Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Le Gallo Russo -- quick review

by Mark R. » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Realistically, no, but a public outing and perhaps shunning by foodies might work if it's a competitor.

Definitely a very realistic approach (not to mention Legal)
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:45 am

I think that even if you put on your reporter's hat and file an open records request to see the original complaint paperwork, the name of the complaintant will be redacted. But maybe not . . .
no avatar
User

Kevin Graves

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Louisville, KY

by Kevin Graves » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:44 pm

Great idea on the wine list Robin. Regarding the support, I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm going to trek over there sometime in the next week to show my love for the Rooster.

I think the food at Gallo Rosso is very good, but maybe I lack a little perspective here as I have only eaten at Gallo Rosso, Ferd Grisanti's, Primo, and two chains, the Martini Bistro and the Macaroni Grill.

Everybody we have taken to Gallo Rosso loves it. Although some of the people we have taken were not wowed by the spaghetti and meatballs (not enough cheese in the meatball and so forth), everybody loves the gorgonzola fettucine (my favorite) and their tiramisu is one of the best desserts in the city. Moreover, the bread and salads are very good and free of charge. Although I will not be able to bring my own bottle of wine to the rooster anymore, Le Gallo Rosso will remain one of my favorite restaurants.
Kevin J. Graves
no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

by Broc Smith » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:31 pm

I agree. Support is in order. I ate lasagna left-overs twice the day after my last visit. I feel bad to see the little guy get picked on.

I'll eat there again soon...
no avatar
User

Mikey O

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:38 pm

by Mikey O » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 pm

I dined on their lasagna last night, and today, and maybe tomorrow...
There was a nice crowd, hopefully some in support and some just to experience the Rooster on a Sat. night.
The food and ambiance are great, hopefully this license thing can be recitfied soon...

and they all lived happily ever after...
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:13 pm

I find myself typically agreeing with Ron Johnson, and his thoughts regarding the food at Le Gallo Russo were no exception.
Quaint, yes.
Enthusiastic service, yes.
Large portions, yes.
Reasonable prices, yes.
Better than mediocre Italian food... regretfully, no.

I too, REALLY wanted to like this place in that it's within easy walking distance from my house and when I entered the building it reminded me of so many of the quality neighborhood Italian places that I love in NYC.
But, alas, the pasta was overcooked, the sauce was bland and the finish-baking-at-home-Kroger-bread was disappointing.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:04 pm

John Lisherness wrote:But, alas, the pasta was overcooked, the sauce was bland and the finish-baking-at-home-Kroger-bread was disappointing.

For what it's worth, my review, and, as I recall, Marty's review in the CJ, were both more generous than that. I probably wouldn't rate it quite as high as Melillo's, but I certainly can't concur in the kind of comments either of you make. Note that I'm not questioning your judgment, but the disparity is sufficient to make me wonder if Gallo Rosso has more than one cook.
no avatar
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Robin Garr wrote: Note that I'm not questioning your judgment, but the disparity is sufficient to make me wonder if Gallo Rosso has more than one cook.

I know they have more then one microwave....

I also wanted to really like the place. One of the best perks, as many have stated on here, was the BYOB. The portions were very big, price reasonable, friendly service, but taste left a little to be desired. It was like it was lacking love and passion in the final product. We still go every once in a while. I guess I really need to try Mellilo's before I get out of here so that I can make a comparison.

Prost!
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Unfortunately, our one trip to Le Gallo Rosso was very similar to Ron's even though I also really wanted to love this place. Several of the dishes were very good, but several (including the much recommended Fettucine Gorgonzola) were disappointing. The lasagne was good- but could use additional seasoning for our tastes- and the portion was very large. Their Italian Creme Cake is very good, but the the food has no comparison with Mellilo's. We'll give it another try sometime after the weather warms up: eating on their lttle patio would be our kind of place.

Deb
no avatar
User

MichelleJ

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:47 am

Highlands

by MichelleJ » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:45 am

It's funny that I've really enjoyed the food at Le Gallo Rosso but never had anything better than mediocre service. We enjoyed dining outside in the courtyard so much we just kind of ignored the generally uninterested servers. So I guess we're all saying that consistency is an issue...
Consuming Louisville
very good things to do, buy & eat in the River City

http://www.consuminglouisville.com
Previous