Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Paczki

User

sofia.mj

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am

Paczki

by sofia.mj » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:08 am

Are there any bakeries in Louisville that sell paczki on Fat Tuesday? I know Kroger and Meijer carry some, but I was looking for something more authentic.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Paczki

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:36 am

sofia.mj wrote:Are there any bakeries in Louisville that sell paczki on Fat Tuesday? I know Kroger and Meijer carry some, but I was looking for something more authentic.

Sofia, try Jasmin Bakery in Buechel ... it's run by a Bosnian family and specializes in Yugoslavian breads. Also, check its neighbors in the Old Bardstown Road international zone:

Jasmin Bakery
This bright, busy bakery features delicious Eastern European breads, soft, puffy loaves and hero buns; four photos of Bosnian-style gyros and burgers on the wall form the “menu,” and they’re first-rate.
2205 Steier Lane, 458-0013

Golden Key International Grocery
Grandpappy of all the international businesses along the Buechel strip, Alik Gold’s shop offers smoked fish, caviar, sausages and salami and specialty groceries from Russia and all over Europe.
3821 Bardstown Road, 485-9009

Borsalino Coffee & European Pastry Deli
This colorful, inviting coffee shop would fit right in with your Heine’s, Vint or Highland Coffee in style, but the friendly hosts and tasty pastries reveal its Bosnian heritage.
3825 Bardstown Road, 807-5325, https://facebook.com/BorsalinoLLC
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:11 pm

How are they different from just jelly filled doughnuts?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:49 am

I bought a box at Meijer, not really having a clue what they were. They are, indeed, jelly filled donuts. The dough has a yellower tinge, but no discernible difference from a jelly donut...a very tasty jelly donut. :D
User

sofia.mj

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am

by sofia.mj » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:24 am

Thank you, Robin Garr. I tried all the places you suggested but none of them sell them.

Paczki are similar to jelly doughnuts but the texture of the dough is somewhat different--a little denser at top and bottom, which give it a different mouth feel. Also, a traditional paczki filling is prune (my husband's favorite), which is hard to find in a jelly doughnut. I have not seen the prune-filled paczki in the Meijer or Kroger.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:41 pm

Sofia, I'm sorry Jasmin and others don't make paczki. Sadly, we just don't have a large Polish-American community here. I was hoping that the South Slavs might make something similar, since we do have a good-size Bosnian community, but clearly not. :(

It does seem that Whole Foods might have some ... they celebrate Paczki Day on Fat Tuesday! But you'd better check with the local store, as they may do it only in places where lots of people know what paczki are.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/store/event/paczki-day
no avatar
User

AmyBK

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Main St. days, East End nights

by AmyBK » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:18 pm

I was just at the Springhurst Kroger on Brownsboro Rd. and they had prune, Apple and blueberry versions. Lots of prune! They are in the bakery on a table with King cakes. I forgot my readers so can't help with price or maker. That certainly is one way to limit impulse buying!
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:38 pm

The Walmart in Fern Creek has these. I saw raspberry and Bavarian cream. The cream ones are pretty decent. My grandparents were from Poland, but this never was a tradition with them as far as I knew.