Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

BDKollker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:38 pm

Outside the Box Nashvegas

by BDKollker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:40 pm

Kurt R. wrote:Corbett's may possibly be one of the best restaurant in the nation.

...are you serious?
they've been open for less than a month now.
shouldn't you let the place be open at least that long before you make such bold statements?

what a smack in the face to these chef's who's restaurants have been previously dubbed: 'the best in the nation'

Charlie Trotter's
The French Laundry, Per Se
Alinea
Restaurant Daniel
Jean Georges
Le Bernardin

all these restaurants also made Restaurant Magazine's Top 50 Restaurants in the World.
Blake Kollker

Blakekollker.com
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:41 pm

"May become" would have been more accurate.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:44 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:...my pick for Best Chef South East:

Sean Brock of McGrady's Restaurant in Charleston, SC

Sean Brock's Bio

Sean Brock's blog: Ping Island Strike

McGrady's Restaurant website

Sean Brock and staff are creating some of (if not) the best food in the South East. Quite frankly, I'd put only two of the previously mentioned chefs in a category anywhere close to this guy and his crew.
I'll venture as far to say that the food coming out of the McGrady's kitchen is arguably the most innovative and refined food in the region.
Not to mention the food these guys cook in a single kitchen pays more respect to the ingredients used than half the restaurants in Louisville combined. (read his blog).
Just read the link Ethan (thanks).Dude is bad-ass!! I'm 40 (ish) and am humbled by him....back to my cardboard box....
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

NWalker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:32 am

Louisville KY

by NWalker » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:38 am

Mr. Ray,

All bullets. Nice.

Nicole
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: and back onto my pulpit...

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:56 am

Ethan Ray wrote:I've been trying to keep my mouth shut for a while on this; but this has gotta a little off track

With all due respect to these chefs:

You guys truly fail to see the big picture here.
This list started out to look like a 'Best of Louisville' list
I'm not saying the chef's listed are not accomplished chefs in their own right, or cook horrible food... that's not what i'm trying to convey.

but can you guys honestly say that all of these chefs are cooking the best food or 'have set new or consistent standards of excellence' in Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia?

seriously people.
there's a ton of chef's in this region who can cook circles better or equally around this list.

Putting some of these chefs on the list is like making a powder puff
football team and pitting them against NFL allstars.

Since apparently I'm the only person in the industry who has the gall to stand up and nominate his peers (and i encourage others to at least give some quality input), then so be it:

...my sermon concludes. (for the time being)

Easy trigger.

Robin specifically asked this:

Here's your chance to have your say: Which Louisville chefs - both established chefs and rising young stars - ought to win consideration for this accolade on their own merits

So, people posted those Louisville Chefs they thought ought to win accolades on their own merits.

We weren't given, nor asked to find out, the specific criteria used by the Beard House. We were asked who we thought was best in town. That would, by definition, end up looking like a "Best of Louisville" list.

Robin did not ask us to name "chefs are cooking the best food or 'have set new or consistent standards of excellence' in Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia?"

Ok?
User

Krista K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:21 am

downtown, louisville, ky, usa

by Krista K » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:48 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:
It's amazing how a PR machine can throw you into the spotlight, and get you in for all kinds of awards.
Point in case: Proof on Main.
I literally couldn't open a publicly circulated, or a business-trade food mag for 6-9 months without seeing a multi-page feature on Proof.

Myriad dollars at work my friends.

Ethan,
Two questions:

1) Are you aware that Proof has not been affiliated with Myriad for quite some time now?

2) Have you dined at Proof?

disclaimer- i am a proof employee and just get a little annoyed when i see all of the accolades that my chef and his staff have worked so hard to earn chalked up to 'pr money.'
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:55 pm

krista k wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:
It's amazing how a PR machine can throw you into the spotlight, and get you in for all kinds of awards.
Point in case: Proof on Main.
I literally couldn't open a publicly circulated, or a business-trade food mag for 6-9 months without seeing a multi-page feature on Proof.

Myriad dollars at work my friends.

Ethan,
Two questions:

1) Are you aware that Proof has not been affiliated with Myriad for quite some time now?

disclaimer- i am a proof employee and just get a little annoyed when i see all of the accolades that my chef and his staff have worked so hard to earn chalked up to 'pr money.'

Krista, it pisses me off too. It would be one thing if the food at Proof sucked, but it is consistently turning out some of the best food in town. It ain't a PR machine cooking that food, it's Michael Paley.
User

Krista K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Krista K » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:
Krista, it pisses me off too. It would be one thing if the food at Proof sucked, but it is consistently turning out some of the best food in town. It ain't a PR machine cooking that food, it's Michael Paley.

Thanks, Ron! I also find it interesting that people write us off sometimes as being some kind of 'chain' or corporate restaurant when Proof and 21C are both owned and run by a local couple who are completely dedicated to this community and it's future.
Isn't the Seelbach a Hilton hotel? [/i]
User

Krista K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Krista K » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:

Thanks, Ron! I also find it interesting that people write us off sometimes as being some kind of 'chain' or corporate restaurant when Proof and 21C are both owned and run by a local couple who are completely dedicated to this community and it's future.
Isn't the Seelbach a Hilton hotel?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:18 pm

krista k wrote:Isn't the Seelbach a Hilton hotel?

