Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Marybeth B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 pm

East End

Re: The Seafood Lady

by Marybeth B » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 am

Menu

The link to the menu was on Yelp, but the website is odd. It shows the address as being on E. Kentucky Street (Yelp has it on W. Oak) while the Google map next to that shows a location in San Francisco. The phone numbers match so I'm pretty sure it's the same place.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:10 am

Alicia S wrote:We first visited visited the Seafood Lady about 6 - 8 months ago when she was still serving out of her her home and even then we had about a 30 minute wait, despite calling and ordering ahead of time. I have to give her credit - she had a large and loyal following before ever appearing on WAVE and it was all through social media and word of mouth. Anyone who can go from their home to a food truck to a bricks and mortar restaurant in just a year's time must be doing something right. I haven't returned mainly because I'm not a fan of waiting til forever to get my food but her business model shows that I'm obviously in the minority!

I bet her food is the best ever. And I love her story. But-
There's a big difference in having enough business to keep you hopping when you are operating out of your home or a truck and supporting a bricks and mortar restaurant. That difference translates into a lot of dollars for the small business owner, enough to break wreak havoc on a modest bank account. The lack of public access to necessary info for diners to make an informed decision could be the difference making a living and not being able to pay the utilities. Please don't misunderstand me, I want her to succeed, it's just that if she wants to meet her own goals as to where her business goes (she said she wants to be as big as Red Lobster) she's going to have to do more than what has worked so far. If she is happy (and she may be) with enough work to keep her busy operating out of a food truck or her home then rock on lady! You have arrived!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:08 pm

The restaurant is on W. oak, in the Oak Street Mini Mall at 6th and Oak. She has lines out the door when ever she is open, which is why we have not gone yet. Too cold to stand outside. The pictures on Face Book are drool-worthy, hope to get there soon.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:57 pm

Whenever I see a "lines out the door" comment, I avoid the place. Time is time. However, I stopped by on a whim today for the first time and the food is really outstanding. The line was only about six deep just before noon and I had my food to go at 12:15. So, if you've avoided the place due to time constraints, now might be the time to check it out. Perhaps they've hired more staff, but I was in and out pretty quickly.

There's also an African place on the 500 block that I've not seen before. That might be the next place to visit.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:29 pm

Baraka (African place noted above) has been there about a year, I think. It's quite good.
no avatar
User

Alicia S

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:27 am

by Alicia S » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Carla G wrote:
Alicia S wrote:We first visited visited the Seafood Lady about 6 - 8 months ago when she was still serving out of her her home and even then we had about a 30 minute wait, despite calling and ordering ahead of time. I have to give her credit - she had a large and loyal following before ever appearing on WAVE and it was all through social media and word of mouth. Anyone who can go from their home to a food truck to a bricks and mortar restaurant in just a year's time must be doing something right. I haven't returned mainly because I'm not a fan of waiting til forever to get my food but her business model shows that I'm obviously in the minority!

I bet her food is the best ever. And I love her story. But-
There's a big difference in having enough business to keep you hopping when you are operating out of your home or a truck and supporting a bricks and mortar restaurant. That difference translates into a lot of dollars for the small business owner, enough to break wreak havoc on a modest bank account. The lack of public access to necessary info for diners to make an informed decision could be the difference making a living and not being able to pay the utilities. Please don't misunderstand me, I want her to succeed, it's just that if she wants to meet her own goals as to where her business goes (she said she wants to be as big as Red Lobster) she's going to have to do more than what has worked so far. If she is happy (and she may be) with enough work to keep her busy operating out of a food truck or her home then rock on lady! You have arrived!

Absolutely agree - only time will tell!
Previous