Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ's Smoketown USA Review

no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

CJ's Smoketown USA Review

by Ron H » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:12 am

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/entertainment/dining/restaurant/2016/02/24/review-smoketown-usa-bbq-joint-above-rest/80190888/

I really don't get how this lady grades places. I mean, I'm not trying to slight Smoketown--I'm a big fan of Smoketown and of its owner, who I think is just a treat--but I'm not sure how a place like that gets a pass on décor while other places have been dinged as much for their look as their food. Other, smarter people than myself: is there a consistent way she's reviewing places? Or is it a little less about the food or décor and more about her particular mood on her visits?
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: CJ's Smoketown USA Review

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:31 am

Ron H wrote:Other, smarter people than myself: is there a consistent way she's reviewing places? Or is it a little less about the food or décor and more about her particular mood on her visits?

I'm not sure that there IS a pattern, Ron. The only one I've seen - and I admit this is colored by snark, though I believe it to be true - is that any chef she has featured in her book or worked with in PR is probably going to get an easy ride.

I'll go on to add my usual meme about the Binghams, father and son, whirling in their graves at the elevation of a restaurant PR person to the restaurant critic's post. During their realm, the food critic had to be a full-time reporter on the newspapers' staff. That's probably the only reason I got the job in 1984. :oops:
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:and I admit this is colored by snark,

Robin, your snark has been well-documented!! :P :P :P
BShep
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:39 am

Bryan Shepherd wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:and I admit this is colored by snark,

Robin, your snark has been well-documented!! :P :P :P

Fair enough, but at least I'm honest about it. And can argue it from a basis of real-world experience. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:00 pm

The place received pretty mixed reviews on this forum a year or two back. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried it more recently and if it holds up to the CJ review. I only eat such fare once or twice a year, wondering if it's worth the trip.
no avatar
User

Jimmy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:07 pm

Germantown

by Jimmy R » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:36 am

We live nearby and get carryout from Eric quite often. I think I've tried everything on the menu, and I like it all. The sides are excellent. The space is a bit campy and fun. Good local spot, well worth a visit.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:48 pm

I agree with Jimmy, that place is a local treasure and it will never be a chain, there's only one Eric..