a former hostess myself, I always made sure everyone got situated before I left them to their server. This "drop the menus and run away" business seems to defeat the purpose of a hostess, no? Am I the only one noticing this?

Also, I must add that when my husband and I go out to eat and I have to leave the table, for whatever reason, he puts down his fork and resumes eating when I return. Sure it's old fashioned but it's respectful and, to me, respect never goes out of style.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:42 pm

I like the old school manners, particularly in higher end places. At several places I waited, we actually placed the napkin in the patrons lap. And I was brought up to never take a bite until all had been served at the table. I think some of this is changing with the new trend ( a good trend) of bringing food out when it is hot and at its prime instead having a meal sit under a heat lamp... but all in all, it is nice to keep some of the old school ways.
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:43 pm

Ok my response is for the plate removal problems , IT Really depends on situation say there is a wait or turn on the table , every one it seens want to eat at 7 pm , so when they cant get 7 pm , they take 6 or 630 ( now take into account that there is prob a turn in hour half on that tabke , then they show up 10 min late and then only one guest shiws up at 630 but the rest of there party shows up at 7 mmm ?? So in reality they got one hour untill the the next table w a reservation at 8pm is going to show u !? SO by 8pm when they are just finishing there dinner , your boss is breathing down your neck to clear plates and drop check . Because the 8 pm reso is mad they didn't get the 7 pm reso they wanted and still have to wait ! This happens all the time . I see it at least 40 percent of tables on a Friday or sat night . Now if its the end of the night its prob the server tryiny to leave and not good service , but if u take a 630 reso and your party shows up 7 u are prob the reason it happens but i do agree there is a alot of pushy 4
Rushed service out there and it is sad
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

by Matt C » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:49 pm

O one more thing on that if i loose a turn o. My tables i lost half my pay ! But i wont rush my guests , because i don't think its the right thing to do but when guests do show up late to get the 7 pm reso they couldn't get , u just cosr the whole restaurant money but sorry if u were rushed :lol:
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:46 pm

I still the say the most annoying restaurant trend is making it so that you can't understand the people you're (REALLY LOUD MUSIC AND VOICES BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS AT 100 DECIBELS).
no avatar
User

Susan Mann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:53 pm

by Susan Mann » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:29 am

Not earth-shatteringly important--but I will be happy when wannabe chic restaurants stop serving food on small wooden planks. The food inevitably falls off the too small plank.

Still, wooden planks do not keep us from returning to a restaurant; I agree, loud music/voices that prevent conversation are the worst trend.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:41 am

Annoyed because they're too prompt to fill your water glass? For real? In the world of dining service problems, this is down there with lack of fish fork in the place setting.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:05 am

Charles W. wrote:Annoyed because they're too prompt to fill your water glass? For real? In the world of dining service problems, this is down there with lack of fish fork in the place setting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... larly.html
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Charles W. wrote:Annoyed because they're too prompt to fill your water glass? For real? In the world of dining service problems, this is down there with lack of fish fork in the place setting.

Wellll ... this may be unique to me, but on occasion when I suspect that I've been identified as "critic in the house," a key indicator is that the water-glass refills ramp up, with someone running up to top it off as soon as it's a half-inch down. The problem here is that it's impossible to do this without being at least somewhat intrusive, so when it happens very often it becomes profoundly irritating to the point where it affects my attitude.

Note that I'm not talking about reasonable courtesy in filling an empty glass, but an attempt at "fawning" service that ends up having the opposite of its intended effect.

Sorry, hit a nerve there, never mind! :oops:
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

by Alison Hanover » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:26 pm

If the server did that in a Greek restaurant full of Greek people, he would more than likely have his hand chopped off ha ha. You NEVER clear a table in Greece until they have paid the bill. They eat, stop, talk , drink, smoke, eat, stop, talk, drink, smoke and so on.
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Wellll ... this may be unique to me, but on occasion when I suspect that I've been identified as "critic in the house," a key indicator is that the water-glass refills ramp up, with someone running up to top it off as soon as it's a half-inch down. The problem here is that it's impossible to do this without being at least somewhat intrusive, so when it happens very often it becomes profoundly irritating to the point where it affects my attitude.

Note that I'm not talking about reasonable courtesy in filling an empty glass, but an attempt at "fawning" service that ends up having the opposite of its intended effect.

You need to lower the quality of establishments you frequent. In my case, people have gotten so sick of re-filling my water glass that they've brought me a pitcher of ice water to stop having to fill it! :D
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:04 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Exactly. It's about the intrusiveness and sometimes, it's like I am in an SNL skit or on a hidden camera gag show!

However, with the places I have in mind, one doesn't need to be a professional critic to induce such a practice.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:35 pm

Kale salads.
PreviousNext