Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Great food at Shiraz Holiday Manor

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:34 pm

Brian and I got a chance to go grab a quick bite on Saturday night- with toddler. We were so happy- the food was just as good as we always had on Brownboro Road, possibly even better! While I personally prefer the more authentic atmosphere at the tiny place by Lotsa Pasta (I've forgotten the name :oops: , ) or Grape leaf, the new space is very well done- bright, colorful and comfortable. My Joobeh Kabob was perfectly cooked , nice and juicy with Shiraz wonderful spices. I think the Koobideh kabob & Lavosh for $3.49 , with a huge side of excellent basmati rice ($2.49) ranks up there as one of the best cheap eats in town.

PS. Don't miss their humus. Heavily spiced, it's very different from the others in town and one of our favorites!

DEb
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:32 pm

I agree with all of the above....check out the eggplant as well!
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:22 pm

I love Shiraz and whenever I have out of town folks come for a visit, we invariably head there, among other places. The last time, back in November, we went to the Frankfort Ave location and everyone raved about it. Even my 8 year old nephew loved everything we had. And, believe me, we ordered just about everything on the menu.

I haven't made it to HM location, but intend on doing so soon, being as I am a hop, skip and a jump away. I do believe the far East End is beginning to be the next foodie part of the Ville.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Great food at Shiraz Holiday Manor

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Deb Hall wrote:We were so happy- the food was just as good as we always had on Brownboro Road, possibly even better!

Hmm ... I just realized that I reviewed the HM Shiraz for The Voice a month or so back, but neglected to put it on LouisvilleHotBytes. I need to go back and find it. We loved it too. Similar menu, but a couple of delicious new items as well.

While I personally prefer the more authentic atmosphere at the tiny place by Lotsa Pasta (I've forgotten the name :oops: )

Sahara Cafe.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Shiraz

by James Natsis » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:20 pm

I second Mark's referral to the eggplant. It was extraordinaire!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:38 pm

The eggplant is my idea of fast food- I eat it every couple of weeks or so. If I'm lucky I arrive when they have some of the crust from the rice available- I know it has a name but I can't remember it. I've offered to buy the whole dish of it, but they just give it for free. Gotta love them.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Rice crust.

by Doogy R » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:41 pm

GaryF wrote:The eggplant is my idea of fast food- I eat it every couple of weeks or so. If I'm lucky I arrive when they have some of the crust from the rice available- I know it has a name but I can't remember it. I've offered to buy the whole dish of it, but they just give it for free. Gotta love them.

I wrote a review on Shariz a while back and spoke of that rice. Let me do some research and I'll get back with you.

It's called tadigh, and in Iran, it literally means burnt rice. Here is my review to get a better take. It was written in April, 2006. Shiraz was still in the cottages of Brownsboro then.

Sorry if it's too lengthy.

As I was out and about in between the stormy weather Sunday afternoon, I happened upon a familiar culinary haven on lower Brownsboro Rd. As I ventured into Shiraz’s, I immediately smelled the aroma of fresh baked bread wafting through the air. I walked over to where they sell the bread and the man behind the counter allowed me to take a peak at the clay oven they use to bake the bread. It was red hot and baked the loaves quickly.

After I made my purchase at the bakery, I wandered around the 6 tables and over to the deli case to order some Iranian delights. I started with quinoa, a seed that has been used by Andean Indians for 5000 years. It is a rich, buttery grain-like delicacy that some call the super grain of the future. Shiraz mixes it with a variety of sweet peppers, spices and olive oil. The texture is so wonderful as it flows across ones taste buds. The fact that an ancient Incan seed was being used in an Iranian restaurant piqued my curiosity. I asked one of the owners, Sossein, how it came about that they served it here. He said the other owner, Ramin enjoyed quinoa and decided to add the other ingredients to make it happy. Hey, it works for me.

After that wonderful treat, I ordered the Koobideh Kabob with lentil rice. The dish also came with grilled tomatoes, onion and a huge piece of flatbread, fresh from the clay oven. The kabobs, ground beef in this case, are grilled over chunks of glowing wood in a small hibachi type grill. Once I was presented with my food, I put some of the rice, parsley, tomatoes and onion in the flatbread along with the kabob. This is a fantastic way to enjoy eating the well prepared meal. Weren’t fingers made just for this very reason? The meat was perfectly cooked, the rice wasn’t sticky or hard and the ingredients melded into a splendid flavor.

As an added bonus, on my plate were a couple of pieces of Tadigh. I didn’t know what this was at first, so I inquired and was told it’s the crusty rice that cooks onto the bottom of the pans the rice is prepared in. The texture is uniquely crunchy and the flavor is quite intense indeed. All in all, I enjoyed a great meal, prepared and served by caring people in a very accommodating environment.
Last edited by Doogy R on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

Re: Great food at Shiraz Holiday Manor

by Gretchen D. » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Deb Hall wrote:While I personally prefer the more authentic atmosphere at the tiny place by Lotsa Pasta (I've forgotten the name :oops: , )

I think you might be talking about the Sahara Mediterranean Café at 3701 Lexington Road. I like the atmosphere and food there as well.

We also enjoy Shiraz, and I'm sure the neighborhood out there is glad to see another good restaurant which is a super value.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanks Doogie- I remembered it as Tada-and that just sounded way wrong. I sure wish my burned rice tasted that good.