Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Raves for El Molcajete

no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

Raves for El Molcajete

by Joni L » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:32 pm

My boyfriend and I dined at El Molcajete yesterday, and I had to post a shout-out. The food was phenomenal, service was warm and efficient, and the menu was creative and different. Nearly every Mexican restaurant has the same old same old, but El M does it right!

Chips and salsa were a surprise - the salsa was dark and smoky and served warm. The warm salsa was odd at first bite but it quickly translated into fantastic - had a bit of heat and a savory smoky flavor. It was topped with fresh diced white onion and chopped cilantro. Delicious! My boyfriend likes his food spicy and asked for a hotter sauce and our waitress brought three squeeze bottles (avocado with jalapeno, tomatillo and jalapeno, and a red one that I can't remember). The two I tried were spicy and tasty.

I had the Alambre (skirt steak, bacon, grilled onions, tomatoes, green peppers and cheese). The skirt steak was perfectly seasoned and full of flavor, with fajita-style grilled onions, tomatoes and green peppers and topped with gooey melty shredded cheese. I didn't even use a tortilla, I just ate the meat and veggies with my fork. So good! My sweetie had a chicken burrito queso-style and it was really tasty as well. Everything tasted super-fresh and made with love. My boyfriend, who worked in Austin TX for a few years, said that it was as good as the best Mexican he had there.

Service was great - our waitress switched seamlessly between Spanish and English by table and checked on us regularly. Two dinners and two ice cold Coronas came in under $30 and we left fat and happy!
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Raves for El Molcajete

by RonnieD » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:13 pm

That salsa is very intriguing. Thank you for the heads up!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Which one is this? There's an El Molcajete on South Fourth Street & another one out Preston Hwy.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Lonnie, this was at South 4th.

And I failed to mention that when we arrived, a cook was grilling chicken outdoors on a large grill. Bonus points, in my book!
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:04 pm

We've been once and hope to go back soon. South 4th location. There's a certain warm-tummy feeling you get inside when you enjoy a really satisfying meal. This is one of the more affordable places in town where you get that feeling. El Molcajete!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:02 pm

We love this place. Don't get by there as often as we should.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:21 am

Among Louisville Mexicsn restaurants, it occupies the sweet spot on the Venn diagram between good food, relatively close to home, and pleasant decor. Definitely a go-to for us.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:27 pm

I love this place. Their enchilada sampler, Enchilada el Mocajete, is easily my favorite enchilada platter in town. And yes, the salsa is fantastic and a welcomed break from the typical tomato-based stuff.
no avatar
User

kathy m

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:54 pm

by kathy m » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:31 pm

how secure did you feel parking there ?

and do you think it's big enuf for 8-10 people in a group, in the evening ?
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:49 pm

Lots of love from KGib about the place, will have to check it out soon.

http://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_ ... ch-longer/

It is the same operation as the one on Preston Street, so the menus should be the similar.

(Edit: Just noticed that his review was from 2014! This one has been under my radar for years, it seems.)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:59 pm

SilvioM wrote:Lots of love from KGib about the place, will have to check it out soon.

Here's a review from closer to home. ;)

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/feeli ... l-taqueria