Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Most annoying restaurant trend?

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Read this Washington Post story about the most annoying restaurant trend (servers constantly trying to take plates as soon as diners finish) and tell us whether you agree. :mrgreen:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ing-today/
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Most annoying restaurant trend?

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:59 pm

That's an interesting article but I really think that the problems that they pointed out are not an industrywide issue and in some cases may be more market specific.

I don't recall ever having a problem locally where a member of the waitstaff is trying to clear plates from one person in the party before others are finished eating. Also if this occurs I think it's more likely to be a server specific issue instead of an industry trend. Space smaller tables are something you notice occasionally but I think that depends more on the space available to the restaurant than it is to a trend. If it is a trend it's probably because many restaurants are starting to serve smaller portions, not necessarily a bad thing, and they still want the table to look filled with food. Darker restaurants I know are frustrating to many people and if they get too dark they are also frustrating to us but again I think it's restaurant specific and not in industry trend.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:01 pm

I have to add:

*Facebook page instead of a website

*At the risk of violating Godwin's law, water refil Nazi's. I appreciate the effort, but just because the water is a half of an inch from the rim, doesn't mean that they have to top it off every 5 minutes.

*"Do you need change?"
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:29 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:I have to add:

*Facebook page instead of a website

*At the risk of violating Godwin's law, water refil Nazi's. I appreciate the effort, but just because the water is a half of an inch from the rim, doesn't mean that they have to top it off every 5 minutes.

*"Do you need change?"

I certainly agree with your additions Ray. Even worse than using Facebook instead of a webpage is not having the information available that you want. Such things as phone number, address, hours of operation and menu should be available no matter what the online format is. I really like to see menus with prices but normally don't use them to determine where we are dining, it's just nice to see.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Building on that theme, a menu on the website that doesn't include prices.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:23 pm

I find Ray's listing much more accurate as problems than offering to pick up a plate too early. And citing the rules of dining etiquette for when it is proper to pick up an empty plate? Where is he eating...Downton Abbey? Some people actually prefer to have a plate removed after eating rather stare at the dirty dish while others finish.

I would also add -
Cramming too many tables into a dining room limiting maneuverability between parties.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:03 pm

I love the old ways of service.

Silverware is changed out between courses. Leave the plate unless they push it away from themselves or cross the silver. Beverages are replaced halfway down the glass. So on and so forth...

Always silent. And the great captains can do this work without you even noticing or caring. That is the point here- that you come to us to enjoy a meal without a care.

:D
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:28 pm

Hot Chicken.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:58 pm

At the risk of having the wrath of "web site" aficionados brought down on my weary restaurant owners head, I will say once again that websites are not always the answer to some great foodie awaking. I had a website 10 years ago, and it was nothing but trouble. Being not inclined to the intricacies of computer language, ( I know, I should) I found it hard to add, subtract, and generally communicate the daily specials and happenings at the Shady Lane. It did little or nothing to bring business through our doors. Probably wrong company, etc, etc. I understand that. But that said, I have found Facebook to be the perfect tool to reach our customers at anytime, to humanize our interactions, and to add food pics, and keep everybody (almost) informed and engaged in what's up at the Shady Lane. We have not suffered one little bit from our lack of a web page. I know it is of utmost importance to a few of you, but with every other little headache that takes up our time, a web page was just one more straw. Right for some places, Not right for others. So, sorry about the rant. But Facebook serves so many options, and best of all, on a slow day our audience population can be boosted to reach almost any demographic and number of persons we wish. All for a very low investment. Give it a try, you might get used to it. Peace out. Bill.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:12 pm

I think you ignore the web at your own peril. I seriously doubt I'm not the only one who heads to Google rather than Facebook to look for a restaurant's info. My guess is your audience is markedly smaller with just a Facebook approach.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:28 am

I think we've pretty well established that FB is fine to service an already existing customer base but is little use promoting growth. Couple that with the fact that every time I go to a business' FB there is little useful info if I've never been there before. Like hours/days of operation, location.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:17 am

TP Lowe wrote:I think you ignore the web at your own peril. I seriously doubt I'm not the only one who heads to Google rather than Facebook to look for a restaurant's info. My guess is your audience is markedly smaller with just a Facebook approach.

Carla G wrote:I think we've pretty well established that FB is fine to service an already existing customer base but is little use promoting growth. Couple that with the fact that every time I go to a business' FB there is little useful info if I've never been there before. Like hours/days of operation, location.

Google "Mussel and Burger Bar." Tell me what you see. What's the very first result?

MBB's Facebook page. Which has clear helpful information - hours, location, menu, reviews, AND a news feed where the restaurant can share news, specials, etc. Which most websites don't easily have.

There's literally nothing a standalone web site would give MBB that their FB page doesn't do, and there's simply no reason to think they should invest the money in a web site except irrational anti-FB prejudice.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:59 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:There's literally nothing a standalone web site would give MBB that their FB page doesn't do, and there's simply no reason to think they should invest the money in a web site except irrational anti-FB prejudice.

I pretty much agree with this. Actually, a well run web site AND a competent FB page might be ideal ... along with Instagram and Twitter presence. :mrgreen:

But it seems to me that the Web failed a lot of restaurants because "consultants" convinced operators that they needed expensive websites ... but then the consultants didn't do a good job of keeping the menu up to date. It's relatively easy to run your own FB page, and then if it's not up to date, it's on you.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:45 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:I think you ignore the web at your own peril. I seriously doubt I'm not the only one who heads to Google rather than Facebook to look for a restaurant's info. My guess is your audience is markedly smaller with just a Facebook approach.

Carla G wrote:I think we've pretty well established that FB is fine to service an already existing customer base but is little use promoting growth. Couple that with the fact that every time I go to a business' FB there is little useful info if I've never been there before. Like hours/days of operation, location.

Google "Mussel and Burger Bar." Tell me what you see. What's the very first result?

MBB's Facebook page. Which has clear helpful information - hours, location, menu, reviews, AND a news feed where the restaurant can share news, specials, etc. Which most websites don't easily have.

There's literally nothing a standalone web site would give MBB that their FB page doesn't do, and there's simply no reason to think they should invest the money in a web site except irrational anti-FB prejudice.

Yeah! But guess what! None of that was there for the longest time until I called a manager there and pointed it out and also posted here in this forum. (I was trying to book a large party for friends coming into town. FB was no help at all at that time.)

I think many business owners think that because their own business is foremost in their own mind that it is in others as well. They erroneously assume "every body knows us/knows where we are/ knows what we are all about." No one needs an elaborate site. A simple flash page with days/hours of operation, address, phone number, maybe a map. No need to post an ever changing menu or prices, just a brief mention of your focus. - ("best in fresh seafood!") Then add a link to your much beloved FB page.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Our Facebook page covers everything you could possibly get from a web page. Plus links to reviews. And we can respond instantly to any questions or comments... I honestly don't know what the problem is. It would be nice to have all social media covered, but otherwise Facebook does the trick for me.
Next