Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

4th Street Live to become dining destination?

by Mark R. » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:18 pm

According to an article today in Insider Louisville, the Cordish Corp. plans to transform 4th Street Live from a "Late-Night Drinking Spot" to a "Dining Destination". Since the entire city of Louisville with the dining destination I'm not sure what they can do to further enhance that position. I'm sure they'll end up bringing in some more national chain restaurants of little or no interest to the foodies of Louisville. It especially felt like a bad time to be doing this with the convention center closing for 2 years.

Here's the article: http://insiderlouisville.com/business/tcb20160212/
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: 4th Street Live to become dining destination?

by James Natsis » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:34 pm

I would say that speaking strictly of the 1 block area that comprises 4th St Live my answer would be "not really." But if we expand 1 block out around the periphery things look a little different:

4th St Live---Bourbon Raw, Brazeiros, Gordon Biersch, and BirraCibo.

Just a block or so beyond--Eddie Merlot's, Sway, Hiko-A-Mon, Oakroom, and Brendon's Catch 23.

Add to that 2 block area 600 hotel rooms and 200 apartments from the Omni, and about 300 hotel rooms from the Republic and Starks buildings' forthcoming hotels. These will all be no more than one block from 4th St Live.

Granted, the Convention Center will close for roughly 2 years. But its obvious that there is a good start, good density, and good potential there.
James J. Natsis
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:36 am

So, is step 1: Kick Cordish out and start over with locals?

Because, otherwise, you know...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:59 pm

RonnieD wrote:So, is step 1: Kick Cordish out and start over with locals?

Because, otherwise, you know...

My thoughts exactly! The area is surrounded by some great local restaurants but 4th Street Live itself has never had any dining choices that were remarkable or memorable in any sense of the word. It's a shame that was a great food culture we have here in Louisville, Cordish keeps trying to pull the wool over our eyes with mundane food choices!

My guess is that their rent is structured so that it's impossible for a good restaurant to survive there and still charge a decent price for their food. The only places I can survive are places that don't require much BOH support nor use quality products in their preparations.

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Cordish or no Cordish this block is going to be priced out of the hands of the typical local establishment. It is flanked by major hotels and a convention center at a downtown crossroads. Which major city offers such a location at cheap enough prices that enable locals to set up camp? My observations are based on considering the basic facts. Others have an ax to grind with Cordish. Besides, Raw and Brazeiros are hardly "mundane" eating establishments. I'm sure Junior doesn't plan on opening a mundane establishment either.

I don't defend Cordish, but rather am trying to keep it real.
James J. Natsis
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Bourbon Raw doesn't really have a menu that's very intriguing nor very large. It's basically a bar menu which you would expect for a restaurant on this type. Brazeiros, is a unique concept but again is there anything on their menu that's very intriguing? It's basically a meat eater's delight but other than that... And the last place you mentioned in 4th Street Live, BirraCibo, also really does all the kids going to add anything to the Louisville dining scene that we don't already have. It's promotion so far say it will have "Artisan Pizza", which we already have it several occasions including Coal's and the Garage Bar among others. It also will have "Craft Beer", from what breweries have not been discussed but we also have a large number of those already locally available.

In addition many restaurants that have potential it opened in 4th Street Live failed quite early in their lifetime, especially though they didn't have major corporate backing. I really don't see where anything has been added to Louisville by the entire complex except for possibly a hole in taxpayers wallets if they pay for all the perks that have been given to Cordish!

User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:35 am

One of the more interesting bits from that piece was this:

The former Sully’s Restaurant & Saloon and The Pub Restaurant spaces are still vacant; Hartless hopes to have tenants for those spots this year and is considering splitting The Pub space into two restaurants.

That contradicts what was said last summer, when Cordish announced four new restaurants that would supposedly bring them up to 98% occupancy. It seems at least two of those were just more Cordish lies.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:One of the more interesting bits from that piece was this:

The former Sully’s Restaurant & Saloon and The Pub Restaurant spaces are still vacant; Hartless hopes to have tenants for those spots this year and is considering splitting The Pub space into two restaurants.

That contradicts what was said last summer, when Cordish announced four new restaurants that would supposedly bring them up to 98% occupancy. It seems at least two of those were just more Cordish lies.

Cordish told lies??? Quit it, it can't be! I worked for that company in 2009/2010 and can tell you that it was by far the dirtiest, underhanded, unethical and immoral company I have ever seen, and I once worked at place that ended up being a front for the Russian Mafia. :shock:
no avatar
User

Ian Hall

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:56 am

by Ian Hall » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:34 pm

We met with them last year when they approached us about The Exchange pub + kitchen. On the front end it looked attractive from the buildout TI money, but the back end of the deal would be a tough one for an independent to take on. Prices per sq ft were extremely high, as was the CAM. They treated us to lunch, we had many great conversations over the weeks, but at the end of the day it wasn't the right fit at the right time. We decided to stay in our downtown of New Albany with our new vision, Brooklyn and The Butcher, a modern steakhouse, and after this past weekend of our opening it looks like we made a good choice to stay at home. Who knows down the road what will come about, but I will say there has been an emphasis on getting someone local. I know of quite a few others in town that have been approached, all with the same thoughts, just too much lease for us to take one which is a shame, because a nice local option could crush it there under the right circumstances. Just my 2 cents.

Ian Hall
BRAND Hospitality Group
http://www.brooklynandthebutcher.com
http://www.exchangeforfood.com
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:45 am

Ian,
Thanks for your first hand insight. My argument insists that this particular block is going to be expensive, no matter who owns it. This is especially evident as the Omni and Convemtion Center upgrades attract more investment and density. Your experience pretty well reflects that............oh, and by the way, the pictures in Buisness First of Brooklyn and the Butcher depict a total class act! Louisville/Southern Indiana is so fortunate to have such incredible restauranteurs who keep upping the culinary scene ante. Thanks for your contribution and may prosperity follow you in all such endeavors.
James J. Natsis
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Cordish is always trying to figure out how to make 4th Street Live "work". They always seem a little behind the times.