Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Jesse's

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Jesse's

by Richard S. » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:27 pm

I'm hearing the Jesse's Restaurant in Valley Station has closed.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Jesse's

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:35 am

I saw a note about that somewhere recently, maybe on Insider Louisville? Obviously we didn't get out there very often because of where we live vs. where it is but a couple of times we've been there we enjoyed it. The atmosphere was great and the food was pretty good with a lot of variety. I'm sure the people that lived out that way really enjoyed it.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:46 am

Sadly, that stretch of the metro, along Dixie from Shively through PRP to Valley, has never been much for supporting local eats. :( There's Mike Linnig's, and Frontier Diner out near Valley does good eats. It's probably the pick of the bunch, with Jessie's gone.

You'd think those neighborhoods would be excited about real down-home cooking, but I guess the lure of Mickey D and Burger King is just too strong. I think there are a couple of other down-home spots along Dixie - Kathy & Joe's? Christi's? And a couple mom'n'pop Chinese and Mexican places. I don't know why locals don't get more support, though.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:15 pm

Maybe they closed for reasons other than lack of business? Hasn't it been there for a really long time? Seems I remember eating there once at least 20 years ago. Or am I remembering someplace else?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:57 pm

The original Jesse's closed a few years ago. Someone else came in and remodeled the space and brought in a new menu. I grew up in Valley Station but don't have much occasion to get out there anymore. I wanted to check the new Jesse's out but unfortunately waited too long.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:06 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Christi's is the best food on that end of Dixie, and it's not close. Some of the best 'comfort/diner' food in Louisville, in fact.

...and the place is packed every single day

Thanks, Adrian. Sounds like I need to saddle up and head out that way.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:10 pm

Christi's is the best food on that end of Dixie, and it's not close. Some of the best 'comfort/diner' food in Louisville, in fact.

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Adrian Baldwin wrote:Christi's is the best food on that end of Dixie, and it's not close. Some of the best 'comfort/diner' food in Louisville, in fact.

Thanks, Adrian. Sounds like I need to saddle up and head out that way.

I'm trying to figure out how your reply was posted 4 minutes before the post that you quoted! You must have your ESP on overdrive today!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:06 pm

Mark R. wrote:I'm trying to figure out how your reply was posted 4 minutes before the post that you quoted! You must have your ESP on overdrive today!

Makes no sense to me! Maybe the server clock has drifted off from real time? Odd.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:You'd think those neighborhoods would be excited about real down-home cooking, but I guess the lure of Mickey D and Burger King is just too strong. I think there are a couple of other down-home spots along Dixie - Kathy & Joe's? Christi's? And a couple mom'n'pop Chinese and Mexican places. I don't know why locals don't get more support, though.

It's risk-based economics, Robin. If I'm not mistaken that part of town is made up of a lot of mid to low level income families. When you have a strictly limited budget to spend on "dining out" there is far less risk in going to a fast food chain. The food is always going to be of a consistent level (even if that level is low), and you can be confident that the chain is going to provide a non-controversial kids' menu. The level of risk is low and well known (maybe they forget a fries or get a drink wrong, but those are livable). Plus, you know what to expect in terms of time commitment. Fast food is going to get you in and out in minutes, so kids' activities, bed times, parent's schedules, etc. are more easily accommodated.

The local place is a complete unknown. How long will it take to get your food? How much does it cost for a hamburger (I can get one I am sure about from McD for $1.29)? Will they have a kids' menu? Will it be something my kids will eat? Can I get take out? Can the kitchen produce good food? Will it be same the next time I come? Will they have some kind of froo froo food I'm not familiar with? How late are they open?

I'm a busy mom with 3 kids who are all picky eaters and my husband sometimes doesn't get home until 6 or even 7. I don't have a lot of time to do the research to find out if the local place meets all of my needs when I already know that I can depend on McD to provide the same experience every time and it already meets my minimum requirement for "dining out." Do I really want to risk my strictly limited budget on an unknown experience that could be a disaster and I'll just end up at McD anyway? Or do I just go with what I know already works and simplify my life?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50 am

On 2nd thought, "not even close" isn't entirely accurate.

I love Frontier Diner as well. Those two are my favorite 'diners' in town, and both on the Dixie Hwy.

If simple/comfort food in a Diner Setting is what you're in the mood for, you can't go wrong with either.