Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

Re: Wild Eggs (price shock)

by Rick Boman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Honestly, I'm having a hard time getting my mind wrapped around the idea that this is even an issue on a foodie forum where many of us understand the difficult economics of the restaurant business.

I'd add, though, that grocery prices specifically are dramatically outrunning prices in general. It's almost as if we don't have inflation these days except for food. I can tell you, though, that I put in volunteer time at a large monthly food pantry in the East End, and the number of visitors is way up with an increase mostly among people who have jobs but simply can't keep up with grocery bills. :(

My wife and I have good jobs and two kids, but the grocery bill every week has only risen year after year. I haven't gone to a food pantry yet, but it has crossed my mind. We spend about $200 every week, with $150 being strictly for food.

Ten years ago, we spent about $75 every week on just food, granted my kids were much younger and one was on baby food and formula, but that was $75 with baby food and formula.

Nothing else, except college tuition has jumped 100% in price over 10 years.

I could also veer off topic and ponder why chicken wings cost more than boneless/skinless chicken breast.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Rick Boman wrote:I could also veer off topic and ponder why chicken wings cost more than boneless/skinless chicken breast.

Like twice as much. Is crazy.

Robin, I don't think a price discussion is out of place here. Value is just as much a part of the dining experience as anything else. People should expect to pay more when they get to meet the chicken that lay the eggs they are eating (and tour the free range it happily roams AND get a photo trading card of said chicken to take home), but when they are getting factory made eggs from organisms that were mutated from chickens long ago that come in the big EGGS box from Sysco, they expectation should be different. I don't know which side Wild Eggs gravitates towards, but I think that can certainly be a valid point of discussion when a customer is pondering the value of their meal.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:12 pm

RonnieD wrote: Robin, I don't think a price discussion is out of place here. Value is just as much a part of the dining experience as anything else. People should expect to pay more when they get to meet the chicken that lay the eggs they are eating (and tour the free range it happily roams AND get a photo trading card of said chicken to take home), but when they are getting factory made eggs from organisms that were mutated from chickens long ago that come in the big EGGS box from Sysco, they expectation should be different. I don't know which side Wild Eggs gravitates towards, but I think that can certainly be a valid point of discussion when a customer is pondering the value of their meal.

Another thing to consider especially for restaurants like this is that most breakfast items are not extremely difficult to make at home unlike many dinner choices. They rely on a limited selection of ingredients and take a limited amount of time to cook. That means that many people's perception of the value of the meal when eating breakfast is much different than it is for dinner.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:27 pm

RonnieD wrote:Robin, I don't think a price discussion is out of place here. Value is just as much a part of the dining experience as anything else.

Me too! I totally agree, Ronnie. I'm not sure what I said that implied otherwise. :oops:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:24 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Robin, I don't think a price discussion is out of place here. Value is just as much a part of the dining experience as anything else.

Me too! I totally agree, Ronnie. I'm not sure what I said that implied otherwise. :oops:

I'm guessing the statement:
Robin Garr wrote:Honestly, I'm having a hard time getting my mind wrapped around the idea that this is even an issue on a foodie forum where many of us understand the difficult economics of the restaurant business.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:06 am

Mark R. wrote:I'm guessing the statement:

That wasn't meant to discourage discussion of food economics, Mark. It had more to do with my surprise at this much drama over an extra buck - in a restaurant setting - for an egg. :shock: :lol:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:03 am

Rick Boman wrote:I could also veer off topic and ponder why chicken wings cost more than boneless/skinless chicken breast.

Demand, pure and simple. Consumption of wings has gone up hugely in the last 5 years or so, and it's put pressure on the supply. And demand for wings may even be pushing prices for breasts and thighs down, relatively speaking, if producers are ending up with a glut of those pieces because of the demand for wings.

Robin Garr wrote:That wasn't meant to discourage discussion of food economics, Mark. It had more to do with my surprise at this much drama over an extra buck - in a restaurant setting - for an egg. :shock: :lol:

Which, per my previous post, turned out to actually be an extra twenty cents.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:51 am

Don't know if it's applicable here, but I've seen signs at a variety of restaurants over the price of eggs recently, and how adding egg to your dinner will increase it by $1.99 - $2.99.

/don't like eggs, so they always stick out at me as, "Why would someone pay that for an egg!?"
//except a good quail egg on a burger
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:46 pm

To anyone suffering price shock at any breakfast place, I'd recommend Prospect Breakfast Club. It's much more low-key in terms of atmosphere though so keep that in mind.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:13 pm

Paul S wrote:To anyone suffering price shock at any breakfast place, I'd recommend Prospect Breakfast Club. It's much more low-key in terms of atmosphere though so keep that in mind.

Con Huevos has become my go-to breakfast place, but to be honest, I couldn't even tell you the prices. If I like the food, mood and atmosphere at a locally owned eatery, I'm not inclined to hassle them over making a fair profit on their business. Unless it's crazy, of course. :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:18 pm

We actually love Eggs Over Frankfurt and it was closer we would end up going there all the time!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Mark R. wrote:We actually love Eggs Over Frankfurt and it was closer we would end up going there all the time!

Eggs Over Frankfort is okay, but Con Huevos has more interesting dishes and sources organic and Kentucky Proud ingredients. I'll stick with quality.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:45 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark R. wrote:We actually love Eggs Over Frankfurt and it was closer we would end up going there all the time!

Eggs Over Frankfort is okay, but Con Huevos has more interesting dishes and sources organic and Kentucky Proud ingredients. I'll stick with quality.

Thanks for the recommendation; it sounds like they've got a good thing going there. We'll be sure to check it out sometime.

Talking with the staff, I know that PBC uses some locally sourced ingredients as well.
Previous