Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Verbena breakfast knocks off cJ's socks

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Verbena breakfast knocks off cJ's socks

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Smitten CJ has 3 1/2 stars for breakfast at Verbena in Norton Commons.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /79108838/
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Verbena breakfast knocks off cJ's socks

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:44 pm

No comment on the review, but we LOVE Verbena! The people are nice, and they know what they are doing. They have a surprisingly broad menu (larger than Wild Eggs or any other of the ilk), and do everything well. Their Chicago roots are quite strong (they used to run a large chain of successful breakfast places up North).

And, while the review doesn't mention it, their kids' menu hits all our grandkids' high points . . .

My only problem is that with her giving them 3.5 stars it'll be harder than before to get in without a wait!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:07 am

I certainly agree with Andrew, I too will withhold my comments about the review but we certainly love Verbena also! Just wish it was closer to us. It's more of a destination meal than it is a drop in for breakfast place.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:28 pm

We've been to Verbena -a lot- and while it remains our "go to" place for those late morning Sunday breakfasts, our family of four recently agreed that the place has slipped - just a bit- lately. Don't get me wrong, the service is still excellent and the coffee some of the best in town but we've had more than a couple of near misses there over the past 6 months...We've had food that has came cold, under cooked, over cooked, eggs scrabbled when you ask for over easy, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, I still like the place WAY better than Wild Eggs but I don't know that I'd give 'em 3 and a half stars anymore...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:28 pm

I took my sons to Verbena for breakfast this morning for a snow day treat. While the food was delicious and the service was fine, my issue was with some of the up charges. My teenage son, a vegetarian, ordered the 2 eggs breakfast platter which came with a choice of meat. He asked for it without. No problem. He also asked for plain hash browns which he prefers over their verbena browns and wanted to substitute white toast for the roll. Both of these substitutions had up charges. The change of browns was $2.95 and bread change was .35 cents. So that would bring the almost $10.00 price for 2 scrambled eggs, toast, and hash browns up to over $13.00. Very overpriced in my opinion. Add a chocolate milk and now it's $15.50 or so. They used to offer a special bread of the day which was always something special, but the roll was a simple looking white dinner roll. Not a usual accompaniment to eggs.
By the way some pieces of corned beef (from the hash) ended up in my son's hash browns, so then he wouldn't eat them. They took off the charge because of that, but didn't replace them.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:08 pm

I've eaten there twice in the past week. Service was excellent and my meals were very good. First time I had eggs b. with salmon. Eggs were poached perfectly and there was a great deal of salmon in the dish. Much more than I was expecting. Given that I think the dish was more than reasonably priced. Today I had eggs Florentine. Again, perfectly poached. Each visit they asked if I would like a coffee to go. Nice touch. Every server, bus person, hostess I came into contact with were genuinely nice and attentive. Guess I'll have to alternate between Verbinia and Eegz.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:50 am

Melissa S wrote:I took my sons to Verbena for breakfast this morning for a snow day treat. While the food was delicious and the service was fine, my issue was with some of the up charges. My teenage son, a vegetarian, ordered the 2 eggs breakfast platter which came with a choice of meat. He asked for it without. No problem. He also asked for plain hash browns which he prefers over their verbena browns and wanted to substitute white toast for the roll. Both of these substitutions had up charges. The change of browns was $2.95 and bread change was .35 cents. So that would bring the almost $10.00 price for 2 scrambled eggs, toast, and hash browns up to over $13.00. Very overpriced in my opinion. Add a chocolate milk and now it's $15.50 or so. They used to offer a special bread of the day which was always something special, but the roll was a simple looking white dinner roll. Not a usual accompaniment to eggs.
By the way some pieces of corned beef (from the hash) ended up in my son's hash browns, so then he wouldn't eat them. They took off the charge because of that, but didn't replace them.

I know it's too late now, but next time I'd suggest he order exactly what he wants a la carte . . . my wife does that there with no problems. In other words, if you were to order 2 scrambled eggs, toast, and hash browns a la carte the total would have been around half of what you paid for a full 'platter' with lots of changes.

Did you ask the manager about the pricing? We've even had the wait staff suggest ordering different ways to lower the pricing!
Andrew Mellman