Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Epic Sammich closing

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Epic Sammich closing

by Richard S. » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:28 am

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Epic Sammich closing

by SilvioM » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:40 pm

I think I went twice -- the food was pretty good, just not the kind of fare that I eat that often. I agree that the tucked-away location gets "forgotten" easily, which is why I never made it to the bagel shop that used to be there.
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:37 pm

Location is such a weird intangible when it comes to the success or failure of restaurants. Bad restaurants in good locations do better than you'd expect, good restaurants in bad locations often fail, but it also seems like a really good restaurant can often overcome a bad location and create its own draw.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:40 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:... good restaurants in bad locations often fail, but it also seems like a really good restaurant can often overcome a bad location and create its own draw.

I agree with that mostly, but the demise of Relish, an extremely good restaurant in a not-so-good location, suggests that an awful location choice can harpoon even an outstanding eatery.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:51 pm

I think Fernando Martinez could open a restaurant in a secret location and people would find it..
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:13 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I agree with that mostly, but the demise of Relish, an extremely good restaurant in a not-so-good location, suggests that an awful location choice can harpoon even an outstanding eatery.

That's the 1st restaurant that came to mind when I read that statement. I'm really not quite sure why it didn't succeed. Maybe it was location, but it was it's size, maybe management. No matter what the case it's a restaurant we certainly miss and enjoyed going to.
Madeline Peters wrote:I think Fernando Martinez could open a restaurant in a secret location and people would find It..

Very True! You guys could probably do the same thing.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:17 pm

I think the perfect example of a restaurant that is in a bad and non visible location is The Cafe. Just left there today. Place was packed at lunch time and had a fifteen minute wait.

Food was excellent as usual. Servers are very well chosen and obviously well trained. Even the bussers are polite and efficient. Portions large. Lunch and breakfast only.

Of course the owners are veterans, Sal and Cindy Rubino. Excellent looking interior. But there is no way that you would drive down the street and say this is a place to stop.

..... The same could have been said about one of the most iconic places in Louisville .... Casa Grisantis. ...
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:06 pm

Mussel & Burger Bar has to be in one of the worse locations tucked back out of view off of Taylorsville Rd. Also, Vietnam Kitchen located in the back end of Iroquois Plaza. Both have been very successful.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Agreed, but those are simply outstanding restaurants. I would suspect that food in the good-not-great category (a large grouping, I'd say) needs some intangibles, and a bit of luck, to make ends meet financially.