Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Cary, Lee are James Beard Finalists again ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:54 pm

For "Best Chef Southeast." This should hit the news media shortly ...
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Cary, Lee are James Beard Finalists again ...

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:57 pm

Here's the complete list of all semifinalists in all categories:

http://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/2016-jbf ... -154723429
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:25 am

I don't want to start anything, but I simply have to ask about Chef Lee... A few years ago a date took me to 610 Magnolia for Valentine's day. They had a 3-4 course prix fixe menu for about $100 per person. Everything was completely underwhelming and some of it was not at all appetizing. The ingredients looked fresh, but the flavors just weren't there. I had such high expectations - I'm a HUGE Top Chef fan and was so proud of Ed Lee. And I can't imagine that his ventures would be as popular as they are. Did we just go at a bad time? Has anyone else had a "meh" experience? Was it just a bad night?

I do have to say, our server noticed that we weren't finishing anything and didn't ask for take-home boxes, and I was honest about the food. She didn't react as if she were surprised and comped us half the meal even though we said it wasn't necessary, which was very kind.

Joni
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Joni, it's been a couple of years since I last dined at 610. Can't afford to do it often! I do think Chef Lee has awesome skills and can really rock it. He does travel a lot, so it's hard to know if he's in the kitchen at any given time, but I would hope that he gets the importance of leaving a top-rank team running things when he's away. His success at MilkWood suggests that he's learned that lesson. We won't talk about the short-lived Potstickers, where it appeared that he turned a crew loose to represent him in a small, fast-food operation and things didn't go so well.

I'm one of the Beard judges for this region and have been for quite a few years, and I don't think it's wrong for me to reveal that my top picks this year did not include Lee or Cary; not that I don't love them, but my instructions were to look for what was new and exciting in Louisville, not so much the old-timers, even the good ones. I hope they move forward, but it seems to me that we've been here before with the same candidates; I'd like an opportunity to see our city show the nationwise Beard panel some of the other great stuff that's going on here.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:35 pm

By the way, when I posted the other day, I scanned the long list quickly for "Louisville" and came up with Lee and Cary.

It should be noted also that, within Kentucky, Chef Ouita Michel of Midway (Holly Hill Inn in Midway and about a half-dozen others around Midway and Lexington) also made the cut for Best Chef Southeast; and in the Outstanding Wine, Beer or Spirits Professional category, we have Harlen Wheatley of Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, and Drew Kulsveen of Willett Distillery in Bardstown.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks for the comments (and education) as always, Robin! I'd love to buy you and Mrs. Garr a glass of wine sometime and talk food! :)
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:19 am

I have been to Holly Hill a couple of times and don't think it really reflects Ms. Michel's talents. To the point Robin makes earlier, maybe she hasn't been in the kitchen when I've been there.

Would love it if Ms. Cary gets the nod this year. Too many head fakes over the years for her.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:34 am

Joni Lemke wrote:I don't want to start anything, but I simply have to ask about Chef Lee... A few years ago a date took me to 610 Magnolia for Valentine's day. They had a 3-4 course prix fixe menu for about $100 per person. Everything was completely underwhelming and some of it was not at all appetizing. The ingredients looked fresh, but the flavors just weren't there. I had such high expectations - I'm a HUGE Top Chef fan and was so proud of Ed Lee. And I can't imagine that his ventures would be as popular as they are. Did we just go at a bad time? Has anyone else had a "meh" experience? Was it just a bad night?

I do have to say, our server noticed that we weren't finishing anything and didn't ask for take-home boxes, and I was honest about the food. She didn't react as if she were surprised and comped us half the meal even though we said it wasn't necessary, which was very kind.

Joni

Purely personal opinion here, but Milkwood has become better than 610 Magnolia, IMO. Dined at both within the last month or so, and my wife and I definitely enjoyed the food more at the former. 610 knocked my socks off many years ago, but for >$400 for 2 (full menu + full wine pairing + tip), it's really not a contest. Service is absolutely impeccable at 610, though. Don't get me wrong, it's still way better than most anything else in Louisville, but it really isn't still at the peak it was. It's entirely possible we had a bad night, though. Like Robin, I can't really afford to eat there often enough to make a good judgment.

Milkwood we've eaten at perhaps 5 or 6 times in the last 3 months, and every dish except one (just a matter of personal preference, not execution) were really top notch.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:42 pm

Edward Lee had a fantastic response to the nomination on his Facebook page.

'Every year around this time, The James Beard Foundation nominations are released to the public and, as thrilled as I am to see my name on that list, I can’t help but feel a collective disappointment over the fact that the culinary talent in Louisville is by and large ignored. To the esteemed colleagues of The James Beard Foundation, may I say that what is happening right now in Louisville, KY is a culinary force to be reckoned with. The chefs in this town are deserving of the nation’s attention and respect. Chefs like Annie Pettry, Bobby Benjamin, Ryan Rogers, Mike Wajda, Coby Ming, Patrick Roney, Kevin Ashworth, Glenn Dougan, Fernando Martinez, Michael James Crouch, Dave Truong, Andy Myers, Andrew Arvin McCabe, Joe Banet, Nick Sullivan, Adam Burress, Eric Morris, Jay Denham, John Varanese, Josh Lehman and many many more. All of us owe a debt to veteran chefs like Dean Corbett, Anthony Lamas, Shawn Ward, Peng Looi, Eddie Garber and others who created a culinary landscape for the next generations to thrive. And not to overlook the exciting things happening in Lexington with chefs like Mark Richardson, Jeremy Ashby, etc.

I am proud to be a part of this community and I will make it my mission to shout it out to the rest of the world. But first, we must remember that we are community. And there is a responsibility in all of us to ask what we can do better. From food journalists to chefs, managers, sommeliers, investors, PR agents, farmers and most importantly to our customers who are the backbone of this industry, we all owe it to each other to push boundaries, improve upon what we do and strive towards excellence, not just good enough. Let’s be honest with ourselves: there is a tidal wave of passionate and talented culinary professionals that are rising up all over the South. If we are to remain competitive and noteworthy, we must stand shoulder to shoulder with the very best of the best, not just with our neighbors. True civic pride rests in the knowledge that we rise up to our challenges and succeed. No excuses, no whining.

There is not a single nomination, award or accolade that can validate a restaurant. It is our customers that validate us, plain and simple. Everyday. They are the ones that decide our success or failure. And they are the ones who can push us beyond our comfort zones. They can and should demand more from us, make us better and keep us honest. And we in turn should give more, risk more, educate better, set higher standards and cook without inhibitions. If we truly want to see Louisville on a stage before the world, we need each other. I love this town more than any other place. As a culinary community, we are poised for greatness, and whenever we rise, we rise together.'
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:42 am

Classy commentary.