Check. I imagine Hilton drops a few dimes annually on P.R.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Check. I imagine Hilton drops a few dimes annually on P.R.

Both Proof and the Seelbach use local PR firms, I believe.

My main issue with local restaurant PR is not with the restaurants or the chefs, and I don't think anyone here has suggested that Todd, Michael and the other great chefs at both places are anything but awe-inspiring.

As an editor/journalist, though, I get a lot of PR material from these and other local sources, and frankly, it tends to be embarrassing: Full of errors in fact and grammar at worst, overwritten at best. I really feel bad when I think about national sources like Beard House getting this kind of public-relations material and thinking it's typical of Louisville.

It also concerns me because most of these PR agencies aren't doing volunteer work. They're persuading our local restaurant operators to put out money they can hardly afford for a service that they could perform more effectively on their own.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:57 pm

Exorbitant sums. Yuck.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:48 pm

to address all matters:

Ron Johnson wrote:
Easy trigger.

Robin specifically asked this:

Here's your chance to have your say: Which Louisville chefs - both established chefs and rising young stars - ought to win consideration for this accolade on their own merits

So, people posted those Louisville Chefs they thought ought to win accolades on their own merits.

We weren't given, nor asked to find out, the specific criteria used by the Beard House. We were asked who we thought was best in town. That would, by definition, end up looking like a "Best of Louisville" list.

Robin did not ask us to name "chefs are cooking the best food or 'have set new or consistent standards of excellence' in Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia?"

Ok?

my reasoning for pointing this out was because these details of criteia were left out.
All i was trying to get at: (for starters) 4 of these chefs are ineligible based upon this criteria (which it appears everyone here was naive of), and which should have been provided.
Secondly: I have the utmost respect for the chefs listed and think they all do arguably some of the finest food in Louisville. Being in the Top 10 in Louisville does not neccesarily make you a front runner for 'Best Chef South East' considering the mass number of quality restaurants in this 6 state region. Which was part of my rationale to isolate this list to our absolute best chefs, and my powderpuff football reference.

A number of these chefs simply don't cook at the top 1% of chefs in the 'south east' region (as a whole), hence having to look at the bigger picture.
Sure these chefs are more than a given to make a top 10 Louisville chefs list, but is it wrong to be honest enough to suggest that some of these chefs may not even be considered in the top 25 or top 50 chefs in this region?

krista k wrote:Ethan,
Two questions:

1) Yes, i am fully aware that Proof is no long affliliated with the Myrad Restauant Group. That said, I know 3 former members of (opening) management who when i've brought up the topic have affirmed the fact that: yes, while being a fine restaurant in it's own right; it's birthing connections to the Myriad name (and it's PR efforts) propelled the reputation and of the restaurant and put it into the public's eye moreso than if they were not affliaed with the Myriad Group.

2) I have dined at Proof, and enjoyed my meal. Though i'm not entirely sure how this matters since i never once mentioned Proof serving bad food, only mentioned that i believe a lot of the hype associated with the restuarant (especially at opening) was very much PR driven.
Chef Michael Paley and staff are very much on target with preparing exceptional cuisine, and can find little to say bad about the food or the restaurant in general.

disclaimer - i have several friends/colleagues who are presently employed or past employed by Proof. I don't refute how much the staff deserves all their accolades.

Krista- i think you and i have had enough (sometimes brief) conversations regarding food and 'the business' to know where i stand on certain aspects of my ideals, and i would have hoped wouldn't have read in between the lines to see my prior editorial to be see as an attack on Proof's reputation or accolades.
Again, mearly stating my opinion that i believe PR dollars spent in the restaurants early months put them onto the media's radar. You still have to do it right to get the recognition - which the staff at Proof has.

No one can buy accolades, but you can buy the exposure that gets you noticed enough to be considered for, and in turn (hopefully) receive those accolades (which i think Robin touched on ever so slightly).

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ron, i never said the food at Proof sucked.
and no, it's not the PR machine cooking that food. It's an entire kitchen staff.

Ron Johnson wrote:
krista k wrote:Isn't the Seelbach a Hilton hotel?

Check. I imagine Hilton drops a few dimes annually on P.R.

The Seelbach is not owned by Hilton.
the owners of the building/business quite literally 'buy' licensing rights to use the Hilton name, and all it's branding rights.
With this there are certain 'Hilton Standards' the hotel must maintain in order to keep the Hilton brand on the name.

The hotel is operated (and now co-owned) by Interstate Hotels and Resorts.

Hilton doesn't drop a direct dime into the Seelbach's PR, beyond it's own branding advertising, of which the Seelbach is listed as a Hilton-branded hotel. Hilton does not own a part of the building or business.

The hotel's PR is handled by Bisig Impact Group, which as Robin pointed out earlier firm.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:to address all matters:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ron, i never said the food at Proof sucked.

I never said you did. I never said anyone did. I am not sure why you think I attributed such a statement to you. If you think I did, please show me where, and I will edit the post.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:Check. I imagine Hilton drops a few dimes annually on P.R.

As an editor/journalist, though, I get a lot of PR material from these and other local sources, and frankly, it tends to be embarrassing: Full of errors in fact and grammar at worst, overwritten at best. I really feel bad when I think about national sources like Beard House getting this kind of public-relations material and thinking it's typical of Louisville.

I agree with this. It is almost always embarrassingly hyperbolic.
Previous