Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

City Wok Thai Buffet

by Matthew Landan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:58 pm

best Thai buffet to go downtown. Great curries, chicken red and tofu green. Nice tom yum sweet spicy soup. MMMM for 5.99 lunch and dinner!
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: City Wok Thai Buffet

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Matthew Crow wrote:best Thai buffet to go downtown. Great curries, chicken red and tofu green. Nice tom yum sweet spicy soup. MMMM for 5.99 lunch and dinner!

Matthew, I don't mean to be argumentative, but you and I must have gone there on separate days. I've found it singularly lackluster - the dishes all taste alike, mostly, and lack the sharp focus that I love in Thai cuisine - and I'm a little surprised that the same folks who run Sala Thai are happy about having their name attached to it.

It's not awful like most Chinese buffets - even so-so Thai is better than no Thai. ;) But it's far, far below the lunch buffet at Thai Taste, and I've found it consistently disappointing.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:33 pm

Well this was my first time there and I'll admit I wasn't expecting the best Thai in the world (and I've eaten Thai food from Bangkok to Brooklyn) but for a quick commuter lunch I thought it was good. I really did like the soup and the curries. That was all that I tried.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

City Wok Thai Buffet

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:35 pm

I eat there about 2 times a month and find it to be more than acceptable Thai fare. For $5.99, it's a steal. It sure beats the crap outta the old Chinese City Wok that was there before.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:44 pm

Doogy R wrote:It sure beats the crap outta the old Chinese City Wok that was there before.

No argument there. ;)

But still, when I saw "Sala Thai" on the sign, I expected something better. They're just cutting too many corners in the effort to achieve fast buffet service for a large number of diners.

Try this: Eat their buffet one day, Thai Taste the next. I don't think any more need be said.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:It sure beats the crap outta the old Chinese City Wok that was there before.

No argument there. ;)

But still, when I saw "Sala Thai" on the sign, I expected something better. They're just cutting too many corners in the effort to achieve fast buffet service for a large number of diners.

Try this: Eat their buffet one day, Thai Taste the next. I don't think any more need be said.

I like them both. One I can walk to in literally one minute, the other takes a drive up the road. No problem, just one is more convenient. At City Wok, it's a grab and go thing for me, and at Thai Taste, I usually go with a group and we dine inside. It's all good in the hood.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:08 pm

Isn't Sala Thai different from Thai Taste?
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

City Wok Thai

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:16 pm

Sorry Robin, but I agree with Mathew on this one. I did a post on City Wok Thai a few months ago raving about how great a deal it was. I returned last week and enjoyed it again. Of course it can not stand up to table service Thai food found in many restaurants in the area. But I found their soups to be tasty, the salad and sauces very good, and the vegetarian section quite varied. It is an outstanding quality to price value in my opinion.
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: City Wok Thai

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:17 pm

James Natsis wrote:Sorry Robin, but I agree with Mathew on this one. I did a post on City Wok Thai a few months ago raving about how great a deal it was. I returned last week and enjoyed it again. Of course it can not stand up to table service Thai food found in many restaurants in the area. But I found their soups to be tasty, the salad and sauces very good, and the vegetarian section quite varied. It is an outstanding quality to price value in my opinion.

James, nowhere is it written that everyone here has to agree with me. ;)

I'm pretty set in my ways on this, though, after several visits, but then, I'm rarely a fan of Asian fare on buffets - it's antithetical to the fresh-prepped nature of stir-fries. Frankly, I don't know how Thai Taste does it so well, but small portions and frequent replacement is a big part of that.

I'll give Sala Thai City Wok at least one more chance before I write 'em up.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:18 pm

Leah s wrote:Isn't Sala Thai different from Thai Taste?

Erm ... yes. Did anyone say otherwise? I mentioned Thai Taste as a compare-and-contrast. It's the only other Thai buffet I know of, but judged objectively, there's a world of quality difference.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:19 am

I've not had the new City Wok Thai buffet, but I have had the one Thai Taste. It has been very mediocre every time I've tried it. I would not go there again.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:20 am

Ron Johnson wrote:I've not had the new City Wok Thai buffet, but I have had the one Thai Taste. It has been very mediocre every time I've tried it. I would not go there again.

I'd be interested in hearing your reaction to City Wok.

Let's face it, buffet style is not the way to enjoy Asian food. I would rate Thai Taste's well above mediocre, though, particularly if you focus on the food and don't get distracted by the neighborhood-diner atmosphere.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:29 am

After several less-than-enjoyable experiences at Asian buffets lately, I think the hubby and I are over them. Greasy, soggy, Chinese food just is not tasty OR appetizing, or healthy for that matter.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:00 am

Buffet style is not the way to enjoy any food if you want the cullinary experience. But if you're looking for a quick lunch at a reasonable price that tastes good with vegetarian options then this might fit the bill for you.

I would not take out of town guests here to impress them.

But since I have very few lunch options (I operate and own a coffee shop downtown and have no employees) that don't involve me closing my shop for more than 1/2 hour to feed myself, I'm always on the lookout for eating options downtown that I can rush out to and rush back from in 15 mins or less so I don't miss any business here at Derby City Espresso.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew Crow wrote:best Thai buffet to go downtown. Great curries, chicken red and tofu green. Nice tom yum sweet spicy soup. MMMM for 5.99 lunch and dinner!

Matthew, I don't mean to be argumentative, but you and I must have gone there on separate days. I've found it singularly lackluster - the dishes all taste alike, mostly, and lack the sharp focus that I love in Thai cuisine - and I'm a little surprised that the same folks who run Sala Thai are happy about having their name attached to it.

It's not awful like most Chinese buffets - even so-so Thai is better than no Thai. ;) But it's far, far below the lunch buffet at Thai Taste, and I've found it consistently disappointing.

This doesn't happen often but I agree exactly with what Robin said here.
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
Next