Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mercato is Delicioso!

no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Mercato is Delicioso!

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:23 pm

Brian, our 11 year old son, and I had the great pleasure of eating at Mercato Italiano during their soft opening. I love their other restaurants and all things Italian, so I’ve been anxiously awaiting this opening. I have to say it exceeded my already high expectations!

The space is a spacious, soaring two-story with large windows, modern Italian touches and a lot of light. Great large bar area for what I’m sure will be interesting cocktails; unfortunately they were a day short of their liquor license when we dined, but it should be in place now. We were seated on the upper loft-like 2nd story, which gave us great views of the open prep station for salads, charcuterie and cheese platters. The Chefs Choice platter was drop-dead gorgeous, and the largest amount of cheese and charcuterie I’ve seen in town. It does requires a lot of prep; I’ll be interested to see how well they can keep up with the large volume of orders they’ll get for this.

The well-designed menu has a great selection of options: gourmet pizzas, Antipastis, crostinis, pastas, and Secondis (main courses). The variety works well to meet many dining experiences- while it’s geared toward a multi-course meal, I could also see coming in for a cocktail and a couple of antipasti, or alternately going with the kids for pizzas. We were thrilled to see some dishes from the much-lamented Cena on the menu.

We were very impressed with the service (especially for a soft-opening); our server was very enthusiastic, knowledgeable about the menu, and genuinely welcoming without being too intrusive. The food was even better- the many dishes we shared were all inventive with outstanding flavors. Our table’s very favorites were: the fried goat cheese balls with pesto & truffle honey (a heavenly Cena favorite), the meatball antipasti (great flavor, and somehow delicate and substantial at the same time), the Costella di Maiale ( huge Flintstone-eque pork chop stuffed with cheese, and wrapped with prosciutto) and the Pollo Arrosto. The latter was the moistest chicken I’ve ever had; conversation with Fernando revealed that the whole chicken was first confit’ed, then finished in their imported brick oven. Wonderful! We will be back soon to try the pizzas and pastas- the one’s we saw at other tables looked great.

The “Market” part was not open yet, but Cristina shared that the plans are to sell the cheeses, charcuterie and house-made pastas they use in the restaurant. The rest of their stock will depend on what they find their customers ( and Norton Commons residents) want. I’m praying that they sell the Burrata in my Beet and Burrata salad- I’d drive ‘cross town for that alone. :wink:

Opening was yesterday- currently open for dinner, but expanding to lunch in several weeks. Get there soon folks- they are going to be mobbed.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Mercato is Delicioso!

by James Natsis » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:52 pm

Nice review, Deb.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks for the review, sounds like Fernando hit another home run but what else would we expect from him!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:25 am

Ate at Mercato last night... One of the best meals I've had (in Louisville mostly, but in life too).

The Old Fashinoned... oh man... it was good. Just on point. My ONE complaint is they should use a big block of ice instead of the regular cubes. One of the best cocktails I've ever had, though... I'm a sucker for blood orange.

Chef's Choice meat and cheese plate... it was delicious. I don't remember the exact meats and cheese, but all were delicious. The sides that came with (mustard, cherries, peppers, onion, fig jam) were excellent as well.

Our server also brought out fresh made focaccia... I'm not sure if it comes with all meals or she just wanted us to know they made awesome bread in house. It was good.

Pasta / Pizza: Both were done perfectly. Noodles were good, pizza was on point.

Pork Chop! This was the show stopper. 28oz pork chop, wrapped in prosciutto, stuffed with cheese... Came out on a huge platter with a knife through the center. PERFECTLY cooked throughout... Every single bite was delicious. The pork alone was fantastic... add in the prosciutto and cheese... oh man. Just amazing.

Came with a nice side of potatoes.

Service was excellent. Staff was super friendly, especially to the screaming children I brought with me (9 month old and almost three year old). One of the chefs handed my daughter an edible flower on our way out the door.

I haven't eaten out much recently, but I think it's my favorite restaurant in Louisville currently.
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:46 pm

Mercato is crushing it.

If you've not been yet then GO!

Dining space can get a little noisy.

pasta = heavenly, pizza's = amazing crust, staff = friendly & knowledgeable.
no avatar
User

Tony H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:35 pm

by Tony H » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Just a little shout out............... Mercato is now open for lunch......7 days a week.
no avatar
User

scott.shanklin

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:44 pm

by scott.shanklin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:20 pm

Short Rib Ravioli

Amazing !!