Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Le Gallo Russo -- quick review

by Steve Magruder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:41 pm

Overall grade: B+

Went there within an hour of closing (not my decision) with a group (5 total). It was a recent friday or saturday night.

The place is small, but very adorable in its old world, hole-in-the-wall feel. As the place was packed when we arrived, we were seated in the back room next to the kitchen, although it didn't feel so much like a back room. It was rather comfortable for me.

With our arrival so late, it was understandable that they weren't able to make a particular dish according to its regular recipe, as some ingredients had run out. No biggie.

The restaurant didn't have a liquor license, so we sent off two of our party to go buy two bottles of wine at the liquor store across the street. This felt kind of odd that we needed to do this, but it didn't really spoil the mood.

The salads we got with our meals were very satisfying in general. I really liked the presentation and the homemade dressing. I got a mixed greens salad with balsamic. The greens were delightfully wrapped around with thin cucumber strips so as to create a bowl effect. This was visually stunning (in a good way) to me.

I got the Gorgonzola Fettuccine -- it was divine! The portion size was also rather sizable, so I took the extra home -- and it made super lunch leftovers!

However, my dinner date in the group wasn't as satisfied with his Lasagna. It was served at too low a temperature, although I believe he enjoyed it overall. So, all was not lost.

So, I think Le Gallo Russo is definitely recommendable, especially as they were so friendly and accommodating at such a late hour to our group. And the food was fantastic. But not being able to order drinks and having a dish served cold pulls down the marks. If those issues weren't there, I'd be giving this lovely restaurant an easy A.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Erin Riedel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:14 pm

Germantown

by Erin Riedel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:47 pm

Nice review, Steve. But given the ridiculous mark-up on wine at most restaurants, I consider being able to bring my own a huge plus!
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Erin Riedel wrote:Nice review, Steve. But given the ridiculous mark-up on wine at most restaurants, I consider being able to bring my own a huge plus!

Good point. I guess I just didn't feel comfortable with this being a surprise. If I knew in advance, I would be giving an A- rating.

By the way, Le Gallo Russo is located at 1325 Bardstown Road.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:50 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:I guess I just didn't feel comfortable with this being a surprise. If I knew in advance, I would be giving an A- rating.

Should have checked the LouisvilleHotBytes review or numerous past threads on this forum, such as this one ... ;)
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve Magruder wrote:I guess I just didn't feel comfortable with this being a surprise. If I knew in advance, I would be giving an A- rating.

Should have checked the LouisvilleHotBytes review or numerous past threads on this forum, such as this one ... ;)

Thanks! Your review reminded me of their bread, which was definitely well above average, with olive oil dip of a very high quality.

I didn't get dessert, as I often pass dessert these days.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Le Gallo Russo -- quick review

by Gretchen D. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:07 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:The restaurant didn't have a liquor license, so we sent off two of our party to go buy two bottles of wine at the liquor store across the street.

I didn't know that it was legally permissible to bring alcohol into an establishment that didn't have a liquor license in KY. We visited PA this summer and there were many places that were BYOB and we loved it! I would go to a restaurant more frequently if I could bring my own wine since my husband makes it at home (along with beer). Is it just the restaurants in Louisville that usually do not allow this?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Le Gallo Russo -- quick review

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:17 pm

Gretchen D. wrote:I didn't know that it was legally permissible to bring alcohol into an establishment that didn't have a liquor license in KY. We visited PA this summer and there were many places that were BYOB and we loved it! I would go to a restaurant more frequently if I could bring my own wine since my husband makes it at home (along with beer). Is it just the restaurants in Louisville that usually do not allow this?

It's a sketchy area, and one that it's probably best not to publicize too noisly. ;)

You are correct about the law. Under separate legislation, Kentucky law forbids bringing liquor (including beer or wine) into either licensed premises or unlicensed premises.

The law is easy to enforce in licensed premises: The restaurateur risks suspension or loss of his liquor license for violation.

It's a little less clear to me what penalty applies to a premise without a license, which shouldn't be subject to ABC inspection, but I assume fines are possible.

In practice, it appears that this law is not stringently enforced in Louisville, where one assumes that ABC has more important things to do such as keeping booze out of the hands of 20-year-olds.

If you'll ask discreetly, you *may* find that some of your favorite places will let you BYO as long as you don't make it obvious. Probably a majority, though, will regretfully say no.

Le Gallo Rosso does it more openly than most places do, and I hope nobody steps in to prevent them continuing to do so. I think it's wonderful to be able to bring in a really nice wine from home - one better than you could get on many restaurants' lists - and enjoy it with a good meal. It's a civilized custom, and one that might have been passed in the last legislative session, until THE RESTAURANT INDUSTRY lobbied against it. It seems that some of our local restaurateurs would rather protect their high wine-list markup than build consumer loyalty. But that's another story, and another rant for another day.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Robin. I think maybe you have even told me this before on the old forum (or maybe that was about taking home wine from the restaurant before they changed the law)... if so, I apologize for asking again!!

I think this new information will make a trip to Le Gallo Russo a necessity in the near future.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:27 pm

For our recent trip to Shiraz (Holiday Manor) we called ahead to see they served, or if not, if we could BYOB. After a slight hestitation, we were told we could, "as long as they didn't see it or hear about it". :wink: We decided to stick to sodas, but appreciated their willingness to respond to our request.

Deb
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:45 pm

The restaurateur risks being charged with bootlegging and never being able to hold a license if caught allowing liquor to be brought into an unlicensed premises. I know this because Oldham County was dry when we first opened. Pretty risky if you ask me. Fortunately for Le Gallo Russo, ABC is the only enforcement for this and like Robin said they are pretty busy.
Will Crawford
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Will Crawford wrote:The restaurateur risks being charged with bootlegging and never being able to hold a license if caught allowing liquor to be brought into an unlicensed premises. I know this because Oldham County was dry when we first opened. Pretty risky if you ask me.

I think it probably depends a lot on the county and the local politics, and probably in some places, the ABC man's receptiveness to a small gratuity. ;)
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Robin's right..

by Gary Michael » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:13 am

Lets not publicly "out" the local BYOB spots. Some government bureaucrat might actualy take his job seriously and plumb this site for clues about illegal activity.

I was happy to tell you all about the open air taqueria on Preston last summer, happy to help a small businessman and happy to promote authentic Mexican food. When we were discussing whether or not this guy was certfied by the health dept, someone e-mailed me that he called a friend at the Health Dept and assured me this miscreant would be dealt with. I felt terrible thinking I had inadvertantly shut this guy down! Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Perhaps someone could maintain a list of BYOB spots and only e-mail that list to those of us who are down with the idea.
no avatar
User

Kelly Herre

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:20 pm

Crescent Hill, Louisville

by Kelly Herre » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am

do they have a website--I'd like to see their menu.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 pm

I can't find a website but here is a video segment from dining with Steve
http://www.diningwithsteve.com/videos/legallo.wmv
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:28 pm

Also couldn't find a website, but here's a Louisville Mag article on Le Gallo Rosso
http://www.loumag.com/articledisplay.aspx?id=28515275
Next