Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Must eat a

no avatar
User

Jay L

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:45 am

Must eat a

by Jay L » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:34 am

Hello. I have been asked to supply a list of must try not too pricey Louisville restaurants for someone visiting here for a week. I've never met this person but do know they want local mom and pop.

Im sure this request has been addressed many different times on here but failed to come up with much by searching. Any help would be appreciated.

Jay Lesnak
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: Must eat a

by JustinHammond » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:47 am

jay.lesnak wrote:Hello. I have been asked to supply a list of must try not too pricey Louisville restaurants for someone visiting here for a week. I've never met this person but do know they want local mom and pop.

Im sure this request has been addressed many different times on here but failed to come up with much by searching. Any help would be appreciated.

Jay Lesnak

Coal's - Pizza
Nam Nam - Vietnamese
Simply Thai - Thai
Mojito - Spanish
Guaca Mole - Mexican
Artesano - Spanish
Doc Crows - BBQ
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:24 pm

Mussels and Burger Bar (Taylorsville Rd nearing J-Town)
Selena's ( Hwy 146 Or LaGrange Rd in Anchorage)
Mayan Cafe (Newlou?)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Local Mom and Pop? Shady Lane Cafe, 4806 Brownsboro Rd, at the intersection of the Watterson Expressway and Brownsboro Rd. Best burger, Reuben, cakes and pies in town.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Michele Brinke

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:34 am

Louisville

by Michele Brinke » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:40 pm

There are much better mom and pop bbq spots then Doc Crows. Just my opinion tho
Michele Brinke
The Children's Pantry
502-290-4584
http://www.thechildrenspantry.com
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:57 am

If they are up for a twenty minute drive Science Hill Inn is a wonderful lunch spot- and The shopping is fun. Chef Ellen never disappoints.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:49 am

GaryF wrote:If they are up for a twenty minute drive Science Hill Inn is a wonderful lunch spot- and The shopping is fun. Chef Ellen never disappoints.

This made me think, "Oh yeah! Do that! What a good idea!"

(Shrugs) I guess it all depends on what kind of experience they are looking for. Independent, mom/pop places are plentiful, but what else do they want to experience? What feeling, what atmosphere? Or do they just want to "fuel up"?

Which leads me to ponder how dining itself has morphed into such a life experience. Ah well..
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:32 pm

Much as I admire Fernando's empire, I'm going with El Mundo for local Mexican. Although El Molcajete in the South End would do. And I'll go with Vietnam Kitchen over NamNam.

We've had good recent experiences with North End Cafe (Frankfort Avenue) for brunch.

And if you really want "Mom and Pop" for pizza (it's everywhere!) I'd choose Danny Mac's.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:25 pm

JustinHammond wrote:

Doc Crows - BBQ

Wow - to each their own I suppose. Personally D.C. wouldn't even make my top 10 list of -just- BBQ joints in town. I've always attributed their success to "location-location-location". That being said it -is- a great place to "people watch" in the hour or so leading up to whatever country music concert is playing at the YUM :wink:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Steve P wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:

Doc Crows - BBQ

Wow - to each their own I suppose. Personally D.C. wouldn't even make my top 10 list of -just- BBQ joints in town. I've always attributed their success to "location-location-location". That being said it -is- a great place to "people watch" in the hour or so leading up to whatever country music concert is playing at the YUM :wink:

My opinion exactly! Food is not their forte, as you said people watching is great there and if you like a loud atmosphere you certainly get it there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"