Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Cooks as servers

no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Cooks as servers

by Will Crawford » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:53 am

Might be hard to pull this off here because of our shortage of kitchen staff. But it is an interesting idea.

http://openforbusiness.opentable.com/tips/why-this-chef-is-opening-a-restaurant-with-no-servers/
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Matt C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm

clifton

Re: Cooks as servers

by Matt C » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 pm

I dont know , ? I cant tell u how many times a guest wanted something cooked diff than chef and i had to buffer or trade a side item that the chef didn't want to , or thought something was a,good idea no one liked and i as a server was a good buffer between the angery chef or cook and guest . Not to mention all the times i had to swallow my pride and get yelled at by a guest who didn't want to pay for something they ate all of and didnt like ! Would the chef or line cook be able to not cuss out the guest the way they they yell at wait staff if they ask for a diff preparation of a special ??
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:47 pm

I was a server for exactly 3 weeks. I was horrible. Thankfully the owner took pity on me and moved me to the kitchen and I've never looked back.

You're going to have to find some really versatile people to fill those positions. But I guess when you find them, they are more likely to stay.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:57 am

I've already thought about this.

He should bring in Bartenders. We're experienced in both production and service. Almost the first staff in, always the last staff out.