Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Zi Olive

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Zi Olive

by Tony G » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:27 am

Anyone ever visited this store? The wife and I went to the Westport Village store. I was AMAZED at what they have there. We picked up two bottles to try. I thought we were buying good olive oil in the past. Oh no! The oil there just seems so much better. You can taste test anything in the store. This is the ONLY place we will get our olive oil now.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Zi Olive

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:21 pm

I've been meaning to get by there like forever! The owner, Bill Gaar, seems like a great guy on Email. We talked a bit about olives and family - we're likely related, since some branches of the family spelled it Garr and others Gaar back in the 1700s and early 1800s, but we're all kin. :mrgreen: He's definitely passionate about olives and olive oil, though, and sight unseen, it's be surprised if his wares aren't fine.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:38 pm

I've been in there quite a few times. People running it are nice and very helpful. Could be I'm just trying to make myself feel better, but their olive oil really does seem to be a cut above, though it is pricey. I use their citrus habanero olive oil for everything from meats to fish. They also have an incredibly good marinara in there, though I can't remember the name of it.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:51 am

It's a fun store. Reminds me very much of one I visited in Switzerland about ten years ago, and became convinced I should come home and open one. Thought Louisville was just too small to support such a narrowly focused store. Wrong!
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:38 am

These kind of stores are popping up all over in various cites. I love visiting them and getting cooking ideas. Also love the vinegar varieties they often offer.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

PeteOsborne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 pm

by PeteOsborne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:50 am

We love the place, and spend quite a bit each time we go in there. As a side benefit, my kids (ages 11,9, 7 and 7) have greatly reduced the amount of ranch dressing that they eat now that they have been introduced to quality balsamic vinegar. They love the various flavors. The fact that I can get them to eat a wider variety and larger of vegetables is worth every penny I spend in there.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:06 am

TP Lowe wrote:It's a fun store. Reminds me very much of one I visited in Switzerland about ten years ago, and became convinced I should come home and open one. Thought Louisville was just too small to support such a narrowly focused store. Wrong!

There are actually two in town. Primo is the other.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:19 am

Brown County Indiana (Nashville, In.) has one as well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson