Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Papa Johns

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Papa Johns

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:46 am

I have to admit that if we want pizza, I tend to make it or we get it from a local place, but I think I will try Papa Johns again given the following:

Papa John’s already has eliminated artificial flavors, synthetic colors, MSG, BHA, BHT, cellulose and partially hydrogenated oils from its foods. By summer, it plans to buy only poultry raised without human and animal antibiotics and feed a 100 percent vegetarian diet (from a PR placement on Insider)
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Papa Johns

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:44 am

This seems strangely out of synch with his entire ethos as I understand it. Mark me in the "skeptical" column until there's a declaration that this effort is complete, with clear, transparent accountability.

I also wonder how much his core clientele even cares about that sort of thing. The whole schmear just doesn't have a clear, bell-like ring in my ears.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:50 am

I only dispute the idea that chickens aren't supposed to eat bugs.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:29 pm

Robin Garr wrote:This seems strangely out of synch with his entire ethos as I understand it. Mark me in the "skeptical" column until there's a declaration that this effort is complete, with clear, transparent accountability.

I also wonder how much his core clientele even cares about that sort of thing. The whole schmear just doesn't have a clear, bell-like ring in my ears.

While on one hand I don't disagree, on the other each of the main companies has a positioning (e.g.: Caesar's is cheapest, Domino's is Delivery) and Papa John's was always "better ingredients." I think with today's publicity and concerns they have to deliver against that positioning . . . I did some work for them at one time, and they always did use "real" cheese and tomatoes, and did tend to spend more than competitors for ingredients; now it just appears that they have to go the rest of the way.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:36 pm

They can make all the changes and claims they want about the ingredients they use the pizza but I'm still not going to buy it till it starts tasting good! They also need to change in their crust because what they use that was more like cardboard than it is crust.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Steve H wrote:I only dispute the idea that chickens aren't supposed to eat bugs.

Chickens are omnivores. These veggie birds must be kept in air tight boxes or something. :roll:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Maybe THIS is why he can't afford to pay his employees a living wage or provide health benefits... :shock:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:55 pm

I saw the other day in a Business 1st article that Papa John's had appointed a new CIO but they've changed the definition of CIO a little bit because instead of standing for a Chief Information Officer like it does in most companies, and their company it stands for Chief Ingredient Officer! Sure sounds impressive but.....
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:28 pm

I applaud the effort of a national chain to keep the ingredients more basic and eliminate certain unnecessary things. I had noticed that they eliminated partially hydrogenated soybean oil from the garlic sauce. I was reading their ingredients pages and saw that the cookies and brownies use margarine and shortening which made me wonder if this means they intend to change those as well.

Regarding the crust, I would say that it has been better recently than it was in the past, but I don't know whether they made a recent change or not. As for my tastes, I find Papa John's crust and pizza sauce to be too sugary.
no avatar
User

joseph.saylor

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by joseph.saylor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:34 am

I happen to like Papa John's just fine and make no apologies about it. It's not a brand I eat as often or like as much as ZAs for example, but I do like it about once a month or every couple months. I've always had good interactions with the Highlands location and staff. That said I figured as soon as I saw this post some would start the chain bashing thing despite the fact that if a local place said they were doing this there would be a parade. Sorry that's one of the things that really irks me is how so many "foodies" will shout to the rooftop "local only" and rip any chain no matter what despite the fact the "evil chain" is providing many local jobs.

I also would like to respond to the comment about low pay and no benefits. If you feel that way then you should be really upset with some of the local establishments that pay minimum wage, no benefits and very few raises. I know for a fact one of them that is one of the most popular in Louisville and has very high turnover due to this. Yet also has the most expensive pizza in Louisville. Figure that one out.

Fair is fair, I have no problem with anyone who says "hey you know what, I just don't really like their pizza". If that's you then you won't take offense to my comments hopefully. However it's something else to just bash a product just to come off as "knowledgeable" or "cool". It's not just in this forum either, this attitude is very prevalent around here. I don't care if something is local or chain. You provide a service I want, great price, great customer service and quality then I'm a customer.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:04 am

To my taste this is very mediocre pizza. The sauce is too sweet and the crust strikes me as dry. It's just not to my personal taste and to each their own. That said, I also think Mr. Schnatter's membership in the Koch brothers billionaire club that contributes untraceable "dark money" to political campaigns will keep me from ever touching one of his products.http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/02/koch-brothers-palm-springs-donor-list Just my personal opinion.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:36 am

Jon has expressed my views so well that there's not much point in repeating them. I find Papa an unpleasant person with horrifying political views, AND I think I can separate that from finding his pizza "mediocre" on its own merits. Like the Gannett Corp. of pizza, his product is lackluster because he places the highest priority on short-term profits, sacrificing quality wherever necessary to attain that goal.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:41 am

Jon K wrote:To my taste this is very mediocre pizza. The sauce is too sweet and the crust strikes me as dry. It's just not to my personal taste and to each their own. That said, I also think Mr. Schnatter's membership in the Koch brothers billionaire club that contributes untraceable "dark money" to political campaigns will keep me from ever touching one of his products.http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/02/koch-brothers-palm-springs-donor-list Just my personal opinion.

+1
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:18 pm

Sometimes people in my office get Papa John's. The sauce really is way too sweet for me. They usually get it with pineapples, too, which compounds the problem. My mouth is getting dry just thinking about it.
no avatar
User

Derrick Dones

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:02 am

by Derrick Dones » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:22 pm

I partially agree with Robin and Jon. I prefer most locals over PJ's for various reasons...including tatste. I do find Papa John's to be the most servicable amongst other chains that I've tried: Little Ceasar's, Pizza Hut, etc.

However, doesn't this: "Papa John’s already has eliminated artificial flavors, synthetic colors, MSG, BHA, BHT, cellulose and partially hydrogenated oils from its foods. By summer, it plans to buy only poultry raised without human and animal antibiotics and feed a 100 percent vegetarian diet (from a PR placement on Insider)" somewhat contradict this: "he places the highest priority on short-term profits, sacrificing quality wherever necessary to attain that goal."

How many locals, that frequently receive blind praise simply for being local, are doing the same (eliminated artificial flavors, synthetic colors, MSG, BHA, BHT, cellulose and partially hydrogenated oils from its foods. By summer, it plans to buy only poultry raised without human and animal antibiotics)?

DD
Next