Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

River House - A Varanese Experience

by Steve H » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Sweetie allowed me to tag along with her to a pre-opening night at River House. Clearly, no expense was spared in the build out. The space is quite spectacular and the patio on the river we be great heading into spring and summer. The highlights are the floor to ceiling windows facing the river and a waterfall wall similar to Varanese.

We were each allowed to chose an appetizer, an entree, and a dessert.

Our appetizers were the cheese selection and a charcuterie of house cured meats. Both were very good, but the details are already lost to the mists of time.

The first entree was bacon wrapped pork tenderloin over pureed butternut squash. The second was shrimp and diver scallops over pasta, with fresh corn, edamame, and a green chilli cream sauce. Both were great. The only quibble was the green chilli flavor was somewhat lacking in the cream sauce. It really didn't detract from the meal as it was still awesome.

The desserts were a chocolate / peanut butter lava cake and a bread pudding, both al la mode and a fine finish for our meal.

I enjoyed two of their "Cardinal Sin" cocktails which is basically a riff on a Manhattan. Delicious! The closest I've had to this flavor is Majid's Tobacco Manhattan. Other than adding wine, I'm sure this will be my drink on my return.

Sweetie tried two of the 'frozen' drinks. The first, a "Blackberry Mojito". This was not a good drink. There was no taste of alcohol and the predominate flavor was ice, which was not even blended smooth. Her second drink was a "Jalapeno on a Steek". I cannot recall any ingredients. It was something of an improvement, even suffering similar issues as the Mojito.

These frozen concoctions are a large part of their cocktail list, so they are clearly meant to be a highlight. Unfortunately, the two we sampled fell short of that goal. One cannot expect perfection straight out of the gate though, so here's hoping they get those improved.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: River House - A Varanese Experience

by Carla G » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Soooo...are they open now? I checked the Face Book page and after a scrolling a few posts found a phone number but no hours of operation. Would really like to include them in some upcoming plans but need info.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Last they read they were going to be opening tomorrow the 29th.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Seem like they are open this week. They have a phone number on their Facebook page for reservations. 502-897-5000

They have a really nice meeting/party room also.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:04 pm

From Louisville BizFirst on Feb 26, 2016, 1:58pm EST

"Chef John Varanese has set an opening date for his new River House Restaurant and Raw Bar.
The riverfront restaurant, on River Road near the Louisville Water Tower, will host a grand opening celebration on Monday, March 7, at 4 p.m. Guests can enjoy a ceremonial champagne christening and toast along with complimentary hors d'oeuvres."
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:01 pm

When John made the announcement about River House, I was thrilled....one of my favorite chef's fulfilling his dream of a venue on the river sharing his favorite foods from his experiences and travels! I was hyped!

Well, my hype was realized this weekend!

No, I am not going to be as some have been past soft openings and post every flaw (yes, there were a couple of minor ones) or detail on the meal....suffice as to say, my party of 4 of Saturday evening, dining in the huge glass enclosed hall were duly impressed with the selections, professionalism, knowledge, and ease of the evening!

I've already made a reservation for a small party of my "wine group" in a couple of weeks to enjoy it all over again!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Did I see a seafood tower on the menu??????
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Adam C wrote:Did I see a seafood tower on the menu??????

My menu did not have it, but my understanding is that the final menu hadn't been finalized before me visit. So, I can't definitively rule it out!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Great restaurant, horrible customers.

I have posted menu pics and comments on my Facebook page.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:44 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Great restaurant, horrible customers.

I have posted menu pics and comments on my Facebook page.

Made me look! :mrgreen: I think I'd probably hate it, too ...
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:50 pm

I made a vine about a tumblr that responds to your comment. Paypal me for details.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:05 pm

Until it is easier and quicker to post unedited pics on this forum, I'll keep my pic posting to Facebook. Look if you want, I really don't care.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Adam C wrote:Did I see a seafood tower on the menu??????

$60 for ass't seafood for two; can order larger towers for more people.

They also have a $70 serving of 1 lb lump crab! (but menu in general is not that expensive, all things considered, and even has sandwiches!)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Susan Mann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:53 pm

by Susan Mann » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:14 am

$70 for a pound of PASTURIZED lump crab (blue?). I know that unpasteurized (meaning, far better taste and texture) is really difficult to obtain on a regular basis, but if Whole Foods in Louisville makes it available periodically, why can't local restaurants at least periodically? Sorry for that tantrum; our short sampling of the food at River House demonstrated that the kitchen pays attention to detail. Excellent brioche buns for sandwiches; colorful, imaginative sauce for shrimp and grits.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:22 pm

We ate there Tuesday and really enjoyed it. I had the scallops as well, yum. I could eat those grits at every meal. My husband had the tuna, which was served raw rare.i like my tuna rare, but seared. Just a matter of taste. We're taking a group next week for DD's birthday. I think once the patio opens,it will be even more of a hit! The Levee next door will have small plates and music. A word of caution...all those empty parking spots at Kingfish are NOT to be used. They are watching, and we saw police over there!